Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch stuck down!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch stuck down!

I know, there is a HUGE sticky on the issue. I am a relative newbie to most of this so go easy on me. I go to get in the car for work this morning and the clutch is stuck completely down on the floor. Eventually got it into neutral but clutch is still stuck down and car won't go into gear at all.
This is from the Manual Transmission forum, I need some help quickly as I'm going to need my car for work soon!

I wasn't driving the car hard yesterday as I drove a lot of highway miles with little shifting. I guess when I parked I had no idea the clutch was even stuck down as I got out.

Either way, fucked with it for a few minutes and got a friend to drop me off at work.

As a newbie, what is the first and easiest thing to do to try and fix this problem here?

I don't have any clutch slipping / grinding whatsoever. The car has 53k miles and is a 2000 z-28. I never had ANY problems up until now since I bought it used about 3 months ago.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be that the circle clip came off where the petal and the master cylinder connect. Check to make sure the silver piece coming through the firewall is connected through the pedal. THe clip goes on after they are connected.

You will have to pretty much get in your car head first looking up under the steering wheel... its definately an interesting position. Grab a flashlight too. Oh, and if its stock you probably have to take off the panel under there... i think its 4 8mm screws? Been a while since ive been under there. If you know where the OBD2 scanner port is your in the right area.

If its not that, you probably have a leak somewhere and will need to replace whatever it is and bleed it.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Something as simple as that clip would be awesome! I don't think i have a leak anywhere, since i first purchased the car i would constantly check underneath for fluid leaks and never found anything.

If it isn't a leak, what else could cause it?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It is the clip. Same thing happened to me after my new clutch was installed. The guys that did the install decided to use a plastic clip instead of a metal one. The plastic one broke, and my clutch pedal sat on the floor. They came, installed the new clip (warranty) in about 2 minutes, and I was off and running again with no issues.

Change out the circle clip and you should be good to go.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Let's hope so. Car is at home right now, so I'll definitely update when I get back to it. If anyone else has any other input I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for everything guys
Old 06-03-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

figure it out?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Nope! Was a great Monday yesterday! We got home ( my fiancee picked me up from work ) and our dog had peed on the floor I guess. So next thing you know I hear her screaming as the toilet was pouring into the bathroom and hallway as she threw a huge wad of paper towels in there to stop it up!

Ended up wasting several hours taking care of that ****, and after that I was just too tired to even look at it. My goal is to look at it after work today, let's hope something doesn't come up, as I want my car back.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, got home today and got down there and just lightly pulled the damn thing out. Now it works fine, wtf!

Does that happen often? Should I be worried about that?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hummm. I dont know why it would do that.
Hopefully it was just a fluke.

If not could be something funky with the master.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
hummm. I dont know why it would do that.
Hopefully it was just a fluke.

If not could be something funky with the master.
What are the odds of it being a fluke Mac??

This may be a dumb question, but have you checked if you have any clutch fluid in the reservior? You might have air in the system. I'd bleed it just to make sure.

Only other suggestion is to update the Master and Slave cylinders.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

but if there was air in the system, it wouldnt just come back... atleast not in my experience. Usually it would have to be pumped a few times to even be able to get the clutch to disengage. And then after sitting, it would do the same.

I agree wtih Julio, make sure there is plenty of fluid... Check to see if there is even anything missing. If there is, you may have a small leak.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Well, this car hasn't been a daily driver. Unfortunately after driving it this weekend now the clutch is just generally sticky! ****! I thought i got lucky...

It's either when driving to drive it hard off the line, but shifts fine during normal driving.

Also, it tends to stick down when pulling out of parking lots ( generally areas when I'm holding the clutch in waiting for traffic, etc ). but once I'm on the open road i don't have a problem.

Could it be something as simple as fluid? Doesn't sound like air is in the system from what I've read, but I sure don't know much about this.

As a side note, when the clutch sticks down some, I literally just stick my foot under it and apply a little upward pressure, and it just "pops" right back up. Is that weird? Could it just be the clutch spring?

Last edited by res0n0xg; 06-14-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

Have you checked to see if you have any fluid in the res.?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

VERY surprised not one person mentioned the drill mod.

Is it sticking all the way down or just partially? If all the way, check your reservoir level. If it is down really low, you probably have a leak somewhere.

If by the above description, you have a leak. Get the car up in the air and check near the bellhousing. There is a small rectangular "slot" cut into it. Is there fluid there?

Yes--Bad Slave cylinder (tranny needs to be pulled)
No-- Remove the connection from where the master goes into the side of the trans. Use 2 flatheads to put pressure evenly on the plastic ring. This will release the line from the trans.

Now gently press in your clutch pedal. Does it feel hard or go down? It is hard... replace slave cylinder. Goes down still.. most likely a bad master.

I'm a little tipsy right now after working on my P.O.S. trans tonight... but if you need further details.. I am willing to shoot pictures of the slave/master pull when I do mine on Monday.

Quick Reply: Clutch stuck down!