Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch for a 402 making 500whp give or take a few

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
I dont know whats up with you guys with chattering 3+ 's but every 3+ ive driven did not chtter a bit. Mine didnt even chatter really when i first installed it.

I chalk the majority of clutch failures (most not all) to shitty install and shitty drivers.
so what are they doing wrong? how can they install it wrong, but not other clutches wrong?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by brad8266
I just dont like inconsistencies and I have heard enough of them with that clutch to make me skeptical.

That clutch is too expensive IMO. If they will give my just the disc and plate for a decent price I might be game. I already have a billet flywheel so i wont waste my $$ on another one.
I am sure if you call they could sell individual parts.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

We offer discs and plates seperately...but trying to piece things together can me more costly than buying a complete kit. Remember too that using a SPEC disc with a non-SPEC plate will not provide you with the advertised torque capacity. Another thing to remember is that many of our kits utilize disc thicknesses that are different than stock. All this being said, though you can buy parts individually, doing so may not work out in the long run. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
We offer discs and plates seperately...but trying to piece things together can me more costly than buying a complete kit. Remember too that using a SPEC disc with a non-SPEC plate will not provide you with the advertised torque capacity. Another thing to remember is that many of our kits utilize disc thicknesses that are different than stock. All this being said, though you can buy parts individually, doing so may not work out in the long run. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
I was talking about buying BOP parts serperately.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 AM
11 Second Club

So what are you gonna do if I get the SPEC 3 and I hate it?

how can you compare a LS6 clutch, LS7 clutch and SPEC 3+

go..
Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM
FormerVendor

LS...I have provided lots of info on the difference between 3 and 3+ and my suggestion is to get the clutch that best suits you to begin with...if you don't think you will like the 3 then get the 3+. It is better to spend the money to get what you want the first time then to go through multiple units trying to save money initially only to spend more in the end.

As for a comparison between 3+ and a stock clutch the major difference is going to be found in capacity. Our clutch will have a much higher clamp load and friction coeffecient and thus torque capacity. At the end of the day the stock unit is simply that...a stock unit. If you are going to make good power then you will need a clutch to handle it. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 AM
11 Second Club

doesnt matter, you can say what you want. how do I know Im gonna be happy with it? from the majority Im being discouraged from the 3+ though I wanna give it a try

and for the smartasses that are gonna tell me, try it and see if I like it. no. Im tired of wasting money. I threw around tons of money and Im getting sick of doing trial and error.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:29 AM
11 Second Club

and btw I didnt mean for that to come off as rude
Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

No worries here! Either way, until you drive it there is no way to know if you will like it. I know this is just a thought...but, why don't you ask around and see if someone near you has this kit installed. If so, then you can try it ahead of time. Either way I am just trying to supply you with answers to the questions you have asked. From the sound of things, nothing I can provide via posts on a forum is going to give you with what you are looking for (first hand experience in driving a car equipped with our stage 3+). I could explain my perspective a hundred times over...but I would be considered biased now wouldn't I. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will do my best to assist you further. Thanks and have a good weekend!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're asking for people to basically tell you if you're going to like something before you buy it but just like exhaust or anything else you do to your car it's an individuals preference. some people like a stock feel engagement, others prefer something with a little more bite. Nobody here is going to be able to tell you what you're gonna like. Everyone has told you what kind of clutches will work with your setup now it's up to you to decide witch one you want to buy.

Making decisions like this is part of modding your car and there's always a risk of you not liking the part after you get it in, it's just part of the hobby. If money is the major concern here than that should make your decision simple. Look at all the clutches that people have suggested and buy the cheapest one.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by transAm-98
You're asking for people to basically tell you if you're going to like something before you buy it but just like exhaust or anything else you do to your car it's an individuals preference. some people like a stock feel engagement, others prefer something with a little more bite. Nobody here is going to be able to tell you what you're gonna like. Everyone has told you what kind of clutches will work with your setup now it's up to you to decide witch one you want to buy.

Making decisions like this is part of modding your car and there's always a risk of you not liking the part after you get it in, it's just part of the hobby. If money is the major concern here than that should make your decision simple. Look at all the clutches that people have suggested and buy the cheapest one.

I guess Im just mad that Ive been spending lots of money for nothing lately, because stuff went wrong on my car... nothing drivetrain related, really. more like engine related.

that and I did 2 months of research on what diff to buy and I went with the Moser 12 bolt and I really dislike it.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya i've been there too. but that's just part of modding. you either have to just learn to live with it, or take the loss and sell it and try something else.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

triple disc mcleod, drives better than stock, doesnt eat hp and holds triple the capacity of a ls6 clutch...
Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Well although Im gona keep the LS7 clutch on for the first few hundred to a thousand miles.. I still have almost narrowed it down..

the SPec 3+ is an option, but what is the difference between 3 and 3+ if the 3+ chatters less... why is this?

and maybe the textralia...

I was considering the McLeod Twin disc, but for now it seems like its gonna cost me an arm and a leg. theyre really pricey and I know theyre worth it, but I duno if I can afford that now...

edit:
and Im unure about the other brands:
Ram, Cartek, etc.. no one got specific about those yet..
Old 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
edit:
and Im unure about the other brands:
Ram, Cartek, etc.. no one got specific about those yet..
Hi LSGunZ28,

Did you get my email to you with the video attached?

I didn't get any confirmation, that's why I am asking...

Christian
Old 03-30-2008, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

yes I did I believe and I watched it...
Old 04-02-2008, 04:02 AM
11 Second Club

yesno
Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Just another option on the market for LSs that you may want to look into...

Mike Peters is a professional drifter and his weapon of choice may appear to be a Nissan 240, but it packs a LS Magnacharged power plant that we thought would be a great test bed for a Zoom D2 twin disc clutch set up.

Now for those that have not had seat time in a drift car you should know that 'clutch kicking' is one of three techniques of initiating a drift. You'll see Mike doing so... at over 6000RPM in this video link!

PS. He installed this Twin Disc over a year ago and is still running it today!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhQXEz06v7s

... may want to keep Zoom as an option.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

If you are gonna drop the cash on a 402 why would you go cheap on something as important as your clutch. If you already have a 402 and want room to grow, a twin sounds like a pretty logical step. At least get a NICE single.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

McLeod Revised Rev Lok II Sintered Iron Disk clutch, long name AWESOME clutch. I had hundreds of passes at the track with ET streets and 5k dumps plus thousands of street miles and when we had it out it looked perfect! It was very street friendly. I never hear people talk about this clutch, but if my new build is a m6 it will have this clutch and a mcleod adj. master. My .02
Paul

Quick Reply: Clutch for a 402 making 500whp give or take a few