Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Basic T56 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Basic T56 Questions

I'm well into my T56 swap at this point. never having worked with a manual trans car, I have some questions.

Is it advisable for me to have the used flywheel that came with my trans resurfaced, or just buy a new one? In either case, do I have to worry about balancing it to match the rest of my reciprocating assembly?

Can anyone suggest a modestly priced clutch assembly for a car that is just a stock driver? Some of these clutch kits are waaay out of my budget price range.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Dave
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

IIRC the LT1 is externally balanced with the flywheel, so you might have to get everything balanced, I would try to find out for sure. Either way, I would recommend getting it resurfaced, especially with a new clutch. Either a ram or spec regular clutch replacement will work fine for stock power.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Ok, how does that work? If you are just swapping a trans, how can you balance the flywheel to the recip assembly buried inside the engine?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well the flywheel can only go on one way, and there is nothing in the A4-M6 conversion write-up (which is pretty detailed) on balancing with a new flywheel, so I guess you'd be fine with any used flywheel. But I would get it resurfaced for sure. Good luck with it all.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the your old flexplate and the new flywheel to a machine shop that does balancing and tell them to make the flywheel match the flexplate. Might as well have them resurface it while they're at it.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Launching!

I'm definitely getting it resurfaced. Just got a quote of $35-50 from the NAPA machine shop near me...sounds like money well spent.

Would like a definitive answer on the balancing, though. How many who have done the swap have worried about balancing, and how many have not? From moving them the other day, I'd say the flywheel is a lot heavier than the flexplate, and to make them the same weight a lot of metal would have to be removed from the flywheel.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bull
I'm definitely getting it resurfaced. Just got a quote of $35-50 from the NAPA machine shop near me...sounds like money well spent.

Would like a definitive answer on the balancing, though. How many who have done the swap have worried about balancing, and how many have not? From moving them the other day, I'd say the flywheel is a lot heavier than the flexplate, and to make them the same weight a lot of metal would have to be removed from the flywheel.
I've only done it on a LS1 which is internally balanced. The weight of the flywheel/flexplate is not the issue, its how the weight is distributed on it...to offset the weight of the internals. Internally balanced engines have weights inserted into the crank to offset the weight of the pistons and rods. Externally balanced has weights and/or holes in the flywheel/flexplate to offset this weight. Do what was mentioned above, take the flexplate and the flywheel to a machine shop.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Launching!

ooohh, that's how it works. That makes more sense!

I'm still hoping some LT1 swappers will chime in here, just out of curiosity.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

ooohh, that's how it works. That makes more sense!

I'm still hoping some LT1 swappers will chime in here, just out of curiosity.
We just did this swap on a 3rd gen firebird this winter (1pc rear seal, same as LT1)----do as I posted above and you'll be just fine....promise.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

I just had mine balanced, it was off 18 grams. For the LS1 they recommend under 6 grams neutral balance.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

On a stock motor (LT1) you simply install a "stock" flywheel. There will be a alignment pin hole for the flywheel just as the flexplate has. the weight is cast into the flywheel and yes the flywheel is 'heavier" than a flexplate but it is the "balance" that matters.

get the flywheel resurfaced and you are good. "IF" you have a rebuilt motor that is "internally" balanced than you need to get a "neutral" balanced FW or flexplate.

AutoZone sells a clutch kit with LT4 PP and organic disc for about $200 that will work very well on stock applications. If their clutch says "valeo" on PP & disc that is a stock clutch branded for them. If it says 'made in china" and "raybestos" on the disc....walk away. ZOOM, RAM, SPEC all offer a good "stock" clutch as their bottom line models. basically the same as a stock clutch but more $ than a "AutoZone" (or other part store brand)

I might note a clutch PP has a paint dab on it you are supposed to match up with the paint dab on a stock FW. If you can preserve that mark on the used FW before resurface that is a good idea. With that said I did the swap and bought a new factory FW which did not have the paint dab and never had a 'balance" problem.

I also got a "remanufactured" FW at Kragen for $30 with my core.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Launching!

******, that's all very helpful information, thank you.

Do you happen to know the AutoZone part number for that good clutch kit? I just went to their website, entered what car I had, and they said there were no results for clutch kits. Probably just a poorly developed website.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Anyone ever heard of these guys, for an under $200 clutch kit? Appears to be made in USA....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...mZ190241128001
Old 08-02-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone ever heard of these guys, for an under $200 clutch kit? Appears to be made in USA....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...mZ190241128001
Without a close up picture I couldn't tell you for sure but it looks just like the new stock clutch & PP that I put in my car when I did my clutch swap. Mine said "Valeo" on it as mentioned above.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Launching!

According to their website that I found, they rebuild everything right here in the USA. Been around since the 60's. I'm going to try them out. Hard to find American companies actually still doing business from America these days. They have excellent feedback on eBay, too.

Quick Reply: Basic T56 Questions