Notices
Marketplace GM Performance Parts and Cars For Sale Classifieds. Browse new listings, post your items for sale, or list a wanted ad.

Trying to restart after HUGE fire took everything and getting screwed by insurance..

07-19-2020, 12:04 PM | Replies: 17 | Views: 2218
  •  - Trying to restart after HUGE fire took everything and getting screwed by insurance.. - Paradise, CA 95954, United States
  •  - Trying to restart after HUGE fire took everything and getting screwed by insurance.. - Paradise, CA 95954, United States
Teching In

• Price
    $0
  • Location Paradise, CA, 95954, USA
Description:

Hey guys hows it going?

I live in Northern California which now the whole state seems to be massive fire waiting to happen. Well, It happened to us and the worst part is it was all due to PGE (power company) and them being lazy ( they had a work order out on this single hook that held the lines and was literally 100 years old. the cable had worn the hook so thin it was ready to snap and when placing the work order they have up to 2 years to handle the order! ) their equipment failed and the high voltage lines began to spark in a remote canyon off camp creek so they named the fire the Camp Fire not because it was started by a camp fire like most people think. It became the worst fire in history wiping the whole area out and causing 14.5 billion dollars in damage we lost 15 homes in our family alone.

fire was 50 miles away and they told us we have no worries go about our day. 2 hours later the entire town was surrounded and being engulfed. the fire moved at over a football field a second. we had 80 MPH winds that day and the fire was throwing softball size fireballs miles ahead starting tons of spotfires. Fire department ended up abandoning their post without issuing an evacuation notice. the 911 calls went from dont worry we know about it to YOU ARE SURROUNDED by a huge fire and no one can save you get out now try your best and good luck. Planes couldnt drop that day due to the wind so the fire literally had nothing stopping it. When we were allowed back to the house almost two weeks later other then some ashes you would have no idea there was anything there it took literally everything. My aluminum block literally melted and was running out where the garage would have been.

I have been able to do some work up here helping with the burned trees and taking care of peoples lot who moved away but still have to keep their lots fire safe or get fines. thats basically all there is to do up here as all the business are gone and the only thing that has really opened is food trucks so work isnt exactly around and getting screwed by the insurance like the majority of the people we have to have an attorney and fight for our insurance money because they are only trying to give people 10-20 percent. Some companies even went bankrupt because they cant afford all the claims at once. Its insane.

I was able to get a 2003 Mustang on a great deal when an older man had found out what happened he allowed me to come stay and work for pay and the mustang. I need to replace the engine so im obviously wanting to go the LS route. I basically need everything for the swap so im hoping i can come across some great deals on here or maybe some of you guys would like to help out a fire victim/survivor and have some nice parts from older engines or maybe have some extras for a rainy day collecting dust and would rather see them put to use. I plan on starting a youtube channel documenting the whole process from ashes to 24lbs of boost i will also like to credit everyone who does decided to find in their heart to help me out both on the channel and i want to come up with something for the car as well. If you guys have anything you would want to part with or have a good deal please message me .

Thanks for taking the time to read this and have a blessed week, thanks LS1tech!

Last edited by LStang01; 07-23-2020 at 09:19 PM. Reply
Old 07-19-2020, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have a good deal on 6.0? even just a bare block will do
Old 07-20-2020, 10:50 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Damn crazy story, wish you luck on the recovery!

I have a good bit of leftover and cheap turbo parts like wastegate, bov, etc.

Are you going to make your own hotside?
Old 07-21-2020, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply buddy i honestly appreciate it. i wish i knew how to post pictures up i would show you guys what we walked up two after two weeks of the fire buring and nearly a month after the fire they were able to finally open a couple of zones, they had said some hosues survivied when they had one of those emergency news casts. It was pretty crazy. i literally had all elderly people lined up in a court. i had no back seat on my CBR when i bought it came with the rear cowl so there is only one seat. i ran to my shop and grabbed a couple tow straps a couple blankets and some little 1 foot scrap 2x4's and made a ghetto *** little seat and then had another one to wrap around us like a seatbelt since the majority of these people have no strength so they wouldnt be able to hold on espcially when i had to gun in or weaving in out of the cars on fire. luckily everyone in the area knows me becuase a lot of these people dont have anyone to care about them. Its a couple little towns in the middle of the moutains ( we have bears and moutain lions fight for the trash so that lets you know how high we are up haha) and we have a huge CDF station which is our state fire and i always bullshit with the guys and use to go up there and just help out and absorb what i could and boy did it pay off. When you emerged from the smoke about 12 miles or so from my house maybe closer to 20 but dont wanna over guestimate to make it sound better, all the rescue people were there waiting for people as they made it out becuase there were some people literally coming out on fire. They kept trying to stop me from going back and i told them i couldnt not go i had people waiting on me to come back and i promised them i would not let them burn and went back in. I had orignally been on my way to my cousins house in my 2001 mustang with 4.8 but had to abandon it in traffic becuase we were deadlocked and cars were on fire and **** so i got out and ran back to the house about 2 miles and grabbed my bike and knew i had to get them out so i did. the last trip i went back to see if there was anyway to salvage anything and got almost to the house before i could tell everything was on fire and it was just getting to hot my fairings were literally starting to get soft and melt i just kept soaking my carhart jacket and the thick double ply pants they have and as long as we didnt have to stop or get off it was good till the end lol. i could barely see and on the way out a power pole had snapped off and was on fire in the road around a blind turn i hit going about 20 luckily i was able to brake some, got air ate **** of course. i get up and trying to get my bike up stressing bad cuz now im in fucked situation. it was too smokey to get the bike started and i knew if it shut off i wouldnt be able to start it as it was already boggin out bad on me . suddenly i hear this unmistakeable sound. The sound of metal tracks on the pavement. One of the older guys at the station was a private contractor for them as most of the Bulldozer operators are. He had heard about a guy on motorcycle who kept pulling people out and wouldnt listen to anyone and he said he knew it was me and they pretty much had my timing down on my trips and when i didnt come back they got on the radio asking if anyone had seen me in case i came out a different way and no one had. He hopped in the dozer and headed up to look for me and started clearing the burning cars out of the road. Had he not risked his life i wouldnt have made it out alive. Loaded me up and we headed out to safety. Have to say i was never happier to see the sunlight again. It was around noon by the time i got out but in the zone everything was blacked out you would have thought it was midnight.
The following 2 users liked this post by LStang01:
Che70velle (07-22-2020), DualQuadDave (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 12:15 AM
Teching In

