Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TEX Customer Service?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEX Customer Service?

Well my Textralia OZ700 is up to 1300 miles, most of which are highway, and it still chatters like new. I have to rev it up to 1,500 to 2k just to get going from a stop light to keep it from chattering. I need to know what to do next and Textralia will not pick up or call me back after over a week. I thought they had great customer service.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry if that was a bit of a rant but I am a little pissed that my $$$$ clutch isn't working right. Does any one have any suggestions about how to make this stop or what I did wrong during install, I am at a loss. I'm getting tired of telling people that ride with me, don't worry it is a new clutch and it is supposed to do that.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

When mine was new I found that it would chatter less if I waited for it to start to engage, (let the engine bog a little), before I gave it any gas. It only lasted a couple of hundred miles though and now feels like stock.

Have you tryed to PM or email TEX? If they won't answer you give BYUN a shout. That's who I got my clutch from and he deals with Tex a lot. He should be able to help out.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have talked to the head of tex personally a few times and they have been helpful.
My twin was hell for first 20 miles glad had it in deserted part of town. Then seemed to get better for short time. Then got very grabby for several hundred more. Then at 400 or so had enough and figured it was either going to get better or I would break it and rip it out and put in something else. So I got mean to it. I took the car up higher in rpm and slipped it a bit. I did a second gear slow slip from the line. I just gave the clutch hell and it seems to have helped. The other day at 700 miles or so it seemed pretty good. and seemed like could leave at lower rpm. So I say be mean to it. These clutches really don't need normal 500 mile break in .That is more for organic type of clutches. Did you get the z grip or x grip? Install could be a bit of problem. Did you loctite flywheel and pressure plate bolts, use a torque wrench on install. Torque to spec in star pattern? Did you wipe the flywheel and pressure plate clean with brake cleaner or similar stuff?
Tex can be a bit slow on email and their hours are whacked compared to here. But I would be mean to it and see if it improves.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:24 AM
12 Second Club

The way to get rid of the initial chatter is to do alot of stop and go driving.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Restricted User

My OZ700 has never chattered. I used loctite on all of the bolts and beat on it now and then. I am very pleased with it.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my Textralia 0z700 (z-grip) installed last week.

1st 50 miles had no chatter, next 100 miles had a lot of chatter! ...then the noise backed off again for the next 50 miles.

I'm just over 200 miles on the clutch now, and there is very little chatter at this point. I'm thinking it'll be as quite as stock soon.

I did not do my install, hired a transmission guy to do the work.

But I deal with heavy stop and go traffic while driving into work in the morning, that might have helped break-in. :-)
Old 07-25-2007, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

really just need to drive it more and slip it a tad more to wear it in even. my spec chattered bad at first then got a little better but still chattered after 30k miles and 100+ passes. kinda the nature of a race clutch, its gonna grab harder and not want to slip as much hence the slip/stick or chattering
Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Did you try emailing them? I have been having issues with my Z grip OZ700 and Peter returned my emails. Responding is one issue, and standing behind a product is another. They seem to be decent so far. Calling is a bitch cause of the time diff, I wouldnt bother calling.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Install could be a bit of problem. Did you loctite flywheel and pressure plate bolts, use a torque wrench on install. Torque to spec in star pattern? Did you wipe the flywheel and pressure plate clean with brake cleaner or similar stuff?
Tex can be a bit slow on email and their hours are whacked compared to here. But I would be mean to it and see if it improves.
I did all of the above during the install. I finally got a hold of em and they told me it just needed to be heated up. I had been slipping it out of stops, but they said to really heat it up. So when I got home I put on the e-brake revved it up to about 2k and slipped it for a few seconds. We'll see how it is in the morning.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Well I slipped it on the highway a bit then again when I got home and it is 100 times better.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

My break-in period was pulling out of the shop far enough to do a 3500rpm clutch dump. Highway miles are meaningless to a clutch. Just abuse the living **** out of it and the chatter (and the squeal you will get after that) will go away.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Launching!

I have the exo skel, but it wasnt untill i did a high rpm dump on the clutch did it really start to break in properly.