Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New McLeod master cylinders... a review

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:39 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New McLeod master cylinders... a review

Hey all,

I bought one of the new builds of the McLeod master cylinder. (For those of you who didn't know, they stopped using the manufacturer they used previously because build quality was so poor. Now they have gone with a new manufacturer and built a small test batch. I have one of those.) I have a McLeod RXT street twin and was not able to get the clutch to properly disengage with the Ram master.

There isn't a whole lot to tell other than the fact that the master works like a champ. I got an excellent bleed and had no problems with it so far. It doesn't bleed down or give you inconsistant pedal pressure like so many of the old ones did.

I love the increased bore size not only because it gives me a reliable disengagement of the clutch, but also because it gives you a more firm pedal pressure. By increasing the bore size, you effectively lose some leverage through the hydraulic system, so the pedal is tougher to press, and the slave moves faster and farther as you press the pedal down.

I actually thought that the McLeod RXT street twin was TOO easy to slip. It was the opposite of the aggressive on/off clutches. You could move the pedal too far before it clamped down (which it did eventually do). Between the extremely light pedal pressure, inability to fully disengage the clutch, and the fact that the engagement area was such a large portion of the pedal swing, I had been very unhappy with this clutch. With the addition of the McLeod master, all these complaints are now void.

Way to go, McLeod. Build more!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Glad to hear that your happy.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:59 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review man. It's about they fixed this issue.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Imagine how many more they would have sold had they got it right 7 years ago! Good writeup; time will be the test.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

so does the unit look any different from the previous design? I don't have a problem with my stock master and McLeod street twin, but the pedal engages kinda high and would like to fix that..
Old 07-20-2008, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

They look exactly the same. The difference is in the guts. The CNC internals were a inferior design, compared to the OE GM design or even wilwoods design. The new units are going back to the OE GM style piston and seals.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:01 PM
11Second Club

Externally it looks the same with one additional notch added to the bottom for some reason.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Restricted User

I purchased one of these as well a few weeks ago and finally had a chance to install it this past weekend. Let me start by saying, set the pedal height at stock. I installed mine with the pedal a little higher (same as I had my RAM adjusted) and you could actually feel the point of the fingers going too far and over extending. I adjusted it back to stock height and it felt much better. You could just tell something wasn't right before. With the amount of fluid this thing moves, the pedal seems to travel a lot less and is pretty firm. I was used to my RAM which had a long pedal stroke and long travel for the clutch to engage and disengage. With the new McLeod, it feels like there is a lot less travel from the point of first engagement to fully engaged. Over all even though it is pricey it does work very well with constant pedal pressure unlike the problem the old units had.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK Mcleod send me one of the Vette ones to test damnit!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

If all that has changed is internals, maybe they will sell a kit to upgrade the old masters??
Old 07-22-2008, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blu1
OK Mcleod send me one of the Vette ones to test damnit!
To be honest with you, you don't need a larger bore M/C just bolt the stocker back in and use a Mcleod Hyd Bearing PN-1374. If everything was considered even with the master cylinder and you compared a OE GM Bearing VS Mcleod Bearing using the same fluid volume traveling to the bearing the Mcleod strokes around .100" further. Not to mention you can adjust the length of the piston inside the bearing. You can't do this with a OE bearing, it is what it is. Plus the Hyd Bearing is about a $100.00 cheaper than the M/C.

Food for thought.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:51 PM
FormerVendor

Well. I must say you have the patience of Job there Tony.

I was just cruising through here and ran into this thread. Congratulations, it's been a while man.

g
Old 07-22-2008, 09:15 PM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Well. I must say you have the patience of Job there Tony.

I was just cruising through here and ran into this thread. Congratulations, it's been a while man.

g
Thanks, Gilbert. It only took 6 months to get my **** back together, and all because of piece of crap parts (like the original McLeod master cylinders and the QuickTime bellhousing).

Oh, and there are a few holes in the walls of my garage that might dispute your claim about my patience.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome. So I guess us suckers who originally bought the POS ones were their R&D guinea pigs???

I f*ckin hate that company
Old 09-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Restricted User

I wanted to give another update. I had it at the track a few weeks ago and running through the gears was not a problem. I did notice the pedal was a little low when I was at the end of the track, but by the time I hit the return road it was back to normal. Might just be a little air. Other than that, it works perfectly!!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Launching!

I haven't had any problems with my original thank god
Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Mcleod has the 2nd generation masters in stock now. I have heard good things about them.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to see this thread.

I've been through 3 of them, 2 were bought ( one from Thunder Racing ) and one was free from McLeod

3rd one resulting in a very scary clutchfire at Gateway with fire extinguishers putting my car out on the track. It burned a long time!

On the plus side, they didn't argue at all, Lee at McLeod immediatly agreed and sent me a completely rebuilt clutch, line and MC. I think I had to get the slave, not sure now. But Had to cover the labor for the 3rd time though.

On the minus side, it is doing the same exact thing again!!!

Barely disengages at bottom of pedal ( hard to get into gear), Barely engages at top of pedal travel. ( Slips on burnouts with slicks )

Certified Performance, David, in St. Louis will be calling Lee on this, hopefully I'll really get a new style MC this time. Or whatever it needs....ENOUGH IS ENUFF!

Will let you guys know how it goes.... I can't pay anymore for this stuff.
Ram
Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

I apologize for the inconvience this has caused you. Fill out an RGA http://www.mcleodind.com/rga_form.asp and send it back to us. We'll stand behind the master if there truely is a defect.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one that i bought, I had a reallyy hard time bleeding mine. I tired manually bleeding, pressure bleeding, then went and bought out a mity vac. Still no help. I called Mcleod for help. They told me to do it a different way. Still nothing. I hated that thing after I put a mity vac suction on it for 24 plus hours it came back. I pumped a few times and it went back to the floor. After a long time of pulling my hair out it was ok. Nothing to write home about. I installed a Tick MC and I was done in a matter of a hour and a half.

Quick Reply: New McLeod master cylinders... a review