But yes i plan on it. I had just purchased an ACDC 225 amp Pulse Tig machine before the fire and the company PrimeWeld reached out to me and no questions sent me out a brand new unit so i am able to fab up whatever i need. I can borrow my buddies bender ( at least thats what he said we will see haha if not JD2 said they would help me out with half off my replacement!) and again thanks for reaching out to me brotha i really appreacite it. like i said i plan to start a channel and want to find a way to honor all the people that have found it in their hearts to help me out
The following users liked this post:
DualQuadDave (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 376 Likes on 242 Posts

Hey man, I have a bunch of small stuff LS engine parts. If I can help you, will do whatever I can. Will be free/cheap. DM me and will see what you need. Good luck and God Bless!
Old 07-21-2020, 03:44 AM
Teching In

you guys are awesome i sent a DM. I knew this was great community but getting to experience it first hand is beyond ******* amazing. Im speechless that some people are willing to help. Been super depressed lately and you guys have put a smile on my face for the first time in nearly almost 2 years. You guys are seriously amazing i wasnt expecting any replies i wont lie haha
Old 07-21-2020, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Get the hell out of California! This is more proof off the mismanagement of money and resources. Lives were lost due to their incompetence. Idk why anyone would live there at this point
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 10:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by LStang01
But yes i plan on it. I had just purchased an ACDC 225 amp Pulse Tig machine before the fire and the company PrimeWeld reached out to me and no questions sent me out a brand new unit so i am able to fab up whatever i need. I can borrow my buddies bender ( at least thats what he said we will see haha if not JD2 said they would help me out with half off my replacement!) and again thanks for reaching out to me brotha i really appreacite it. like i said i plan to start a channel and want to find a way to honor all the people that have found it in their hearts to help me out
No worries, I have a passenger forward facing manifold with 2.5" vband that will clear a mustang. Have drivers side manifold as well but that may take a little modifying depending on your setup. Then you just need to make a merge pipe to wherever you want to place the turbo. I also have a cheap air to water core, but not sure what you plan on doing for an intercooler.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:10 AM
Teching In

haha yes believe me i would love too. i would love to move somewhere around middle america where all the races and stuff take place. Got a spot for me? haha
Old 07-22-2020, 07:25 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,572 Likes on 2,197 Posts

First off, your a hero. I’m sure there are many folks in that area that feel the same way. You saved them because you cared, and that’s what matters. Having said that, let’s try to get this organized. Begin with a detailed list of what you are actually going to need. As folks step up to contribute, mark it off and put a name beside it. Keep it all organized here, or it will get messy and things will get missed, or worse sent to you twice. Plenty of guys here to help you out, but put up a detailed list first.
What is your full name?

Last edited by Che70velle; 07-22-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:51 PM
Teching In

figured out how to get picture up

Originally Posted by Che70velle
First off, your a hero. I’m sure there are many folks in that area that feel the same way. You saved them because you cared, and that’s what matters. Having said that, let’s try to get this organized. Begin with a detailed list of what you are actually going to need. As folks step up to contribute, mark it off and put a name beside it. Keep it all organized here, or it will get messy and things will get missed, or worse sent to you twice. Plenty of guys here to help you out, but put up a detailed list first.
What is your full name?
Well thank you sir. I try not to look at it like that and at the time it was just what seemed right. I didn't try and get any attention for it and in fact they wanted to a story about me to go along with This other high school student who was stuck in traffic and knew they wouldn't be able to reach his grandma so he looked at his dad and said i will be back with your mother and if not dad just know i love the **** outta you. got out and unloaded his dirt bike and went and grabbed her and brought her back and got his bike back in the truck and they were packed in an s10 and made it out haha, i declined the interview i didn't do it for the recognition and there was a lot of people who stepped up while others fled. I guess that's one of those determining factors on your flight or fight response. a lot of people think that means not being scared or whatever but the fear is what you need to set it off and give you the extra abilities and its what you do with that extra that determines it. One of the most humbling things i came across was i believe the documentary PBS did on that day ( there has been a few and there is a big one that National Geographic did that's coming to theaters i believe this august.
They had a story about bus that was going to a field trip that morning when they became overwhelmed and stuck in traffic while completely surrounded. The part that got me was when she began to describe after they realized that no was coming to help and they were on their own. The bus driver took off his white t shirt and began to rip strips for the kids they were no older then 3rd graders. the smoke started to thicken and they used the last half bottle of water to soak the shirt pieces to try and help with the smoke the kids started coughing and complaining and she called them all together to talk to them and to pray with them as they began to think they wouldn't make it out alive. she said the hardest thing to do was in her head as they were praying aloud she said her silent prayer and she had asked that would be fortunate enough to die from the smoke inhalation first that these poor innocent kids didn't deserve to burn alive luckily another bulldozer had heard their distress calls and had already been heading up that route to find them and was able to move the burning cars out of the way. For a complete opposite they had a firefighter that day and he like many of the people we depending on abandoned their duties and instead of doing what they signed up for and get praised for, he decided him returning alive was more important then trying to save the lives of people and ran scared. He was crying talking about how he regretted his decision to flee when he should have been helping. That was a huge issue and the LA times blasted the Emergency personnel because they literally abandoned their post and ran without issuing an evacuation notice so if neighbors didn't pound on peoples doors and drag people out they stayed until it was too late because they were so stubborn they weren't leaving until they had a government official tell them they needed to leave. In that same show a lady was arguing with her mom as she was packing their stuff and her mom refused to leave until the fire dept said it was time to go she wasn't leaving her house. The daughter tried and tried and she budge and she told her mom this is the hardest decision i am having to make but i cannot sit around and put my life in danger i am leaving and you need to come with me if you stay we may not see you again, she said she would wait for the fire dept. They identified her remains where her chair was in the living room like she musta decided to take a nap. i guess i cant blame a person for caring about their own life but there was no way i coulda made it out and know that people i knew were stuck and going to burn alive so i was going to help as many people as i could until i couldn't anymore and i can say i would have regretted and hated myself had i sat back and not helped people like that fire fighter who is haunted by it daily.

so far after getting paid for side job this weekend i have access to:
►4.8L with 4l60 around 100k i believe he said? [older gentleman who needs his lot cleaned up and the back got burned of the Tahoe but engine and transmission are fine just needs an alternator)
►241 heads (better option then the stock 4.8 castings?)
► a forward facing manifold, V band, BOV
►Intercooler core

the swap vehicle is a 2002 GT had under 100k. 2v 4.6 and the TR-3650. I know the 4l60 is terrible for us i was really hoping it was 4l80e but sadly only the 60. I have seen that Hanlon Motorsports makes an adapter for a few hundred bucks that should with a new bell housing allow the transmission to bolt up to LS based engine so if i am not able to find 4l80e, turbo4, or powerglide i will probably stick with manual to get her going and look around for a deal on one. I would love to turn her into 383ci and slap some smaller twins to start as its going to be a daily still when needed.

my full name haha? that mean the middle too

Derek Tapia

Last edited by LStang01; 07-23-2020 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added remains
Old 07-23-2020, 09:01 PM
Teching In

It was weird how it left random houses. it would wipe a whole street out but one house wouldnt be touched. If you look in the background of the second picture with the wheel barrow you can see the neighbors house. They only got smoke damage because their windows were open the entire time we were evcauated. How it didnt take theirs i have no idea but 12 houses on all sides are gone...
Old 07-27-2020, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
byM Plenty of guys here to help you out, but put up a detailed list first.
What is your full name?
Did you just want to know my name haha? Was just wondering 😂 😎 if you were just wondering haha
Old 08-08-2020, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LStang01
Anyone have a good deal on 6.0? even just a bare block will do

i have a 6.0 short block, willing to sell as together or just the block itself but you’d have to figure out shipping as I’m in Maine
Old 08-08-2020, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1988montecarloss
i have a 6.0 short block, willing to sell as together or just the block itself but you’d have to figure out shipping as I’m in Maine

sweet thanks for the reply buddy. What are you looking to get for it? i know there is a fastenal about an hour from here
Old 08-21-2020, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been able to do some work up here helping with the burned trees and taking care of peoples lot who moved away but still have to keep their lots fire safe or get fines. thats basically all there is to do up here as all the business are gone and the only thing that has really opened is food trucks so work isnt exactly around and getting screwed by the insurance like the majority of the people we have to have an attorney and fight for our insurance money because they are only trying to give people 10-20 percent. Some companies even went bankrupt because they cant afford all the claims at once. Its insane.
Yeah, I understand you. Some insurance companies just don't wanna fulfill the duties, which they should.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PMD you my guy!!