Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will go out and snap some pics for you as soon as It quits raining, its been stormin and puring the rain non stop since I got done working on my car last night, and I dont think its even suppost to stop till tomm.

See I dont have my crossmember in yet so the tranny is still sagging in the rear but from the looks of it the hole I cut is perfict, Cept I think Im going to have to trim a little bit more off the front. But Id rather It be a bit too small at first, than way to big and all screwed up.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

HAHA I hear ya man. I put my lower boot down and marked it out then cut it quite a bit smaller but I think I need to come over about an 1" more on the passengers side.

Good news though....I got my motor all tore down and everything looks great. I ordered the wrong oil pump pickup so I'm about to order that so it will be here by wednesday. Check my post I'll be adding some more pics in about 10 minutes
Old 05-11-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds good man, and yes I was looking at your pics where you cut your hole out for your shifter and it did look too me like it might need a bit more off on the pass side like you said. I know mine is perfict width wise, I just need to take a little bit off the front so its good length wise.

What you have done so far looks good, I hate having to wait on parts its the little things that eat up time. and can be the most frustrating in doing something like we are.

I am going to try and get an LS2 starter tomm, i think you can order them from autozone for like 250 plus core or so. sux, but i have no other option except get a new ls1 bellhousing and id rather spend the money than pull everything back apart again.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah thats shitty man but thats how it goes sometimes. These little extra things are eating up all of my cash right now

The rod bearings and oil pump pickup will be shipped tomorrow, my pressure plate bolts and flywheel bolts will be here on tuesday. I'm going to try to get the motor back under the car by saturday afternoon and hopefully running the weekend after. I've waited too long for a 6 speed car to rush everything at the last minute, but you probably have the same feeling.

But hows your wiring going? I need to start looking into that part more. I had it all figured out but work is overwelming me with info lately and I forgot it all LOL.

Hopefully it will stop raining for you long enough to finish your car. BTW what are you doing about the reverse lockout? I think I'm going with the resistor on the brake light switch to the lockout, but am still up in the air right now.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EDIT: I'm Blind.

Why don't you just ask to see the LS2 starter and compare them before you buy one? I don't see why they would use a different one, its cheaper for them not to.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its sucks because no one around here has one it stock anywhere, they all have to be ordered. I did a thread search forever and I did see something about the starters on the 6.0L being diffrent, and smaller, so i think im good if i just buy one, I had them compare the part numbers and they where also diffrent from the LS1 but the same for 05-and 06 GTO's so I ordered one, cost me 255 dollers plus a 35 doller core. It comes in Wed. so we will see i guess. worst case if it doesnt work ill just take it back.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Default clutch

Originally Posted by Black99T\A
tonight I finished everything up under the dash. Installed the column hooked all the wiring connections back up, put everything back together and the car started and my autostart still works! So I must have done something right lol.

Tomarrow Im going to remove the center console and start taking the auto transmission out. Ill post more pics tomm night.

But here are the Pics from tonight.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...1/IMG_1793.jpg
Everything is buttoned back up.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...1/IMG_1794.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...1/IMG_1795.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...1/IMG_1796.jpg

I have a Question for you guys im sure someone has to know? Why does My Clutch Pedal Sit about 1 inch lower than my brake pedal???????

Is it because my Master line is not hooked into my Slave yet or what???????

If I try to pull up on the pedal it wont budge at all?? I hope someone can tell me an answer to this please its got me kinda worried. You can see what im talking about in the above picture.

Buy the way Thanks for all the comments Guys! More pics will be coming soon!
*NO NEED TO QUOTE PICS
Needs to be bled bro!

Last edited by CRAGER; 05-27-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

I just ran into the exact same problem. My T56 is from a GTO, and it has a GTO LS1 Bellhousing, which also has issues with the LS1 starter. Starters are also impossible to get locally in a short time, so I'm getting an Ls1 bellhousing from a friend and reinstalling the tranny with that one.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just wanted to check in and let you guys know that the issue with the clutch pedal is fixed. I had to take my master back off and redrill the holes because It was mounted too low. This fixed the problem because now my clutch pedal is even with the brake pedal. The system is now bleed too thanks to a Mity Vac that I picked up today from ORilly (spelling) for 35 bucks.

I also Installed the Tranny Mount and Crossmember.

Things that are left to do is install the driveshaft and exhaust, do all the wiring, and I have to cut out my hole a little bit more for the shifter to come through perfict.

Then I need to flush the tranny out with some fluid and then refill itn with some good stuff. I have 4 gallions of Valvoline Maxlife in my garage, says its good for Dex|Mer transmissions Is this stuff ok to use?? it says to use only DEX 2 on the side of my tranny.

Other than that all I have left is to install the console back and get it flashed to a 6-speed. then sometime next week Im going to put all new bearings in my rearend and install 3.42 Gears because right now I have 2.73's and thats goin to suck at life with a 6-speed

Im goin to eat supper and then go back out and work on it somemore. Ill try and snap some pics.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Here are the Pics From tonight

Hole is cut shifter is mounted (stick was on just to shift through the gears)

