Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1st gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st gear?

hey guys im new to the m6 world, i just completed the swap a few weeks ago. i am now noticing that the car doesnt like to go into first while im rolling. say in coming to a stop sign and i press the clutch in and try to grab first before i stop (clutch in the entire time) then i will already be in first when i want to take off. the trans doesnt want to go into 1st when i do this. so i started to wait until i was going slower like under 10. well now i feel the gears kinda grinding (doesnt make a grinding noise i just feel it) and itll clunk in while i roll to a stop. Only when i am fully stopped does it act normal like its ok to go into first. is this normal?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't force it in.. Just get to almost complete stop then put into first or just keep it in second if you're still rolling enough. If you're rolling and NEED it to go into 1st easier, push in clutch, give a little pop of throttle and it should open up a bit for you (you'll feel it open and will go in easier) but when just rolling to stop either keep it in the gear you downshifted to (if you downshifted) or just put it in neutral till you're under 5mph..
Old 09-01-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that the transmission is ALWAYS spinning parts on the inside even with the clutch disengaged.

Think about how fast the internals are going compared to the speed you pushed in the clutch at and think how fast the internals would be spinning trying to push into first, even with syncros, it's far too fast for you to get it in gear smoothly. In other words, it's NOT blocked, it's simply moving too fast for you to push into gear.

I've actually been able to get it into 1st from relatively high speed (we're talking relative to 1st gear), but even before I let go of the clutch, I could HEAR the transmission scream due to having the input spin up to match the speed I just forced 1st into. If I had let off the clutch, I would have found myself in 8krpm territory....
Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

so how do you guys stay with the flow of driving with it not being able to go into first until stopped? i mean the time it takes to stop then put in first seems like forever. i stop at stop signs but the flow is off for me doing it like this. is this just cuz im new with a stick? should or could i just put it in second while rolling to a stop then take off from that? Atleast this is normal and nothing is wrong...except for my driving lol.

also why is it i can put it in any other gear while rolling with the clutch in with no problem?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Coming up to a stop sign, I wait til I'm just about stopped, then put it into first. Plenty of time to get it into first gear as I'm looking both ways at the stop. Just don't force it.

Anticipate the moment just before you stop. With some practice, it will become second nature.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's grinding at all it sounds to me like the synchros are about shot. Same thing happened to me with my swap, couldn't get into first unless I was completely stopped and held the clutch in for 3-4 seconds. Rebuilt the trans, replaced the synchros/blocker rings and it's good as new.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hardly ever go in 1st at a stop sign, always 2nd. Then again I don't stop 100% and the 3.70s help a little.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st gear is for launching from a dead stop or crawling in a parking lot, rarely do I find myself coasting in first on the road, use 2nd.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

sweet im obviously still learning the m6 world thanks for the info and replys fellas