Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Front tints now legal in Illinois?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hugger1975
Since we are on tints. Does anyone have their tail lights tinted and get any flack from the local.

I'll take "Really stupid ideas" for $500 please, Alex...

Might as well get a "hit me" bumper sticker too...

I never could believe somebody could be stoopid enough to cover their BRAKELIGHTS???!!!???
Old 06-14-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ibanez7
and it sucks.... I live in IL, never had a tint ticket for two years on my trailblazer, then one IA cop pulls me over and gives me a tint ticket when i was on a roadtrip to vegas. The dude was a dick about it too.
Try just getting your lisense and having a silver Z28 with TT2's that the local cops have not seen before. When I first got my lisense they followed me everywhere!!!! Now they all know who I am and just wave.....
Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickate

I never could believe somebody could be stoopid enough to cover their BRAKELIGHTS???!!!???
A lot of people tint their tail lights. If you haven't noticed.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Teching In

yeah i never have my front plate on... i just keep it on me. i think the cops just worry about people using the same plates on more than one vehicle... just keep it on you and tell them you dont have the bracket yet
Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 AM
Staging Lane

My front plate is held nder my front seat with velcro. No issues yet but have it if I need it.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nickate

I will take "thanks for your opinion" for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by halucinator
A lot of people tint their tail lights. If you haven't noticed.
He is busy rear-ending them since he must think tint means totally (as in not see thru) blacked out.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by litemup02
50%... Thats not even worth the money. Guess its better than nothing though. What.. if it passes are cops going to carry some kind of gauge that they can compare your tint too? I vote scrap the 50% bullshit and get rid of the front plate law
I won't even waste my time giving a ticket for 50% tint....not by itself anyway.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

This is the part that I don't understand? So is it saying that if the rear windows have tint on them, then the front windows cannot have a tint that allows 35% light transmittance?

So we can have 35% if the rears have tint?

"Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code to provide that a person may drive a motor vehicle with a nonreflective material tinted film that does not allow less than 50% light transmittance (or less than 35% light transmittance if the windows to the rear of the driver already have certain window treatment applied) upon the side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver."
Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Teching In

To my knowledge....the rule as of today is still "No front D/P tints."

I like tints too, but I am glad there is a limit to how dark it can be. Tho it's great for many law-abiding citizens to have, there are a few "bad apples" that would try to use that to their advantage. I have pulled over many people for window tints and truthfully...if they are calm and cool and I feel they pose no threat (maybe if the ride is pimp)...I let them go. Why stick it to a hard-working, law-abiding tax-payer...right!?

If they are ********, then I write them a "compliance ticket" (they used to be $25.00 a pop, but are now $250.00). Enough comp tix will make anyone remove tint at that price. If they are really ******** about it, then I send them to court to make them prove the removal (tho not always full-proof.)

But then, there are those who like to conceal themselves doing god knows what illicit activities (guns, weed, alcohol, etc.) and in those times that's when it becomes a safety issue for police and the public. God knows that I don't want to be next to a vehicle and not see whats coming...especially on a traffic stop.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Teching In

I'm going to mail a letter to the governor about this amendment, hopefully it will give him some extra persuasion to sign the bill.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by integraxtc
This is the part that I don't understand? So is it saying that if the rear windows have tint on them, then the front windows cannot have a tint that allows 35% light transmittance?

So we can have 35% if the rears have tint?

"Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code to provide that a person may drive a motor vehicle with a nonreflective material tinted film that does not allow less than 50% light transmittance (or less than 35% light transmittance if the windows to the rear of the driver already have certain window treatment applied) upon the side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver."
Well....since you are on the northside and I roam the northside, then you personally don't have to worry about me giving you the tix (unless you decide to act like an *** ) Rear-tint are not as big a concern as the front (don't know why.) I would simply say over the speaker "drop your rear windows". 35% may be the limit on the rears and back, but you can, in almost all instances, get away with 5% (especially in Chicago). Most cops here don't have the equip to check ur windows anyway.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

I am not near as worried about local police as I am about State Troopers. Most the horror sories I hear about tint and plates involve troopers. Especally in the Collinsville and Springfield areas.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BOONEY7750
I am not near as worried about local police as I am about State Troopers. Most the horror sories I hear about tint and plates involve troopers. Especally in the Collinsville and Springfield areas.
^Ditto^
Old 10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

From what I understand, fronts tints (50% I believe), are now legal.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...Session=&GA=96
Old 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can legal have tints so I'm not to worried about it.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Launching!

35% is legal up front ONLY if the rears are 35% as well...anything darker in the rear makes the fronts illegal....kinda bogus but whatever...

http://www.cartype.com/pages/246/ill...ow_tinting_law

UPDATE: 10-30-9. We just got an update from Andrea at the Illinois Capitol Office. HB 3325 successfully passed the amendatory veto in the House and Senate. This bill becomes law effective immediately.

NOW LEGAL tint combinations.
1. Up to 35% in the Rear/up to 35% front
2. 35-30% in the rear/up to 50% front
3. IF YOU HAVE BELOW 30% TINT IN THE REAR, YOU CAN NOT HAVE FRONT TINT If you have an MPV, which include but are not limited to, SUVs, Station Wagons, minivans, Toasters, etc., and said MPV has factory installed privacy glass (smoked), you are allowed to have up to 50% tint in front.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody have pics of what 50% tint looks like?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
Anybody have pics of what 50% tint looks like?
http://www.dgtint.com/page4.php

Dave (the owner of DGtint) is one of the guys that got this Bill started. Thank him! And he also does GREAT work too!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have 20% all around but also have a doctors document saying that I'm aloud to have them.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99FBODY
I have 20% all around but also have a doctors document saying that I'm aloud to have them.
Then you're one of the few lucky ones

Quick Reply: Front tints now legal in Illinois?