Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Speed inc. Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010 | 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

Larry is my life time partner lol seriously though a pretty good shop, speak with Larry first before you do anything. Good luck
Old 01-27-2010 | 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

I have been buying all my go fast parts from Larry@Speed since 2005. And every year, the car just keeps getting faster and faster. Larry is great to work with and usually recommends what you need for your next mods. Just tell him your goals and he'll make it happen.
Old 01-28-2010 | 10:06 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, we appreciate it and are glad to be of service

-Jim
Old 01-28-2010 | 10:18 AM
9 Second Club

I've been going there for 10 years and can't say enough about them.
Old 01-28-2010 | 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Speed Inc is a top notch Shop? Company. They are one of our vendors as well and I am sure the either Larry or Frasher will be more than glad to help. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 01-28-2010 | 10:43 AM
Customizing Director

I had them install a PI3200 converter back in 2002-2003. Very friendly and very fair prices. However I did run into a few issues shortly after the install. The fluid was not at the proper level and the tune was not set correctly at first which caused me to have a few issues over the week I drove the car. They did however fix the problem after I called and asked them.

After ~3 months I decided to go ahead and install a set of long tubes. While doing this I wanted to inspect the transmission. To my surprise most bolts on the bell housing were loose except for the 3 & 9 o'clock bolts. When I called about this issue I was just told that it would be fine since there are so many bolts... I went ahead and torqued all the bolts down myself.

Granted they did fix the original issue, I must say that I am hesitant on their service. It just seemed like they did a rush job on my original install. I am looking to finish my Procharger project if I decide to keep the car and may consider going back for the tune.
Old 01-28-2010 | 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Thanks to everyone for the kind words, we appreciate it and are glad to be of service

-Jim
Wow, Jim you sold your Z06 too. I can still remember you running your h/c LT1 SS @ GLD in the late 90's before sporting a turbo system in it, then sold that too. You guys must be tired of going FAST.
Old 01-30-2010 | 08:36 AM
Banned

thanks for all the kind words guys we do try very hard to do our best in every area of service

please email me your mod list and goals which I will use to prepare a detailed estimate Monday
Old 01-30-2010 | 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
I had them install a PI3200 converter back in 2002-2003. Very friendly and very fair prices. However I did run into a few issues shortly after the install. The fluid was not at the proper level and the tune was not set correctly at first which caused me to have a few issues over the week I drove the car. They did however fix the problem after I called and asked them.

After ~3 months I decided to go ahead and install a set of long tubes. While doing this I wanted to inspect the transmission. To my surprise most bolts on the bell housing were loose except for the 3 & 9 o'clock bolts. When I called about this issue I was just told that it would be fine since there are so many bolts... I went ahead and torqued all the bolts down myself.

Granted they did fix the original issue, I must say that I am hesitant on their service. It just seemed like they did a rush job on my original install. I am looking to finish my Procharger project if I decide to keep the car and may consider going back for the tune.
I do not recall your situation, but is has been a long time. We do always double check the fluid and also state the customer check it again after the drive home.

tune wise I'm not sure what could have been wrong with a simple converter swap, but hey if we missed something we did take care of it as noted.

loose bell housing bolts and the fact you state we said it was o.k I find hard to believe

The bolts are started and ran in with an impact and not manually with a ratchet, so to be loose just makes no sense...not calling you a lier, but this just seems so odd to me.

well all I can say is we are sorry for your bad experience. We did have a tech which we had some bumps here and there with.. he has not been with the company though for about 3 years though due to those reasons.

please let me know if we could ever help and I will make sure you are happy with your visit

Last edited by LS1 SPEED; 01-30-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2010 | 01:06 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
I do not recall your situation, but is has been a long time. We do always double check the fluid and also state the customer check it again after the drive home.

tune wise I'm not sure what could have been wrong with a simple converter swap, but hey if we missed something we did take care of it as noted.

loose bell housing bolts and the fact you state we said it was o.k I find hard to believe

The bolts are started and ran in with an impact and not manually with a ratchet, so to be loose just makes no sense...not calling you a lier, but this just seems so odd to me.

well all I can say is we are sorry for your bad experience. We did have a tech which we had some bumps here and there with.. he has not been with the company though for about 3 years though due to those reasons.

please let me know if we could ever help and I will make sure you are happy with your visit

As Larry, myself, or any business manager/owner can tell you, you are only as good as your worst employee. Sometimes we hire people who appear qualified and maybe they are, but they make mistakes or have other issues that come up and it reflects in their work. Ultimately it is the shops responsibility for their mistakes, but all they can do is try to make it right. Thats where you see the differences in shops, some will argue that their tech walks on water and some will step up to make it right. I doubt Speed Inc got where they are by allowing substandard work to be allowed out the door on any type of regular basis. Of course, all of us (shops and customers alike) would love for every job to go perfect, on time, on budget, with no problems at all, but the reality is sometimes things don't go right and all any good shop can do is fix it and try and make it right. No one wants to bring their cars back and no shop wants to do your job twice for the price of doing it once.

