Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job man hopefully I'll be in your shoes soon, like next weekend Was it worth all the work? Or would you do it again?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah It was diff. worth all the work. I would do it again in a heartbeat, especially since now that ive already done it once it wouldnt be quite as hard the next time around.

Im going to the dealership tomm. to see if they will reflash my computer, and I gotta get rid of these 2.73's they suck, the gears are so long its stupid.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black99T\A
well I was going to try and not do anything with my reverse lockout so I dont have anything hooked up too it right now but It didnt work out like I had planned because I cant get the car into reverse without turning it off and then starting it in reverse. so Im going to have to do something about that. dont know if im going to put it on a switch yet or what. anybody got a good write up about how to hook it too a pin on the PCM? so it works like factory?

Thanks for everyones help and if you guys have any questions about anything hit me up and i will try and help you out as best as I can.
It should be in the sticky up there somewhere. I have the info for a 98, but not for 99+. I'm glad to say that mine works, thanks LS1Tech!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should go into reverse without the lock out hooked up and while the engine is running... You have to use some muscle to overcome the solenoid though. The solenoid is "out" when it has no power. So it defaults into the locked out position. I drove my car like that for a bit until I hooked it up to the button on my shifter. (hurst sidewinder)

If you dont want the lock out to function, you can also remove the solenoid and plug the hole. But I know there are write ups on how to make it function like it did from the factory. I was going to do that, but figured a switch on the shifter was easier.

Good work getting it all together and working properly!!!

J.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well i'll definitely be using this thread to help me out during my 1st A4-M6 swap. Thanks alot guys for the pics they help out alot.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Im going to the dealership tomm. to see if they will reflash my computer, and I gotta get rid of these 2.73's they suck, the gears are so long its stupid.

LOL I just finished the swap too and I have 2.73's also, I agree they do suck pretty bad with the M6. Good luck at the dealership, hope they get it reflashed for you. I wish I had done the swap along time ago, my car is way funner than it was with the vig 3600 that it had.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

You said that you coulb probably do 80 in 2nd with the 2.73s and I'd bet you could get close to 80 in first LOL. I looked up the gearing somewhere on here and with 4.10s at 7000 rpms in 1st it would be going 49 or something like that. Great post BTW hopefully they will move it up to the sticky, then I'll add all of my pics to it and have an LS and LT A4 to M6 with all of the info in the same spot
Old 05-15-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have pics of the VSS wiring?
Great job by the way
Old 05-15-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys, I called every dealership around me this morning and all of them gave me the run around, acted like they really didnt know what I was talking about. heres what the guy said "We can only put the computer the way it came from factory" I was thinking yeah i want the factory tune just the six speed one. didnt feel like explaining so I just went to a local speed shop and the guy there did it with hp tuners and removed cags while he was at it.

Car Is running good now and all the lights on my dash are off and everything. Only problem I have now is My speedo is still way off, hardly working, and I dont know why? I extended the VSS harness and pluged it into the VSS Sensor on the T56. When Im driving at highway speeds my speedo reads anywhere from 25 to 30 MPH?? anybody know whats up, nothing changed after the tune eather.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

They have to change something in the PCM for the M6. The VSS for the auto reads different compared to the M6. I have heard that your speedo will be slow by 50% or so. HP tuners probably just got rid of the cags light and a few other SES codes that may pop up. But you will have to have the PCM reflashed for the M6 as far as I know. I might call Ion tomorrow before I send him my PCM to see what needs to happen to try to help you out a little.

I got tomorrow off work so I'll be out working on my motor/car all day tomorrow. I'm hoping to get the motor back together and get my rearend swapped out and mabye the motor and tranny under the car again. But I'll have to see how everything goes and I have to help my brother get the motor and tranny set down in his S10 too, but I'll take alot of pics for anyone interested.

