Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Hurst, Pro 5.0, or B&M?
Pro 5.0
59.22%
Hurst billet
26.21%
B&M Ripper
16.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

which shifter is better hurst,pro 5.0, or b&m

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a B&M ripper in my last SS, and just bought another for my new one, I loved it!!
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now Im confused. My shifter has noise it makes when I change gears, but it doesnt rattle, or make any out of the ordinary sounds when Im not using it. From a daily driver.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

pro 5.0 is great, short shifts, love the 2nd to 3rd gear shift, and i have no idea what everyone is talking about when they say that the pro 5.0 is loud, although i didnt cut my boot. if i were to complain about anything it would be that it seems to be a little notchy when daily driving.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another +1 for Pro 5.0 w/short stick.

I had the factory Hurst for a few years and liked it, but wanted something firmer. I installed the Pro 5.0 with thier normal length stick, and liked it.

But then I got the itch to finally try the short stick that everyone raves about, and son of a gun - I love it!

The Pro 5.0 is a little notchey, but its all good IMO.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to support a company that manufactures in China then buy a Hurst. If you want to support Made in the USA buy Pro 5.0. I haven't driven the Hurst billet, but am boycotting all of their crap. Just my .02 though.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

After a couple of weeks with my new PRO 5.0 I'm really tempted to remove it...
It's unacceptable that a shifter doesn't come back to the 3-4 path and remains on the 1-2.
How are you supposed to shift 2-3 properly?

Nice POS!
Old 04-22-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tici
After a couple of weeks with my new PRO 5.0 I'm really tempted to remove it...
It's unacceptable that a shifter doesn't come back to the 3-4 path and remains on the 1-2.
How are you supposed to shift 2-3 properly?

Nice POS!
wow you are the first person i ever heard say anything bad about the 2-3 shift with a pro 5.0, call them, send it back or learn to drive............ they are great shifters and it is possible to get a bad one in anything, and its not a common thing with them. so i would advise giving them a chance to make it right befor you just bash it........... makes you look pretty dumb when there are thousands of happy customers and one unhappy one..........
Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
wow you are the first person i ever heard say anything bad about the 2-3 shift with a pro 5.0, call them, send it back or learn to drive............ they are great shifters and it is possible to get a bad one in anything, and its not a common thing with them. so i would advise giving them a chance to make it right befor you just bash it........... makes you look pretty dumb when there are thousands of happy customers and one unhappy one..........
I'm not the only one having this problem. It's mentioned on many threads.
I'm not "saying something bad" about this shifter, I'm just reporting facts, not my opinion.

There is a reason why the stock Hurst has a double spring on the passenger side: because the force to bring back the shifter 1-2 to 3-4 are higher than 5-6 to 3-4.
The PRO 5.0 has two single springs with the same strength. How can it be?

Should I really start modifying something new? Is that normal for you?
Do you accept to buy something with good money to discover that it's not 100% complete or not fully engineered?
Should I be happy with something just because thousand of other customers are?
Is that your way to have an opinion? Listening to the others? Why do you have a problem when someone reports a fact?

And please, don’t tell me to learn to drive... it's childish.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow you learn something new everyday! i didnt know that but i did notice it too more effort to push the stock over to 1-2 than it did 5-6 so it makes sense. +1 for hurst billet. Love it w/ my short stick and I'd never change it
Old 04-22-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tici
I'm not the only one having this problem. It's mentioned on many threads.
I'm not "saying something bad" about this shifter, I'm just reporting facts, not my opinion.

There is a reason why the stock Hurst has a double spring on the passenger side: because the force to bring back the shifter 1-2 to 3-4 are higher than 5-6 to 3-4.
The PRO 5.0 has two single springs with the same strength. How can it be?

Should I really start modifying something new? Is that normal for you?
Do you accept to buy something with good money to discover that it's not 100% complete or not fully engineered?
Should I be happy with something just because thousand of other customers are?
Is that your way to have an opinion? Listening to the others? Why do you have a problem when someone reports a fact?

And please, don’t tell me to learn to drive... it's childish.
humm you have obviously over thought this for anyone to make any since to you. your right its junk. i changed my mind because i listen to others. even tho i can jam it straight forward without thought and hit 3rd wide open a 7grand must mean im just the man, because my shifter is a poorly designed piece of junk.

sorry about the driving thing your right, anyone can drive, learn to shift........
Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Teching In

I like my pro 5.0. Haven't had any problems with it.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

I have the Pro 5.0 with short stick and like it a lot. It feels more precise when going into gears. Definitely better than my stock shifter that I rocked for so many years.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Installed my pro 5.0 today and I really like it. 2-3 shift is awesome. I didn't get the short stick yet. I just cut half the threads off of the 5.0 stick and I really like it that way. Just my .02.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my 5.0 holds the shifter in the 1-2 position as well, it doesnt pop the stick back into the 3-4 (neutral position). I think this is normal, as it seems to slide right over into 3rd when i just press it forward. You don't force it over to 3rd, you just push it forward. It takes care of the rest.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

pro5.0 and lous short throw.I have never missed a shift with this shifter.Well worht the $214 in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sakrafice
Has anyone drove or sat in a 08 shelby gt mustang? I unfortunatly work for a dealer ship so constantly moving them and I love the factory hurst shifter it has. What would be the closest shifter I could get to be like that one. Bad thing is I have never driven a trans am with the stock hurst package or any kind of kit, I did buy a shortstick from ws6store but I would like to either get the stock hurst or the billet, im guessing the billet would be better but i really dont know. So should I go stock or get the billet is what i m asking since I doubt imma get something so simular to the gt hurst. Thanks
Yes, I've delivered 30 of them from Flat Rock to Chicago in the last 2 weeks. I dont know what shifter that they are using, but the shifts are nice & smooth, not notchy like in my Z..

I had the 5.0 in my 00 SS, and though it was better for the 2-3, it was notchy & not as smooth & effortless as I had hoped for. I am looking for one for my 2000 Z, & it looks like I'll be trying out the Hurst Billet.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Ok if I were to buy the hurst billet plus, I would like a short stick for it. So I should probably buy the hurst black stick since I'm going to get rid of it, correct? Then what stick should I get? I was thinking LSS but on the website it showed 2 different kinds. One that bends towards you and back and one that only bends back. Which would be better? I'm mostly just a spirited driver with occasional track time.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the WS6 Store short stick and I am very happy with it.

Made my shifts feel a lot better. I miss a gear once in a blue moon now.

Worth $24.99 thats for sure.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just received my Pro5.0 and am waiting on the CobraBob gaskets to do the install. I'm ditching the factory Hurst which is fine for daily driving but not really meant for slamming powershifts.

I'm going to try the Pr05.0 with a Steeda Tri-ax shaft and composite "mosnster" ball **** that I have laying around. Should be a mid length with the **** set back towards the driver and offer decent leverage. I'll give my impressions when it's done.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Banned

how much better are these 3 aftermarket shifters than the factory Hurst base with a short stick? I've not shifted anything but a factory hurst base with an Ebay short stick and i liked it pretty well but if these others are even better than that then I guess I'll have to try one.