One thing people should really think about, especially these days when money is becoming more of a factor, is that supporting sponsors of this site and others is really important. I order parts from Speed Inc and since I live in Il I gotta pay tax and yes, sometimes I can find the same part for (literally) 3 or 4 bucks cheaper or maybe Jegs has it cheap, but do you see ANYONE from Jegs, Summit, or ebay on here helping members with their cars? Nope. If you order from Jegs, and they screw up, and you post it here, do you think anyone from Jegs would join and reply? Nope. Larry and other people from Speed are on here and helping out, thats worth a few of your hard earned bucks.

You can send Larry an email and know his advice is based off experience. I have sperm that know more about cars than the "tech guy" at Summit. I'd rather take my advice from a guy who has turned out a few 1000 HP cars.
Old 01-30-2010 | 01:11 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOLO
Wow, Jim you sold your Z06 too. I can still remember you running your h/c LT1 SS @ GLD in the late 90's before sporting a turbo system in it, then sold that too. You guys must be tired of going FAST.
I still have the issue of GMHTP (may have been just "High Tech Performance" back then) where they did the story on the Chicago area street racers. Jim, PSJ, Andy, and a few other guys were in it. Man I feel old....
Old 01-30-2010 | 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

Yes. If u where to have problems I believe they would stand behind there work
top notch shop and people at speed

I deal with alot of people in my farm biz and aside from him Being in a different professionI would say Larry is one of the best in customer service..I've ever delt with
Old 01-30-2010 | 03:46 PM
Launching!

Larry is a great guy to work with! I'm moving to Texas in a few weeks and I will still continue to use Speed as my main resource for Parts/info/advice....
Old 01-30-2010 | 04:49 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED

I appreciate it. I sent you a PM to further explain what I came across.
Old 01-30-2010 | 06:32 PM
Banned

thanks again guys

I am always available by email if anything ever comes up, days, nights and weekends. ( just might take a little longer to respond at times )

MadIce email me please since my PM is off

thanks
Old 01-30-2010 | 07:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cammedws6
nice, i appreciate all of the feedback. now i need to figure out what set up i need?, i want at least 400 rwhp!
I did a "cam special" on my '00 z-28.
I was going to do the header and LS6 intake install (already had 'em) before bringing it in for the cam/springs/ dunotune special.
Larry quoted me almost nothing to put on MY headers and MY supplied intake!

I wanted 400whp WITH STOCK MUFFLER

With their Comp 224 cam it made 382whp with original catback...

On the ride home I had a misfire. I pulled the plugs the next morning and found one cracked porcelain!?! I'm not too sure how it was dynoed with the broken plug but I found the prob staight away so I moved on. I did need to return a week or two later for a retune as the car kept dying upon cold start.

Car went 12.70's on all season tires at 114-115mph after I put on a SLP quiet muffler...

Great service as everybody here has said.

Now I'm jockin' a much faster evo so I can't use them... If I could I would!

OH YEAH. Larry has email bluetoothed to inside his brain

Last edited by nickate; 01-30-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2010 | 09:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Speed Inc. for the win... Tons of experience, and they have plenty of heads/cam/intake swap experience for a car like yours. While I picked the parts, they put together my white 2000 z/28 from end to end and it went 10.9@123mph @ 3300 raceweight h/c/i 348 cid and 10.008 on a 150 shot.
Old 01-30-2010 | 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Speed Inc. for the win... Tons of experience, and they have plenty of heads/cam/intake swap experience for a car like yours. While I picked the parts, they put together my white 2000 z/28 from end to end and it went 10.9@123mph @ 3300 raceweight h/c/i 348 cid and 10.008 on a 150 shot.
PSJ, I definitely remember those runs back in Nov. 2007. It was also my first time out on spray, running 10.4 @130 and of course with the help of who else? Larry @Speed!:
Old 01-31-2010 | 10:01 AM
Launching!

Larry... It seems you are a modern day John Lingenfelter!

You have really made a positive impact on the LSX world and you should be congratulated.
Old 01-31-2010 | 10:04 AM
Launching!

TS6....

"As Larry, myself, or any business manager/owner can tell you, you are only as good as your worst employee."

Truer words can never be spoken.

Quick Reply: Speed inc. Yes or no?