I'm still stoked for ya man, I'm glad you got theat thing all done. I may have some wiring questions for you tomorrow night, but yours might be way different so I'll have to wait and see.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey thanks alot, it would be great if you could find out something for me I would really appriciate it

Let me know if I can help you out with anything, Hope you get your car done this weekend, you will love it when you get it done, there is nothing as fun as ripping through the gears of a T56, especially with your setup you car should be pretty stout from the looks of it, goodluck and again let me know if you need help with anything. Thanks
Old 05-17-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Damn dude you got *****, on jackstands no less. I coverted a 2nd gen from an auto to a 4speed and it was a *****.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Hey thanks alot, it would be great if you could find out something for me I would really appriciate it

Let me know if I can help you out with anything, Hope you get your car done this weekend, you will love it when you get it done, there is nothing as fun as ripping through the gears of a T56, especially with your setup you car should be pretty stout from the looks of it, goodluck and again let me know if you need help with anything. Thanks
You need to have the M6 tune flashed to the PCM, and make changes for the gear ratio in the tune as well. The speedshop should have known how to do it, it's extremely simple.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ill have to call them the first of the week and see if they can get it fixed, and yes your right it should have been done the first time. I dont think he will charge me anything to fix it though.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Hey sorry man, I didn't have time to call Ion about the reflash, I barely had time to send my PCM out and fill out the order sheet LOL. But my car has a shift handle sticking through the hole in the floor now My buddy helped me put my motor back together and I have almost everything hooked back up and will finish everything up by the weekend so I can drive it again, its been about 8 months so its time to get some miles on it. And I didn't get any pics because my wife took my camera. The only real problem that I ran into was the hole I cut in the floor, the shifter hits on the very back so it needs a little trim and everything is golden.

I'll have some more updates and pics later this week. Everything still feeling good with your car?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thats great man, sounds like your making alot of progress. I had to trim up the hole for my shifter a little bit too after I got everything mounted up. Im going to call the guy that put the tune on my car tomm. and see what he can do about the speedo, im sure he can do something about it. Other than that Ive put close to 500 miles on my car now and have been gettin on it a little bit from time to time and Its awesome. feels like a whole new car and is 10 times funner to drive. Im hoping to install my gears sometime this week hopefully. Good Luck on the rest of your swap.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks man, I installed my clutch disk in backwards so I need to pull the tranny back out and turn it around again, long story, and I need to trim the hole a little more and then everything should be good. I can't wait to see how my motor runs with a "freshening up" and a tranny behind it that isn't slipping and not doing what its suppost to, it should be a handful......I hope it is anyway.

I'm probably going to get up extra early a few times this week and go to my parents to get the tranny pulled out and reinstalled and finish up the wiring that needs to be done, hopefully my brother will have time to give me a hand a couple of days. But I should have it 100% done this weekend, with the exception of my reverse lights, but I'm not too worried about that right now.

BTW you need to change your sig now
Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

OMG this is starting to turn into a swap from hell. When I got my disk from spec it was labeled "F.W SIDE" on the flat side of the disk. At first that is how I had it installed, but my brother talked me into turning it over before it was put in the car. So now the raised side is towards the flywheel, everything seems ok. Then I put up a post on here and it was answered that the raised side is suppost to be towards the pressure plate. So yesturday I went out to my parents and pulled the tranny and fipeed it back so its like SPEC said with the raised side to the pressure plate. Now my shift fork won't go into the throw out bearing. Talked to spec and they saide that the raised side is to go into the flywheel.....well thanks alot how about labeling your **** right from the factory. So now I have to get up early again tomorrow and go out and yank the tranny again and put it back the way I had it the first time. My car should have been done and sitting on the ground and driveable tomorrow when I get my computer, but no

Sorry but I'm pretty pissed off right now, I should have just stuck with my gut and left it the way it was
Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man That really sucks, but I know how you feel, I felt like that when my pedal wasnt right, it really started to irritate me, well actually I was pretty pissed from time to time. Believe me though it will be worth it in the end, and you know that they say, its always the little stupid stuff that takes the longest, I know thats how things went with my swap, goodluck man and I hope everything goes back together ok. oh yeah BTW I had to pull my gearbox off the bellhousing after everything was already bolted back up cause the stupid vent tube was stuck between the 2. suks but you will get it eventually. let me know how things go, and let me know if you need any help.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

I have everything back together except the rearend and the new sway bar. Tomorrow I should be able to bleed the clutch out and finish up the wiring and install the rear end. Just a bunch of little things right now but if I get motivated I should have it finished tomorrow afternoon. This morning I went out and took the old rear out and wleded up my exhaust hangers, but I lost some motivation and then had to go to work but its comeing together. Me and my brother pulled the tranny and basically did a clutch install in an hour flat, granted I didn't have to pull the drive shaft or exhaust but its deffinately not an 8 hour job like I have read now and then.

But hopefully tomorrow night I'll be able to give my input on whether or not it was worth it LOL I'm glad your loving it

Quick Reply: My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning