Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone done the so-called Anti-Venom Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone done the so-called Anti-Venom Mod?

I know the vette guys are all about the so-called Antivenom mod where you either replace or shim out the bolt that holds the pre-load on the neutral detent (proper name??) ball in the tranny.

it's supposed to eliminate notchiness:

"The bolt is on the passenger side of transmission. You cannot see it but if you reach up toward top of trans on passenger side about mid ways of transmission you will feel a bolt going in side of trans. It is a 15/16 or 24mm, either size works, bolt and you just take it out. No fluid will come out and no spring to fly around either.
I used two of the 13/16th copper drain plug washers on mine. About 1/16th total thickness with both washers. Just place them on bolt and tighten bolt back up again."

any thoughts?????
Old 03-24-2008, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

is this only in the vette version of the trans?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by w02ramair
is this only in the vette version of the trans?
that is what i don;t know. i cannot find a pic.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of it.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I did it before I found the official mod, did mine with nuts though, was a pita, bolts is better idea, it would center the shim(bolt) when clamping the plate down. You take off the shifter plate and put a cut out bolt on the 2 springs on the sides of the shifter. The idea is to create more pressure to return it to the neutral position from the side to side positions. The convenience is to not have to find a replacement spring, just compress it more. I must have had it pressed down farther than the binding point, because after a while it didn't work as well as it used to. Which reminds me that I need to find a stiffer replacement spring.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "bolt" at the passenger side of the case is a detent capsule. It provides fore/ aft load for your model T56. The guy above is talking about a mod to the shifter . The "shim" under the plunger will lessen the fore/ aft load. This may actually make the feel of the stick vague and wallowy- what is th point of this mod?- I wouldn't do this. The shifter spring mod( Hurst or other shifter - this is not possible on the std factory shifter) will affect the centering load of the stick.= it will make a higher load required to leave the neutral/ 3rd/4th gate. Hurst sells higher spring load kits for their shifters. Fabricating blocks or stops that cause the springs to collaps is not a good long term mod. As you can see these are two different mods.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calhoon
The "bolt" at the passenger side of the case is a detent capsule. It provides fore/ aft load for your model T56. The guy above is talking about a mod to the shifter . The "shim" under the plunger will lessen the fore/ aft load. This may actually make the feel of the stick vague and wallowy- what is th point of this mod?- I wouldn't do this. The shifter spring mod( Hurst or other shifter - this is not possible on the std factory shifter) will affect the centering load of the stick.= it will make a higher load required to leave the neutral/ 3rd/4th gate. Hurst sells higher spring load kits for their shifters. Fabricating blocks or stops that cause the springs to collaps is not a good long term mod. As you can see these are two different mods.
yes.. they are 2 different mods.

i had heard that the antivenom mod.. (the one that messes with the detent) eliminates notchiness. any idea about that>?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think by decreasing the shift detent, it would cause a more unpleasant & notchy shift. Were did the "anti venom" name come from?

Quick Reply: Anyone done the so-called Anti-Venom Mod?