Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifting a manual without the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking shifting a manual without the clutch

A famous Indy500 driver taught me how to properly drive my 2002 SS LE a few weeks ago. I thought I knew how to drive a car with a clutch since I've had manual cars since 1984. Here is what he taught me:

1. You don't need to use the clutch as you going up through the gears. He siad it doesn't hurt anything. The whole point is that the clutch is engaged and the less you push the clutch pedal in, the better. Try it sometime. I've gotten good at it, although I cringed in the beginning....

2. When you are approaching a stop, just pop the car out of gear without the clutch if you just want to brake to a stop instead of down shifting. He said that it's better to use the car to slow down the car instead of the brakes, but I want to get new brakes so I don't care about the wear.

3. Don't hold the clutch in at a stop. Have it out of gear and when you are ready to go (like at a light), then use the clutch to get into first gear.

Was he right, or is this bad for my transmission/clutch?

Thanks for your advice in advance!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That what I do when I drive a stick. All those he mentioned was right on.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:51 AM
CARTEK Racing

Well according to the theory of every race car driver I ever read, they say to use the brakes to slow the car down, not the engine. Unless you're in a Formula 1 car, then they have a specific tuneing table for engine braking. I always slow to a stop in neutral.

I never hold the clutch at a stop light/sigh, Im always in neutral.

As far as the upshifting w/o a clutch... I dont know about that.

Yes, you can do it with a faceplated or strait cut transmission and a sliper clutch, but I have never heard of doing it with a standard synchronized unit and a regular clutch.

I even asked Six Speeds inc about it, and was told that if I upshift a faceplated transmission with a standard action clutch, I will rip the friction plate in half.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i shift my 6 speed without the clutch daily. i also di it in my 5-speed c1500 daily. its just natural to me. iv been doing it for 2 years divided between 2 cars. never had a problem. u just need to be comfortable driving stick. you CAN mess something up if you completely screw it up. you can downshift without the clutch too. just rev the engine high and push it into gear.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is another one of those "just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD" deals. You can sure shift without the clutch, but it's hell on your synchros.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you can but ther is extra load on your synchronizer friction materials. They will only take so much of this before they wear out . That wear out will be way earlier than if you use the clutch.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by calhoon
Yes you can but ther is extra load on your synchronizer friction materials. They will only take so much of this before they wear out . That wear out will be way earlier than if you use the clutch.
Maybe thats why Im going 10.3's on a stock t-56's with 68K miles... I use the clutch!

Thats the secret! LOL

Like others have said, I just don't think its a good idea. The clutch was put there by enginners for a reason.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Maybe thats why Im going 10.3's on a stock t-56's with 68K miles... I use the clutch!

Thats the secret! LOL

Like others have said, I just don't think its a good idea. The clutch was put there by enginners for a reason.

exactly......
Old 10-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ibanez7
exactly......
but the explaination I got was that using it less saves the "throwout bearing"?

The sycros is what allows you to do this, that they are made for that. Why would it wear them out?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With older manual clutch designs, you'd technically be "saving" the throwout bearing by not using the clutch......but your process of "saving" that $30 part is tearing up synchros that will cost hundreds of dollars to repair/rebuild......not very cost effective.
Newer hydraulic throwout bearings are always touching the pressure plate fingers, even with your foot off the clutch. Not using the clutch will not extend the life of the bearing in any way.

Synchros are designed to allow smoother/faster shifts without rev matching. The synchros were NOT made to allow clutchless shifting, doing so WILL cause premature wear/failure.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From actual experience, shifting without the clutch killed my synchros.

My slave cyl blew out on the way to work one day, and I had to drive it the rest of the way to work shifting without the clutch. I already know how to do this from driving big rigs. I got to work fine with out grinding any gears. But when I put in the new slave, I went for a test drive and the first time I tried to shift fast to 3rd, its started grinding. 4th quickly followed and I had to get it rebuilt.

2&3 on your list are fine though
Old 10-07-2008, 02:42 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
With older manual clutch designs, you'd technically be "saving" the throwout bearing by not using the clutch......but your process of "saving" that $30 part is tearing up synchros that will cost hundreds of dollars to repair/rebuild......not very cost effective.
Newer hydraulic throwout bearings are always touching the pressure plate fingers, even with your foot off the clutch. Not using the clutch will not extend the life of the bearing in any way.

Synchros are designed to allow smoother/faster shifts without rev matching. The synchros were NOT made to allow clutchless shifting, doing so WILL cause premature wear/failure.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a faceplated trans and i use the clutch ...... when i bought mine from sixspeeds inc amber said to use the clutch ! just use it .. your doing more damage by not using it
Old 10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather wreck the TO bearing than have to rebuild my T-56 syncros will get chewed up eventually without the clutch..
Old 10-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stimpster
He said that it's better to use the car to slow down the car instead of the brakes
I've heard this so many times before and I just think to myself that it is total BS. Why would it be better? Is it easier, faster, cheaper to replace the clutch and parts over some 2 hour brake pad replacement? Hell, I've got over 100k miles on my stock ceramic pads and they are still good.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Is your buddy going to pay for the damages you do to your T56 from not using a clutch ? If you really know how to drive a stick car , using the clutch is not an issue .
Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ndfrsd6
when i bought mine from sixspeeds inc amber said to use the clutch ! just use it .. your doing more damage by not using it
I don't understand, how does it chew up the syncros? That is what syncros do, right? It's not grinding or knashing when you shift.

Quick Reply: shifting a manual without the clutch