Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 help

In the process of taking the extension housing off, and that rear offset lever roll pin is a bear.

No tiny screw driver will lock into it, its inbtw my sizes for my drill bits, and no allen wrench will lock into it.

Its flush so I cant get ahold of the top portion of it.

Any ideas?

thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You punch it through, don't try to pull it out.. A standard punch will fit perfectly.

(just remember if/when you do the shifter detent, that you put the rollpin back into the top before reassembly, there's no way to get it out if left in the bottom)
Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned

With a punch and hammer , its takes all of about two hits to drive it through the selector arm .
Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, that worked
Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Alright new n00b question...

Those snap clips. Just bought a channel lock snap ring plier from Lowes, and well it keeps slipping off the damn rings.

Am I just insanely unlucky, or is there another better set out there that will actually work?

Ive tried changing tips and actually succeeded in bending one set of the black tapered set.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The small snap rings? or the large lock rings on the mainshaft? Look up lock ring pliers on craftsman.com, or your favorite tool site.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

yea go figure. when I went to get a real t40 torx bit, the craftsman one with the 3/8" drive built into it... to remove those two guide plate torx bolts... I saw those lock rng pliers and bought them.

Wow.. are they nice

Now if only the Dasco actually had the right size punch bits haha the 5/32 is really 11/64 and the 1/8 is really 7/64 according to my drill hole measurer. The small ones slife into the last roll pin and the other ones ae too large they all hit the shaft.

Bud is coming over in the morning with him craftsman versions of the punch pins.

All in all not the worst thing Ive ever done I now just have to try and figure out which gears are which and try and fogure out which synchros are bad.

The gears themsevles look fine to me. The ends of each tooth on them are all bevelled looking. Sharp bevels, they dont look rounded or chipped.

The forks, how on earth could anyone honestly bend one of these forks... they look strong as hell. The synchros now that whole contraption looks like a nightmare. the keys rings etc.. wow ... just wow.

The pads... im assuming when I put on upgraded pads they replace the lil black ones on he end of the stock forks?

Ill just be amazed if I get this whole thing put back together.

Thanks for the help so far.

This is by far the most in depth Ive gone into the car.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned

When it comes to snap ring pliers , Snap On is by far the best out there .

Quick Reply: T-56 help