Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Legal Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Problems

It had been snowing and the streets where frozen...I turn but my car keeps going I slam on my brakes but still hit a stop sign...I call the police to get a report done and the guy gives me a ticket for "Going to fast for conditions" wtf!! The ticket was 60 dollars and its a 30$ court fee if I decide to fight it...I'm going to fight it since I don't want my insurance will DOUBLE but I need advice as to say.

So far I have:
If I was going over 15 the air bags would have deployed!
How do you know I was going to fast if you weren't even there? He said that he's seen over 600 accidents and that that sign wouldnt be tipped that much if I was going slow to which I think I will reply, the signs are ment to flex otherwise they will kill people.....
I'm also gonna say that my car only weighs 3.3 k pounds and doesnt handle in the snow like the "other" 600 cars You guys have anything to add, that would help out tons! Its gonna cost me about 500 to fix the damages...since I have a bud in the autobody business. Got an estimate from the body shops and it totals to 2 grand...

Thanks!
Jesus
Old 12-24-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

it happens, i wouldnt think it would be too hard to get out of considering conditions and the car driven

how vbad did the car take it?

good luck on the case
Old 12-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Ya the cops do that a lot its a royal pain in the *** you try to do the right thing and report the incident and by doing so they give you a ticket! And they wonder why people just drive off!!!! Sorry about the incident, i do know in my area if you havent had any other tickets within like the last 12 months they will just give you probation for like 3 to 6 months and even if you have had a ticket they just make you take a driving class with it (only you have to pay for that also which is 40 bucks). Ive never challenged a ticket so if you go that route hope it all works out.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

Well a lawyer is 180$ and she said she's never asked to have this offence ammended down to wreckless driving so I'm not sure if its worht paying 180 if she isn't going to clear it...I need to find a better lawyer!
Old 12-24-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

isnt wreckless driving offence worse than a speeding ticket?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Too Fast for Conditions is not a speeding ticket.

All it says it that you were travelling too fast to safely control your vehicle with the present conditions in place. That "should" not affect your insurance, unless you have this problem alot.

My advice is to pay the 60$ and go on about your life, cause you WILL NOT WIN it in a battle in court. Simply because you hit the sign they have sufficient physical evidence to prove that your were travelling "Too Fast for Conditions" and that you did not have full control of your vehicle.

Cops are not writing you the ticket "just to be an ***" they are writing the ticket to enforce the law because you became an endangerment to yourself and others. Would you say that the cop wrote you for 100 in a 70 and the only reason was because he was being an ***? no! You again put yourself and other in danger so they are simply enforcing the law that they are sworn to uphold.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup...tough one to fight. Their response will be that if you weren't going too fast, then you wouldn't have hit the sign. Just try to get court supervision or take traffic school to avoid the insurance hike.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a too fast for conditions ticket. Showed up to fight it, never said a word and they lowered it to impeding traffic
Old 12-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Banned

I got a too fast for conditions ticket. Showed up to fit it, never said a word and they lowered it to impeding traffic
lotsa mixed responses, I'm not sure what too do, but It was turning fine but I hit a patch of ice and the car slid I was only going about 10 mph, if I was going any faster my airbags would have deployed. I'm insured through american family are you sure it wont go up? Mine will double if I get a ticket imma go bye there on monday and see what they have to say, I have court on monday as well
Old 12-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Launching!

speak to your insurer, see what they say about raising ur premium. but take what they say with a grain of salt, one person might say no, but still charge you, they are scammers like that. fighting it wont hurt. the worst they can do is make you pay it. dont bother with a lawyer, just show up on the date and see what happens (though idk how traffic court works in your state, so be aware).
Old 12-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Launching!

lotsa mixed responses, I'm not sure what too do, but It was turning fine but I hit a patch of ice and the car slid I was only going about 10 mph, if I was going any faster my airbags would have deployed. I'm insured through american family are you sure it wont go up? Mine will double if I get a ticket imma go bye there on monday and see what they have to say, I have court on monday as well
Your insurance won't even know you got a ticket if you get court supervision. You just serve the probation peroid and then your good. The only thing you have to watch out for is while your on probation is dont get another ticket otherwise both tickets go on your record and your insurance will go up!
Old 12-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Launching!

wait, i dont understand. who gets probation for that? perhaps its a different definition of probation?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It won't hike up your insurance. Your insurance only goes up if you have a moving violation. Too fast for conditions is not a moving violation. Just pay it and be done with it.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
It won't hike up your insurance. Your insurance only goes up if you have a moving violation. Too fast for conditions is not a moving violation. Just pay it and be done with it.
really?, i would think anything woth the words"too fast" would constitude a moving violation....cool

if thats the case i wodunlt even bother then, as for the too fast for conditions ticket, they are all bs, imho, if they really gave them otu to everyone who was moving "too fast for conditions" half the country would have that ticket on the frist big snow of the year.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Banned

Thanks for the response guys, like I said the lawyer lady said she could ammend it to wrekless driving which would be a non moving violation, which made me think "wtf". If what you say is true then why would she ammend it if it wasn't going to go on my record I told her I just don't want it to go on my record...I don't think this lady knows what she's doing...But she's the person that I got referred to from the police department!
Old 12-25-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

unless you can get supervison, or win a case against it, its going to go on your record, no if and's or but's
however, if its not a moving violation your insurance wont be affected.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:26 AM
Banned

Is supervision the same thing as "probation" ?
Old 12-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Launching!

honestly, wreckless driving sounds (and i think IS) a lot worse than driving too fast for conditions
Old 12-25-2005, 01:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wreckless driving is like doing over 30mph over the speed limit, definitely not as bad as driving to fast for conditions
Old 12-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Launching!

Is supervision the same thing as "probation" ?
Yep, its the same thing.

Quick Reply: Legal Problems