Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

IL Peeps: Who here details?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Hey Matt email them to me.. I am sure that Ken wont mind.. Then I can upload them too

torchd02ta@comcast.net
email sent.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FBODY
email sent.
Got the E-mail

This is 02sleeperz28 (KEN) and 99FBODY (MATT) did the correction.

Hey Matt my paint is no where near that bad. my swirls are barely visible.

What was the correction on Kens car? Do you think that it is 100% corrected? What waxes, polishes and sealants do you use? Also pads?

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is very hard to 100% of all corrections out of paint just because they are driven and paint takes a beating, on that panel its very close to perfect. That was taken after just polishing with M105 and an orange pad. I did no apply wax yet when I took that pic. As for the process it would depend on how bad the swirls/scratches are. I like to start with an orange pad and SIP or M105 and if the marks arent coming out I would up it a yellow pad. I then follow up with a swirl remover to get out any micro marring left from the polish. Then a couple coats of wax and its all good to go.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

It is very hard to 100% of all corrections out of paint just because they are driven and paint takes a beating, on that panel its very close to perfect. That was taken after just polishing with M105 and an orange pad. I did no apply wax yet when I took that pic. As for the process it would depend on how bad the swirls/scratches are. I like to start with an orange pad and SIP or M105 and if the marks arent coming out I would up it a yellow pad. I then follow up with a swirl remover to get out any micro marring left from the polish. Then a couple coats of wax and its all good to go.
The photos look great.

If you are having stubborn swirl marks, it's probably better to switch the abrasive then to change the pad first. I use an orange pad with IP and if I'm having difficulty then I switch to 3M's Rubbing Compound with an orange pad. The yellow pad is kinda hardcore and I would only use it for serious defects or resurfacing after wet-sanding.

What sealants or waxes are you using? I haven't really experimented with too many.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
The photos look great.

If you are having stubborn swirl marks, it's probably better to switch the abrasive then to change the pad first. I use an orange pad with IP and if I'm having difficulty then I switch to 3M's Rubbing Compound with an orange pad. The yellow pad is kinda hardcore and I would only use it for serious defects or resurfacing after wet-sanding.

What sealants or waxes are you using? I haven't really experimented with too many.
I have rarely used my yellow pad other than when I wet sanded my hood. As for sealants I have used tropi-care sunburst sealant which is pretty good, for wax I have used pretty much everything out there, I like the pinnacle wax and for an off the shelf wax I would say meg gold class.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

hhahah nope. my lights were going crazy the other morning. I still think my alt is fvcked up. i need to swap it out
i have a couple spare ls1 alts if you wanna try it out before you buy one.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have rarely used my yellow pad other than when I wet sanded my hood. As for sealants I have used tropi-care sunburst sealant which is pretty good, for wax I have used pretty much everything out there, I like the pinnacle wax and for an off the shelf wax I would say meg gold class.
for OTC ( off the shelf ) i would suggest meg's # 26 yellow tech wax liquid.
also, you can purchase s100 from your local harley dealer, which is the same as p21s.........carnauba paste.

yep yep
Old 04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by birdmaro
i have a couple spare ls1 alts if you wanna try it out before you buy one.
I bought a brand new one for $89 shipped

James when you doing my car
Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I bought a brand new one for $89 shipped

James when you doing my car
I'm thinking of detailing cars for some side cash. Your thread in the Appearance and Detailing section has gotten some locals interested in someone who details cars as I see Presidential Detail is sought for.

To be true to my word about not costing you a penny, I would be willing to detail your car for free as my first web-exclusive "test car" as a means to show my professionalism and results to gather a more solid interest in my services.

I have a 96 V6 Firebird Daily Driver that is in poor condition (very dull with extensive swirls) and want to show off my skill. I'll post pictures either tonight or tomorrow in a separate thread here in the Midwestern section.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm thinking of detailing cars for some side cash. Your thread in the Appearance and Detailing section has gotten some locals interested in someone who details cars as I see Presidential Detail is sought for.

To be true to my word about not costing you a penny, I would be willing to detail your car for free as my first web-exclusive "test car" as a means to show my professionalism and results to gather a more solid interest in my services.

I have a 96 V6 Firebird Daily Driver that is in poor condition (very dull with extensive swirls) and want to show off my skill. I'll post pictures either tonight or tomorrow in a separate thread here in the Midwestern section.
Nice. Link the thread here when you get the pics uploaded
Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Nice. Link the thread here when you get the pics uploaded
Jonas - If you don't accept 02TransAm/Batmobile offer to detail your car.. I'll kill ya!

02TransAm/Batmobile - If my buddy Jonas isn't interested, let me know. I have 97 SS that is dying to be your "test" car.. I'm just saying, that's all.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cough *also a good candidate for free "test car" detail* cough

My swirls look like the pic Torchd posted ^^^, PM me a appx. cost of getting rid of them!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Hey, Im interested also..PM me more details. I have a 2000 Z28 Black-on-Black, that could use a good detail for this summer.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

back off fvckers... I'm first

hahahah
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha now everyone wants your free detail. I need to make a book of all the cars I have detailed.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a photo album and plenty of links to autopia for my work
Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I should probably do that, I had a ton of cars that I did before and that was on my other camera which is probably in some one elses hands since I lost it a year ago. Just sucks cuz I had a bunch of c6s that I did.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haha now everyone wants your free detail. I need to make a book of all the cars I have detailed.
Yeah Matt you really should.. Kens car looks great
Originally Posted by gavspurplez
i have a photo album and plenty of links to autopia for my work
Post them up.. Or PM them to me
Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is getting to be a good thread. I never knew this many people detailed around our area. I have to make a book to leave at straightline so people can look at it cuz no one really knows what goes into detailing a car unless they have actually done it them self.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...navigator.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...-2004-z06.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...ers-300-a.html

i know the dates are from a while back, i detailed more when i was in the city and when i first moved to the burbs..........last couple years i have only done a couple cars here and there.

but you can get the idea.

i can post more pics from home, when i can access photobucket

Quick Reply: IL Peeps: Who here details?