Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New rebuild Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry New rebuild Problems

I just had the dealer ship put in new blocker ringers and synchros and my trans doesnt want to stay in third gear. When it pops out it makes a grinding noise. Any Ideas what it is? They told me My pro 5.0 is worn and needs replaced but every other gear works fine. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure the stops on the shifter are backed out first.

Popping out results when it's not engaged fully. Usually either the synchro keys are broken or not working, or the shift fork has worn/missing pads or has been bent.

Double check the shifter stops, then take it back to the dealer and have them rebuild if the shifter stops are not in the way.

mike
Old 08-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Launching!

I already tightened the screws, there in far enough where the shifter doesnt even touch them. They said they replaced the Synchro assembly's and all the shift fork pads. Could a worn out shifter head be causing it to not fully engage? I am planning on removing it tonight but really dont want my car to have to go back in. They took 3 and a half weeks with it to rebuild it the first time.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by projectcam
Could a worn out shifter head be causing it to not fully engage?
Anything is possible. If you have the stock shifter, or access to another aftermarket one, it's easy enough to check. If the dealer didn't put in a steel 3/4 fork during the rebuild, I'd keep that on the suspect list.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

It is NOT the shifter. You need a new 3-4 slider or 3rd gear, or maybe both. Dealerships can be really stupid, as we all know...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only grinding in thrid, I doubt it's the shifter, probably should send it back since the dealer should have fixed it, and while it's out bring them a set of bronze fork pads (the stockers are plastic), a steel 3/4 fork, and have them replace the 3/4 slider.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Banned

Transmission builders that work at dealerships are some of the stupidest builders I have ever come across . If the problem is not listed in their repair manual or all data , they have no freakin clue . I cannot tell you how many times I have personally had to go to a dealership and help either diagnose an issue or straight up fix it for them . I am not sure if they are the same with automatics but I would bet they are .

If its got issues in 3rd gear and you are 100% sure the shifter is adjusted correctly , I would say you need to replace the 3-4 shift fork as well as the 3-4 syncro keys . I always replace them even if they are not broken . If the customer cannot afford the billet keys , I still replace the stock keys with new stock keys .
Old 08-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Launching!

Thanks For all the replys guys. I am pretty sure its the shift fork now after reading some on the subject. Looks like I am taking it back to the stealership...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not the shifter.

Hell get a stock one and prove them wrong.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Launching!

I talked to my buddy that took my car in to the dealer for work as was told the fork was changed??? Any other things it could be?? Maybe the pilot bearing?
Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by projectcam
I talked to my buddy that took my car in to the dealer for work as was told the fork was changed??? Any other things it could be?? Maybe the pilot bearing?
Originally Posted by TDP
It is NOT the shifter. You need a new 3-4 slider or 3rd gear, or maybe both. Dealerships can be really stupid, as we all know...

^^^^^
Old 08-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TDP
^^^^^
I missed that post, I am going to take it back to them soon.