Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia or LS7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1Gummi
Just a question Grifter, have you thought about the spec 3 at all???
I have briefly. It seems like the Stage 3+ is the most popular with the best results. But then there's a bunch of feedback like the one below about Spec. It just seems like the Textralia and the LS7 are pretty much sure bets. Unfortunately they're not really in the same league.

Originally Posted by chevyss3460
Stay away from spec clutches and flywheels at all costs. I personaly, along with many of my friends experienced clutch failures with them within the first 6 months after installation.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grifter
I have briefly. It seems like the Stage 3+ is the most popular with the best results. But then there's a bunch of feedback like the one below about Spec. It just seems like the Textralia and the LS7 are pretty much sure bets. Unfortunately they're not really in the same league.
I had a spec stg III on a car with less than 400 rw and it took a huge dump after 8K. Two launches at the track, and unless I'm provoked on the street, I drive normal. Thats it. Garbage. This was 3 years ago granted, but I still hear of people who have problems.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hot Karl
I had a spec stg III on a car with less than 400 rw and it took a huge dump after 8K. Two launches at the track, and unless I'm provoked on the street, I drive normal. Thats it. Garbage. This was 3 years ago granted, but I still hear of people who have problems.
That seems to be the census on Spec clutches. I don't want a clutch that is hit or miss, I need a clutch that can handle the abuse at the track and is able to drive it on the street.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That seems to be the census on Spec clutches. I don't want a clutch that is hit or miss, I need a clutch that can handle the abuse at the track and is able to drive it on the street.

The reason why there is a census is because for a long time this was one of the only clutches people could go with, just in sheer volume has enabled everyone to see how they are.

I know your kicking the idea around but seriously, get the spec and see how long it last. the price diff isnt really much at all.

I just hammered mine yesterday, it took it like a champ and BIT HARD
Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The reason why there is a census is because for a long time this was one of the only clutches people could go with, just in sheer volume has enabled everyone to see how they are.

I know your kicking the idea around but seriously, get the spec and see how long it last. the price diff isnt really much at all.

I just hammered mine yesterday, it took it like a champ and BIT HARD
I thought you were suggesting the Textralia earlier in this thread?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's no comparison between the tex and a ls7......get the tex and never look back. i love mine. 0 issues/complaints. it NEVER slips, no chatter/vibrations, ready to rock right out of the box. worth every penny.....STOCK pedal pressure too, it just engages a little quicker.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

I thought you were suggesting the Textralia earlier in this thread?
I am.

But you seem to really want to kick this around and beat your self up for spending a few extra hundred dollars.

I say get the Spec, drive it and see how long it last.

MY personal exp says depending how you drive it may go 5k ot may go 35K and thats is as long as you get a good one. You may still need a adjustable master cyl to dial it in.

I just got done hammering my tex clutch and its flawless.

But its your money.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
there's no comparison between the tex and a ls7......get the tex and never look back. i love mine. 0 issues/complaints. it NEVER slips, no chatter/vibrations, ready to rock right out of the box. worth every penny.....STOCK pedal pressure too, it just engages a little quicker.
What version; X/Z Grip

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I am.

But you seem to really want to kick this around and beat your self up for spending a few extra hundred dollars.

I say get the Spec, drive it and see how long it last.

MY personal exp says depending how you drive it may go 5k ot may go 35K and thats is as long as you get a good one. You may still need a adjustable master cyl to dial it in.

I just got done hammering my tex clutch and its flawless.

But its your money.
I know, I suck at making decsions, hah. But you're basically telling me spend my money on a clutch that you're not sure how long it will last.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Textralia Z grip here. Had it in for over 6 months. I've been extremely happy with it. No slipping, stockish feel, hardly any chatter, and it grabs and holds like a beast.

Customer service is also top notch if you allow for the time difference.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I ran the LS7 in my 460RWHP 346 and loved it. I don't track my car but did drive it fairly hard ad had no problems at all. It came out with about 5k on it and still looked like new. I went with a RAM DD for the 403 build and it's a great clutch but noisy which is getting annoying. I wish the LS7 would hold my RWT but I'm sure it wouldn't.

Go with the LS7 clutch!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I ran the LS7 in my 460RWHP 346 and loved it. I don't track my car but did drive it fairly hard ad had no problems at all. It came out with about 5k on it and still looked like new. I went with a RAM DD for the 403 build and it's a great clutch but noisy which is getting annoying. I wish the LS7 would hold my RWT but I'm sure it wouldn't.

Go with the LS7 clutch!
But how well did you hook on the street? Most of my aggressive street driving consists of spinning the tires, which is still hard on the clutch but not nearly as hard as dumping it at 4500 RPM and hooking. I am not trying to sway towards the Textralia, I'm just trying to see how much the LS7 can take when it's launched/raced.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

But how well did you hook on the street? Most of my aggressive street driving consists of spinning the tires, which is still hard on the clutch but not nearly as hard as dumping it at 4500 RPM and hooking. I am not trying to sway towards the Textralia, I'm just trying to see how much the LS7 can take when it's launched/raced.
Imagine a stock clutch with about 50% more clamping but no downside. That's how it felt. I pounded on it pretty hard with 315 PS2's on the back and 3.90's.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Imagine a stock clutch with about 50% more clamping but no downside. That's how it felt. I pounded on it pretty hard with 315 PS2's on the back and 3.90's.
Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

I have to say i love my Textralia, no problems, no chatter, and feels almost like stock.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raptorws6
I have to say i love my Textralia, no problems, no chatter, and feels almost like stock.
Does your car see the track?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

There simply aren't enough people with either the Tex or the LS7 clutch reporting the track manners.

Obviously the LS7 isn't a drag racing clutch. But a lot of people want to spend as little as possible and get the most out of it.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I ran the LS7 in my 460RWHP 346. I'm running a RAM Dual Disc now in my 510/470 403. THe ram has been a great clutch as far as manners and not slipping but I'm getting really tired of all the racket (rattle)the dual disc makes. I just picked up a OZ700 in the X grip. Same clamping for as the Z grip but uses an organic material on one side of the disc and ceramic metal on the other. It's their "street" clutch and is supposed to behave exactly like stock as far as drivability. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks wehn I get it installed.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

I run the LS7 clutch and have hot lapped and pushed 3500-4000rpm clutch dumps on it with 315 tires out the back. I've got probably over 100+ track launches on it last year, spent a lot of time at the track. First with Nitto's now have BFG KD tires, it's more street car than track. Never did dead hook like sticky tires (would be suicide for the rear).

If you are pushing serious power 450hp or more and a lot of track time, I'd go Tex. If it's more a street car and you are price conscious, go LS7.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Figured I'd bump this thread to see if anymore info has come up since the last post.

Thanks again for any input.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Launching!

no info but from the stories here i'm sold on the ls7... i wasn't sure but for moderate launches and holding 400rwhp it seems like bang for the buck instead of overkill for my car which wont see more than 450rwhp... unrelated but got some good info from this thread

Quick Reply: Textralia or LS7?