Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Overheat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Overheat?

I was out celebrating tonight (6 people piled into my car with the top down, cruising main cruise streets) and I must've revved the engine a little too high in 1st or second gear or something, because my clutch wouldn't come back up and I couldn't shift. It just stayed depressed. I pulled over and shut my engine off and waited about a minute. I tried the clutch again and this time I was able to bring it up, but not all the way. I could press down on the pedal a little bit without it actually releasing the gears. Eventually it got back to normal.

Is this something I should be concerned about?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your clutch is probably shot. There are a few hydraulic issues that could be causing the problem, but if it's always worked fine and this was caused by you mashing the gas, the clutch most likely needs to be replaced (with a better aftermarket clutch). Do a search on "clutch pedal sticks" or something similar and you will find tons of info on this issue.

And if it happens again before you replace the clutch, which it almost surely will when you get on the gas, try to put it in neutral and pump the clutch pedal until it comes back up.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

How can I need a new clutch already? I only have 55K miles on it. This is also the first time this has ever happened.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mermel
How can I need a new clutch already? I only have 55K miles on it. This is also the first time this has ever happened.
I'm not usually one to tell people to search, but knowing how much info there is on this site regarding your exact issue, I highly recommend doing a search on clutch pedal sticking. You'll find an insane number of threads on the subject with responses that can explain the issue better than I can.

PS - Here is a link to the Sticky in this section titled "Sticking Clutch Pedal Write-up". I would read through it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/742741-sticking-clutch-pedal-write-up.html
Old 02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Alright. Nothing to do while my software updates itself anyway. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

See PS edit to my previous post.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Internet Mechanic

I would try 1st, FLushing the clutch fluid, converting to DOT 4 syn, bleed/ flush from the bottom, its a 2 person job. Try that, from there if id doesnt help, then start pricing clutches.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

slave cylinder has some plastic sleeve in there that can melt, I know this from experience.... dont understand why GM did this but I too wonder if somebody has come out/made one better.......