Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Ohio E-check issue. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ohio E-check issue. Need help!

I'm looking at a '99 T/A with M6, magic stick 4 cam, pacesetter long tube headers, ls6 intake and throttle body and 4.10 gears. It currently does not have cats installed and a CEL light that is throwing an O2 code (assuming because of not having cats).

My knowledge is pretty limited on cam setups so just trying to figure out what if anything I can do to have it pass e-check so I can get plates and enjoy it.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

You could get your pcm tuned to turn out the light. I've heard Frost does a good job. I had my pcm tuned to remove the check engine light when I removed the egr in my 1999 TA.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

I didn't even know they still had it I think my car had one in 2004 and that was the last year of it. If you can't register it in a county that doesn't have it and have to go on the rollers I don't think the cam will pass.

If you just need to plug in with the car off to the code reader you could have the codes turned off. I suspect the MS4 is going to draw a lot of attention to you though.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98redorangeta
I didn't even know they still had it I think my car had one in 2004 and that was the last year of it. If you can't register it in a county that doesn't have it and have to go on the rollers I don't think the cam will pass.

If you just need to plug in with the car off to the code reader you could have the codes turned off. I suspect the MS4 is going to draw a lot of attention to you though.
Unfortunately only 7 counties still have it and it happens to be the CLE surrounding area. Naturally, any friends or family I have locally are within those counties
Old 01-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I didn't even know there were still counties in Ohio that were doing emissions!
Old 01-05-2017, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

I live in one of those counties....it's free but a hassle and makes no sence that it is still in place when it's not state wide
Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

yup it blows. Might have to pass on this T/A now because of it. Such BS
Old 01-05-2017, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Just get a tune done and it will pass no problem. Either look for someone with HP tuners or get it done at a dyno shop. Hutter Performamce in Chardon is best in northern ohio
Old 01-05-2017, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WizardofDetailing
Just get a tune done and it will pass no problem. Either look for someone with HP tuners or get it done at a dyno shop. Hutter Performamce in Chardon is best in northern ohio
Even without cats and such an aggressive cam?

Being totally honest, it's been so long since I had to e-check a vehicle that I don't even remember what the test consists of
Old 01-05-2017, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

The Cuyahoga County(Cleveland) visual inspection(looking underneath with a mirror) will fail it because of no cats visible. Would probably fail on the roller test too because the 'sniffer' would detect 'not-tolerable' emissions. But it probably wouldn't get that far anyway because of the CEL light on,they'll tell you to come back after the CEL light is no longer on.
Emission monitors must be complete and CEL off to get the quick OBDII plug in test. If emission monitors are 'incomplete',they'll send you to a station that has 'roller' testing and there you'd fail because of no cats.
I work part-time at a Tuffy automotive center and take cars to the testing stations and have been thru the various scenarios. You can get a waiver when you spend $500 to get the problem solved. If spending at least $500 does not correct the problem,that's when the 'waiver' occurs. The stations require to see the work done receipt. But you'd still fail because of no cats.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Most of those that know they're gonna be modifying get 'collector' plates/registration before mods are done as that requires a emissions passing situation to get the collector tags. Once that's done,collector tags eliminate all future testing for your ownership of that vehicle. Sell the car and the new owner get screwed as it has to go thru testing again.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
The Cuyahoga County(Cleveland) visual inspection(looking underneath with a mirror) will fail it because of no cats visible. Would probably fail on the roller test too because the 'sniffer' would detect 'not-tolerable' emissions. But it probably wouldn't get that far anyway because of the CEL light on,they'll tell you to come back after the CEL light is no longer on.
Emission monitors must be complete and CEL off to get the quick OBDII plug in test. If emission monitors are 'incomplete',they'll send you to a station that has 'roller' testing and there you'd fail because of no cats.
I work part-time at a Tuffy automotive center and take cars to the testing stations and have been thru the various scenarios. You can get a waiver when you spend $500 to get the problem solved. If spending at least $500 does not correct the problem,that's when the 'waiver' occurs. The stations require to see the work done receipt. But you'd still fail because of no cats.
Say I were to throw on stock headers, cats and exhaust and assuming that cleared the o2 code, do you think even with the cam in it I'd have any prayer of passing?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Teching In

yeet yah
Old 01-05-2017, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Response to question of post#12,yes should be OK as long as CEL light isn't on and emission monitors are ready. Getting emission monitors ready sometimes takes many drive cycles. EVAP monitor works best at getting ready with 1/4-3/4 tank of gas.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Response to question of post#12,yes should be OK as long as CEL light isn't on and emission monitors are ready. Getting emission monitors ready sometimes takes many drive cycles. EVAP monitor works best at getting ready with 1/4-3/4 tank of gas.
Awesome news that there is a chance, this T/A may still be on the table for me still then!
Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If your still trying to get this figured out I have a stock exhaust setup all the way to the merge that I would be willing to trade/ sell living in Brunswick
Old 02-02-2017, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

THanks for the offer, unfortunately the guy changed his mind and decided to keep the car and not sell so my hunt for a T/A continues

Quick Reply: Ohio E-check issue. Need help!