Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Centerforce DFX

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Centerforce DFX

Anyone have any experience with the new DFX Centerforce clutch on he ls1's? What do yo think?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about the DFX when it was time to get rid of the SPEC 3 that failed to hold track passes but after talking with one of the engineers at Centerforce opted for the new 12in DF instead. As he stated. These are heavy cars and the more contact area the better the clutch may perform. He went over the test Corvette results that he has recieved across his desk and how the car performed against the DFX and the regular DF and that the results were a great improvement. Pedal feel was near stock.

I ordered one from Summit and installed it in the fall of last year. Now that spring/summer has arrived I've been able to "Drive" the car. This clutch seems far beyond the SPEC 3. Pedal feel is great, it grabs like a bear and it doesn't have the slight slip on the drag radials that I used to get with the SPEC grabbing gears going full tilt down the backstreet by my house. Test track, lol.

I havn't had it to the track yet due to wife having me busy but I feel it will out perform that old SPEC.

Great unit for the price IMO.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

sounds great, i actaully did get the DFX..only came in 11" i just haven't got it out of the box yet. I can't wait to put it in!! Gonna be alot of PITA work though, in the driveway by myself, i can see me throwing things, lol. My stock clutch does nothing but slip with the H/C/I setup, and i can never show off the car without smoking the clutch. I'll let everyone know how the clutch works out!!!

Last edited by scidav87; 06-14-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

There have been problems on the 11" clutches, you may want to return it and get the CF DF 12"
Old 06-15-2008, 10:54 AM
9 Second Club

I have heard that, but i've never heard anything about the DFX's they are new from what i hear, its a puck style clutch.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

The clutch may work out. The concern with the engineer(Mike) that I spoke with was with the weight of the car and launching it on 11.5 Hoosiers. He felt the DFX may do the job but insisted on the 12in DF. I originally called about the DFX and was unaware of the 12in DF until he mentioned it and changed my mind. With the setup you are running and having a stick you may overheat the DFX. Mikes idea of using the 12in for more contact area and disapating(sp) the heat better just seemed to make more sense. The 12in also came in a few dollars cheaper than the DFX. The DFX will outshine the stock clutch by far so that is a positive. Let us know how it works for you. Clutch input is always great here as I'm sure you know.

Make sure you update the slave to the 01 -02 GM part while you're in there. Save some trouble down the road. You can always update the master later.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

LS1C5Vette,

How is your 12in DF performing? How do you feel about it?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:14 AM
9 Second Club

I went into Oreillys and NAPA auto today and asked for the 2002 camaro slave cyl, both places said they didn't list it in there computer, but they had the one for the 2000 camaro instock. You think thats the same part for the 01-02? Hopefully ALL of them use the updated style now?....What the best way to get the pilot bushing out? Mine came out in pieces when i pulled the tranny!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Violatorno1
LS1C5Vette,

How is your 12in DF performing? How do you feel about it?
4k plus miles of hard driving and shifting at 6500 rpms with no problems
Old 06-17-2008, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"What the best way to get the pilot bushing out?"

A blind pulley puller rented from autozone.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Hi Guys I just wanted to clear a few things up…we do offer two different Dual Friction assemblies (11” & 12”) one DFX and one Light Metal here is the break down.

1) DF017010 is our 11” Dual Friction that can be used with most after market flywheels as well as the stock flywheel. We recommend this clutch up to 550 torque.
2) DF395010 is our 12” Dual Friction that may not work with some of the after market Aluminum flywheels because some of the after market Aluminum flywheels use an 11” heat shield/friction plate. The 12” Dual Friction is a great daily driver that will hold some serious torque while maintaining excellent control. This is my personal favorite for these cars that running in the range of 400-750 torque levels.
3) 01017010 is our DFX assembly that is a six puc sprung hub disc. This DFX will not be as user friendly as our Dual Friction but will hold some serious torque numbers. We had a local guy dyno 979 lbs. torque at the wheels with his Vette that is road raced and street driven.
4) LM017010 is our Light Metal assembly that is an Aluminum Pressure Plate that is @ 6 lbs lighter than a stock pressure plate. The LMC was designed for the road race arena or the guy looking to reduce rotational mass. The Light Metal clutch works well in cars that are at the 650 and below torque range. The Light Metal pressure plate coupled with the DFX disc works great for the cars making 500 lbs. of torque and up. We have had a few guys hold in the 1000 torque range but wouldn’t rate the clutch to hold that consistently.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion with the product?

Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches
www.centerforce.com
Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

FWIW- I now have ~20,000+ miles on my DF 12" Centerforce Clutch/Flywheel. It has made several passes at the track on Mickey Thompson drag radials. It has outlasted 2 rearends. This is my only car so it sees stop and go traffic every day, WOT every day, and I slip the **** out of it at the track when i launch to save my rearend. Never had one problem with it. I will definately be buying a Centerforce when this one finally gives out.

Thanks Will!!

Brent
Old 06-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

For you guys running the 12" DF395010 - what flywheel are you running?

The Centerforce tech line tells me I MUST run a Centerforce flywheel and only that one will work. Also if I decide to change to another clutch down the road they say the centerforce flywheel will not work with any other clutch. It almost sounds like a load of BS to try to scare me into staying with a CF.

I see the post above says it may not work with an aftermarket flywheel, but it does not specify stock for that specific model.

Will the LS2 Corvette flywheel work with this setup ? (I'm running a 6.0 GTO FWIW)
Old 06-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

We suggest our flywheel when you an Aluminum flywheel, we know ours has the REQUIRED 12” heat shield / friction plate. Most aftermarket Aluminum flywheels have an 11” heat shied / Friction plate, when using a 12” disc a ½” of the disc would be against the Aluminum which would destroy the flywheel. If you can find another Aluminum aftermarket flywheel that has the REQUIRED 12” heat shield then by all means go for it. Our 12” (DF395010”) can be used with any aftermarket steel or even the factory flywheel as long as you resurface and have it checked for “0” balance. We have seen customers that have tried this only to destroy the disc and flywheel and with the cost of the Aluminum flywheels we just want to make sure it’s correct the first time around. I hope this helps?

Have a safe weekend,

Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches
Old 06-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Will Baty
We suggest our flywheel when you an Aluminum flywheel, we know ours has the REQUIRED 12” heat shield / friction plate. Most aftermarket Aluminum flywheels have an 11” heat shied / Friction plate, when using a 12” disc a ½” of the disc would be against the Aluminum which would destroy the flywheel. If you can find another Aluminum aftermarket flywheel that has the REQUIRED 12” heat shield then by all means go for it. Our 12” (DF395010”) can be used with any aftermarket steel or even the factory flywheel as long as you resurface and have it checked for “0” balance. We have seen customers that have tried this only to destroy the disc and flywheel and with the cost of the Aluminum flywheels we just want to make sure it’s correct the first time around. I hope this helps?

Have a safe weekend,

Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches

Thanks Will.

I'm not running an aluminum flywheel, I'm running a steel flywheel.

I found found through user experiences that the 12" DF will work with a LS1/LS6 stock flywheel just fine, but I have not read anything on the LS2 C6 flywheel. I did find that the LS2 flywheel is stepped (as opposed to the LS6) which from what I understand would make things a little different on the clamping force and whatnot.

I just wanted to confirm that this 12" DF will work on a LS2 C6 Corvette OEM Steel flywheel. Is that correct ?

Last edited by White40thGT; 06-20-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Bump for Monday.

Will, your input on the OEM LS2 C6 Corvette Steel flywheel ?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Whoops…I was on here yesterday and missed this reply sorry.
The LS2 flywheel is different, you can use an aftermarket steel LS1 flywheel with our DF395010 or a factory LS1 flywheel as long as it is resurfaced & “0” balanced.

Take Care,

Will Baty
Centerforce Clutches
Old 06-24-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

If the 12" works with stock flywheel. I guess I'll try it out, rather than the ls7. Anyone know how heavy stock flywheel with DF395010 clutch is?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:03 AM
9 Second Club

i know that stock ls1 flywheel is right about 24-25 pounds. I have the DFX clutch INSTALLED it does work great from what i can tell thus far. Has 250 miles on the setup (DFX clutch kit and 15.5 lbs chromoly flywheel) Has no chatter whatsoever so far and pedal feel is just a hair firmer than stock..actaully light up top and firms up right before it desingages, perfect. It does grap really quick and doesn't like to be slipped alot in 1st gear even then its not too bad, but after you get going you can shift as smooth as you want. I hope it doesn't ever slip and lasts awhile!!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My Mustang buddies swear by the dfx clutches.

Quick Reply: Centerforce DFX