Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Chicagoland guys - What broadband internet provider do you have??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chicagoland guys - What broadband internet provider do you have??

Well, I'm in the NW suburbs, and have learned to truly hate AT&T over the years (currently only have DSL with them, and am looking to get rid of it). I want to go with a nice broadband company, but I can't seem to find any other internet service providers in the area besides Comcast. I never had my house wired for cable, TV, and the sales agent with Comcast said it would cost quite a bit for installation. So, I'm looking for advice. What other Internet Service Provider do you use, or do you know of any in the area? Thanks much for the input!

Woody
Old 09-01-2009, 07:02 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

What the hell, since when do they charge for installing cable??
Comcast internet has always been the best for us. I have dsl at my office, no comcast in the area.
Huge difference, much less crashing, and seems faster than dsl.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Had Comcast where I used to live then moved and the only option is AT&T. I have to agree with mrdragster, Comcast crashed less, and was faster. This DSL has a lot of "hiccups" which can be really frustrating when you're trying to work on something. Never really had problems with Comcast, it was just pretty expensive.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Comcast here
Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Comcast but my *** hurts
Old 09-01-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have WOW, Wide Open West. Compared to Comcast they are great. I feel reasonably priced too.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

I think I may be going with Comcast.... but damn that's expensive.... Anyone have any alternatives like WOW for cable internet? I'd love to take see what they could do for me, but it's not available in my area
Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Ive have Comcast high speed which works great for me. I have never heard of them charging for a new install unless its something special and they aren't in your area.

I also have had AT&T U-Verse high speed internet which offers high speed internet at a much reduced price. I prefered Comcast though because they offered greater upload speeds and I ocassiaonally have to FTP some very large files from home to my office.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Well, I do have quite a long driveway - it's about 1/5 mile long. When I spoke to someone a couple months ago, they said it was going to be $150 for to lay the line, and another $50 to install the equipment. After reading your guys' posts here, I talked to Comcast again, and they said they'd install the TV, and internet for a stinkin' $75 - no price for laying the cable. Wow! Better, but it's still going to be pretty pricey service every month, so I'm still very much open to other ideas!

Thanks so far guys!! Keep the ideas flowin
Woody
Old 09-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

I have comcast phone, cable, and internet. Its not that bad priced either. Ive had them for a while though. I love them.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MjMaro
Had Comcast where I used to live then moved and the only option is AT&T. I have to agree with mrdragster, Comcast crashed less, and was faster. This DSL has a lot of "hiccups" which can be really frustrating when you're trying to work on something. Never really had problems with Comcast, it was just pretty expensive.
i used to have alot of problems will my att dsl till i actually got a technician out at my house who knew what he was doing and fixed it and for the past 2 months it has never crashed once and before it used to crash 3-4 times in a month, but i also did get rid of my att phone service and kept the dsl and switched to tmobile home phone service
Old 09-03-2009, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

I have u-verse and love it
Old 09-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

Ok, well I wound up putting in the order for Comcast!!! I'm so freakin excited! I'm going from a 768Kb/s DSL to 15Mb/s Cable hookup on Tuesday - I can't wait!

As soon as I'm out of Pre-Paid minutes on my cellphone, I can get rid of AT&T completely I haven't been happy with any of their service, and they've blown me off a few times in the past when techs were supposed to come out to my house to fix my DSL.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadBandit69
I have u-verse and love it
U-Verse has Internet? I thought it was just a TV service?

I use Comcast Business class, have been a customer since the first time it was available in the 90's when they used to be a different name (I forget what they used to be called) but I have never had any major issues.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMSS1LE
U-Verse has Internet? I thought it was just a TV service?
Yea well I had the att yahoo dsl. Then I upgraded my tv and internet to the uverse service and I had to get a different modem and what not, and my tv is on the same bill. So I guess its uverse service.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had comcast for a long time, and constantly had upstream packet loss. I had a tech come out to fix it about 6 times and it still never did anything, so I switched to ATT, somewhat slower, but it seems to be a better provider for me.

Quick Reply: Chicagoland guys - What broadband internet provider do you have??