Pedal now sits in the right position

One More

New Master Location

Transmission is all mounted up

Ok I just have one question for you guys, I installed my shifter stick just so I could see how all the gears felt. all of them feel good except for 6th, it seems like when I shift to 6th gear it barly goes in, like the throw is alot shorter than 1st through 5th? seems like it doesnt go in all the way or something, it doesnt click hard like all the rest of the gears is this normal?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Looking good man, get that wiring done and that exhaust back up so you can drive the thing BTW I have heard to use the Mobil 1 ATF, suppost to be the ****. Its what I'm going to run if that means anything haha
Old 05-13-2008, 02:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did you use the A4 Crossmember?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

no, I used a t56 crossmember the A4 one is diffrent
Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Looks good dude i got mine done last thursday just have the wiring left. I think i messed smothing up tho cuz i dint have too add wire on to the VSS it reached fine so what i do wrong
Old 05-13-2008, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1slow
Looks good dude i got mine done last thursday just have the wiring left. I think i messed smothing up tho cuz i dint have too add wire on to the VSS it reached fine so what i do wrong
VSS has reached fine on your's being the third swap that I know of.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Black, sorry i havnt gotten back to ya in a while. i havnt worked on the car for about 5 days or so or been on Tech. got back on it tonight. i see you fixed the problem w/ the clutch pedal. thats awesome dude! now it looks like i will be doing the same. what did you do to move it up? did you hog the hole out higher and drill two new holes for the bolts? lookin good by the way!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

black99 what clutch are you running? I didnt read all of the post so i dont know if yall talked about it but i think the u bolt is on the master for a reason. So If the clutch gets stiff or anything it wont break the ears off of the master. I might be wrong tho. good luck. Everything looks great!
Old 05-14-2008, 04:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1slow
I dont know that u would have messed anything up, seems that you just found a way to route it without having to extend the wires. are they really tight, they should prob. have some slack just to be on the safe side. I did my wiring tonight and It was a breeze. Ill post pics tomm. Good luck on the rest of your swap, and let me know if you need any help.

Originally Posted by Omec
Hey Black, sorry i havnt gotten back to ya in a while. i havnt worked on the car for about 5 days or so or been on Tech. got back on it tonight. i see you fixed the problem w/ the clutch pedal. thats awesome dude! now it looks like i will be doing the same. what did you do to move it up? did you hog the hole out higher and drill two new holes for the bolts? lookin good by the way!
Yeah I tried to bleed the system with the clutch pedal the way it was before and it had no throw to it at all and felt like crap. So I moved the master up by boring out the master hole a little more at the top with a little buz saw, kinda like a miniture sawzaw. worked great though. other than that though, I just drilled one of the holes up higher and then just bored the other one out a little bit. just look at my pics and make sure your bracket sits about as high up from the (stud) as mine does and you should be fine. BTW this time around instead of removing the steering colunm and all that fun stuff, I just removed my brake booster makes life ten times easier and made getting to the master bolts a breeze.

Originally Posted by 2001AntiVenom
black99 what clutch are you running? I didnt read all of the post so i dont know if yall talked about it but i think the u bolt is on the master for a reason. So If the clutch gets stiff or anything it wont break the ears off of the master. I might be wrong tho. good luck. Everything looks great!
I am just running a Brand new stock clutch kit with a new stock flywheel. I dont know about the U-bolt thing, I know there are alot of people on here that are just using bolts, I dont know if the u bolt actually does something, or if it was just something that made assembling the car faster as it when down the line. Thanks for the complement

Hey guys I got a LOT of work done on the car tonight im too tired to post pics, but I did take a few and ill post those up tomm.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black99T\A

Yeah I tried to bleed the system with the clutch pedal the way it was before and it had no throw to it at all and felt like crap. So I moved the master up by boring out the master hole a little more at the top with a little buz saw, kinda like a miniture sawzaw. worked great though. other than that though, I just drilled one of the holes up higher and then just bored the other one out a little bit. just look at my pics and make sure your bracket sits about as high up from the (stud) as mine does and you should be fine. BTW this time around instead of removing the steering colunm and all that fun stuff, I just removed my brake booster makes life ten times easier and made getting to the master bolts a breeze.
thanks man. ill be doing that soon i guess. i wanna work on it tonight but allergies are KILLING me!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Hey guys T56 SWAP IS DONE!

and I drove the car all night, I actually just got home and its freakin awesome!

Here are some pics of last nights work, I finished the little stuff up today so I really dont have any pics. all I did today is bleed the clutch 2 more times, and put the exhaust back on and hooked up the VSS and put on my LS2 Starter.

Here are some Pics

Wiring

One more

Cut your plug off and strip all the wires. Purple w\ white stripe and Dark Green wires go to the Neutral safety switch on clutch pedal. Get the pigtail if you can mine had it on there so all I had to do is match up the colors and it worked perfict, If you dont have a pig tail then use trial and error till the car turns over, it can only go 2 ways.

Just connect orange w\black stripe and Black w\white stripe together, this will allow your hatch release to work.

Light green and Brown go under the car to the reverse light switch (pass side), again if you have the pigtail then just match up the colors, they are the same colors on the pigtail as they are up in the shifter harness. If you dont have a pigtail youll have to fab up something but it doesnt matter which side of the reverse light senser the 2 wires are pluged in to.

Thats it guys, Im going to go Chevrolet Dealership tomm. and see if I can get my computer reflashed to a 6-speed. and next week im going to try and get my 3.42's put in. These 2.73's are crazy I can prolly do like 80 in 2nd gear lol.

well I was going to try and not do anything with my reverse lockout so I dont have anything hooked up too it right now but It didnt work out like I had planned because I cant get the car into reverse without turning it off and then starting it in reverse. so Im going to have to do something about that. dont know if im going to put it on a switch yet or what. anybody got a good write up about how to hook it too a pin on the PCM? so it works like factory?

Thanks for everyones help and if you guys have any questions about anything hit me up and i will try and help you out as best as I can.

Quick Reply: My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning