Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

cops being dicks once again...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cops being dicks once again...

So, me and my buddy bought an 84 camaro with a 383. We are wanting to make it into a drag only car. We were tuning the carb alittle yesterday so we were driving it after tuning alittle here and there just to see how it ran and one of the neighbors called the cops on us. the car is loud as hell even at idle, and we can't get on it yet as the motor isn't even broken in. My buddy pulls out onto the road for a final test run and the cop was already sitting there waiting for him. pulled him over, towed the car, and gave my buddy a court date because the car didn't have plates or insurance even though state farm has a 14 day grace period before you have to start a new policy. So now it's sitting at the impound waiting on us to get another paycheck to get her out D:
Old 06-22-2009, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have plates? The grace period is only allowed by State Farm if you call and notify your agent that you just purchased a car. The 14 day grace period is for your payment to fully invoke your policy. If you did that, State Farm will issue a proof starting from the date you called them. If you didn't, get insurance and proof of registration, show up to court and pay a fee for LATE compliance.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
So, me and my buddy bought an 84 camaro with a 383. We are wanting to make it into a drag only car. We were tuning the carb alittle yesterday so we were driving it after tuning alittle here and there just to see how it ran and one of the neighbors called the cops on us. the car is loud as hell even at idle, and we can't get on it yet as the motor isn't even broken in. My buddy pulls out onto the road for a final test run and the cop was already sitting there waiting for him. pulled him over, towed the car, and gave my buddy a court date because the car didn't have plates or insurance even though state farm has a 14 day grace period before you have to start a new policy. So now it's sitting at the impound waiting on us to get another paycheck to get her out D:
Sounds like you guys need to move to KY
Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

So you're driving a car that's unlicensed and unisured and you think the COP was being a dick? You might want to think again.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

usually that is the case, although id say in this one, its the neighbors that are dicks moreso than the fuzz.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
So you're driving a car that's unlicensed and unisured and you think the COP was being a dick? You might want to think again.
+1. You should check out the definition of insurance lapse. But I'm guessing you'll find out when you check the price of your next insurance statement. The grace period is for tabs, not insurance. You absolutely have to hold insurance (unless Wisconsin) if you're gonna operate a vehicle on a public road.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

lol... Im with this guy. you shouldnt be testing out a car w/o insurance or plates in the first place.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

drag strips work wonders for testing...hence the title "test and tune night".

sounds like you rebels will be DEEP in the 12s with this r a c e car.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

So the cops get a complaint and come do their job and take care of the problem. What a bunch of ******** them pigs are....

Hell in Indiana your just lucky they didnt get the shotguns out.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

If this were ten years ago the cops would have just said oh you are 12 feet away from your house? just put it up, first warning. but no this guy wouldn't even let us talk. He wasn't just doing his job he was being a dick about it and you could tell he liked it. I wasn't implying that he was a dick for stopping us. we did wrong lol. but he didn't have to tow the ****** I got pulled over without plates in my neon and they let me drive 4 miles to my house. this was just a loud *** camaro so that means they have to find some way to get money out of us.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Suburban/Small town police are clowns.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

If he is low in the ranks or new that could be used to get him a little bit higher up. A lot of the cops here are like that. We had one that always gave us crap and wouldn't let us sit down and when he got promoted he just shut up. On the other hand the sergeant sits down in the lot and talks to us... It can depend on how the rest of there day has went too...
Old 06-23-2009, 06:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

When they let you go with your Neon...no complaint. I'm sure you've been let go many times for various reasons. Now one does his job and the guys a dick. I don't remember hearing where they had to sit down and talk to you. BTW, news flash kid...almost every department REQUIRES the impoundment of cars for no insurance AND no registration OR drivers license. If an officer decides not too, and the bosses find out, he gets disciplined.

Why didn't you get insurance when you bought the car in the first place? Did you drive it home from where you got it?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

We didn't get insurance because we are just going to build it into a track only car so thats a waste of money. And once again, I'm not saying the guy is a dick for doing his job. I'm saying he was being a ******* dick, in general. Yelling at us and ****.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Come on man...The cops could have been a little easier, but you were driving an untagged uninsured vehicle on a residential street.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

I guess you could call it residential lol. Way out in the country 10 miles from the nearest gas station lmao
Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 94dragbird
If he is low in the ranks or new that could be used to get him a little bit higher up. A lot of the cops here are like that. We had one that always gave us crap and wouldn't let us sit down and when he got promoted he just shut up. On the other hand the sergeant sits down in the lot and talks to us... It can depend on how the rest of there day has went too...
Promoted for towing a car? Sounds like almost every cop is going to be promoted then. What the **** is the cop supposed to do? He gets a complaint and he comes out and finds someone driving a car without plates or insurance.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Point blank... The cop was obviously on a power trip, or just trying to teach you a lesson. Which ever it was doesn't matter, you guys were wrong for operating a vehicle on a city road without plates or insurance and for that reason the cop had a right to impound the vehicle. It sucks, but thats what happens.

Just tell him to go to court and plead his case and see what happens. GL

James
Old 06-24-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, to many people that think cops are dicks for pulling them over for breaking the law.... I know there is a grace period for plates but when you are jumping on the gas with a loud car, near homes, no plates, no insurance??????

Come on man!!!!!!!!!!!!

My old 83 had an open exhaust with a BBC and I never had any problems but I was not stupid with it.......

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
If this were ten years ago the cops would have just said oh you are 12 feet away from your house? just put it up, first warning. but no this guy wouldn't even let us talk. He wasn't just doing his job he was being a dick about it and you could tell he liked it. I wasn't implying that he was a dick for stopping us. we did wrong lol. but he didn't have to tow the ****** I got pulled over without plates in my neon and they let me drive 4 miles to my house. this was just a loud *** camaro so that means they have to find some way to get money out of us.
It all depends on the cop man, here some will tow your for racing, others with ticket you, others willl let you go afrter a stern verbal warning.... I got pulled over for a 100 in a 40 once and drove a way with a verbal warning...

You were not in the driveway, no plates, no insurance, load car and he or whatever was on the gas sooo dick or not I don't see the point??? The car could not legally be on the road??? So????? People keep track only cars off the street for a reason........ tune it at the track.....

Maybe you can explain why the cop should not have been a dick when multiple laws were being broken? It is not like you were so close you your house that you could throw a rock and hit it.... the cops around my house and my parents house have told me that as long as I am not doing anything stupid (IE reving it) they could care less how loud the car is.... one of them would even smile and wave at me as I was driving away............

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 06-24-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
It is not like you were so close you your house that you could throw a rock and hit it....
we had JUST pulled out of the drive way. so i think I could have thrown a cinder block and hit the house lol.

Quick Reply: cops being dicks once again...