Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Need a room close to East Chicago, Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a room close to East Chicago, Indiana

I have a potential job opportunity in East Chicago, Indiana. This job will require me to move somewhere around the area...preferably within 45 minutes or so. I currently live about 2 and a half hours away and there is no way that I am commuting, even in my V6 camaro that gets about 30 mpg.

I am hoping someone can help me out with a place to live. My job will be at conocophillips so I will have a steady income for a roommate, apartment, etc. If any of you in the area know of a decent place that I can stay, please let me know. I did some apartment searching online, but that really does not tell me what kind of neighborhood these places are in (crime rates and such). I am willing to move in with someone if there is such a kind offer. I am an honest, clean, nonsmoking young man.

PM, email, or post up if you can help me out.

Thanks guys.
Joe
Old 04-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chino_man279
I have a potential job opportunity in East Chicago, Indiana. This job will require me to move somewhere around the area...preferably within 45 minutes or so. I currently live about 2 and a half hours away and there is no way that I am commuting, even in my V6 camaro that gets about 30 mpg.

I am hoping someone can help me out with a place to live. My job will be at conocophillips so I will have a steady income for a roommate, apartment, etc. If any of you in the area know of a decent place that I can stay, please let me know. I did some apartment searching online, but that really does not tell me what kind of neighborhood these places are in (crime rates and such). I am willing to move in with someone if there is such a kind offer. I am an honest, clean, nonsmoking young man.

PM, email, or post up if you can help me out.

Thanks guys.
Joe
Well, to be honest I don't think you want to be livin in East Chicago or anywhere in the immediate area. Its pretty ghetto (Gary and Whiting border East Chicago as well). My uncle works at the Amoco plant and he commutes from Dyer, IN. Its about a 30-45 minute drive for him. Any of the burbs around Dyer are nice....Schererville, St. John, Merrillville. They pretty much are an extension of the Chicago burbs. If you were going to live in that area, you most likely would just shoot up Cline ave into East Chicago (it turns into a highway at 94). Thats where most of the oil plants are anyways.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Thans for the feedback neon.

I noticed it is pretty ghetto in the immediate area. I am willing to commute 45 minutes. I saw some nice apartments online in the Merrillville area. The thing that sucks is that you do not know the type of neighborhood these things are in without getting feedback from someone(neonblack thx) with knowledge of the area. Yeah the place is about 2 miles off of cline, so that would be convenient.

Any other feedback or suggestions? I just do not want to live somewhere that my personal belongings are in danger. Most definately want to avoid anything that puts my life in danger too....
Old 04-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chino_man279
Thans for the feedback neon.

I noticed it is pretty ghetto in the immediate area. I am willing to commute 45 minutes. I saw some nice apartments online in the Merrillville area. The thing that sucks is that you do not know the type of neighborhood these things are in without getting feedback from someone(neonblack thx) with knowledge of the area. Yeah the place is about 2 miles off of cline, so that would be convenient.

Any other feedback or suggestions? I just do not want to live somewhere that my personal belongings are in danger. Most definately want to avoid anything that puts my life in danger too....
You would be alright in the Merillville area. My parents actually live in St. John, so I am familiar with the region. There always seems to be alot going on along Rt 41 and Rt 30 in the Shererville/Merrillville area. Not that you would want to live further south, but Crown Point (about 20 mins south of Shererville) has alot of car shows during the summer months.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Default East Chicago

Dont move to East chicago it is a shithole..... i am not joking i grew up around that area and it is a crime infested no streetcurb having craphole town. The people in that town are mostly mexican and black not trying to be racist here but there are a lot of ignorant morons from this place that just dont care about there town which leads to a poor neighborhood and some good amount of crackheads. Stick with anything south of 1-80/94 (excluding gary) and those neighborhods are alright.

Good luck findong a place...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I got the impression when I went there Friday that East Chicago is a shithole. My interview is tomorrow and I plan to enter and leave the town as quick as possible!!! It looks like Merrillville is the place to be around the area. That is where I will be looking extensively unless someone else has a better suggestion.

Thanks for all the feedback guys....keep it coming.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Nothing wrong with Merrerville its mostly a good town to live in but i am more biased towards Crown Pointe Schererville or Dyer in those areas. They are pretty nice imo. Good luck
Old 04-18-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some nice little towns not too far over the IL-IN border. Like Homewood for example, its definetely boring, buts its a very nice community. Hop on I-80 and you're in Indiana in no time.

Others include (from nearest to farthest) Glenwood, Hazel Crest, some parts of Chicago Heights are decent, Flossmoor is very nice but kinda pricey. Also tinley park area is very nice but that is considerably farther west. Either way they are all like a 5 min drive from hopping on I 80
Old 04-18-2006, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

I appreciate the constant feedback guys...
I will look into those areas in Illinois also. I really do not care where I live in particular. I just prefer something with a garaged and gated area. I will be bringing both of my camaros down eventually, so I will have to find a storage lot too.

I am willing to spend upto $650 a month for living with most if not all utilities. Need a place to work out and run also...a nice safe community that I can run at 2 in the morning if I so choose would be great!!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:53 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

Schererville is nice, they even have a BW3.

I think for $650 you can rent a decent apartment.

Might also try the lounge on www.mfba.org or the IN section on there.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Luna
There are some nice little towns not too far over the IL-IN border. Like Homewood for example, its definetely boring, buts its a very nice community. Hop on I-80 and you're in Indiana in no time.

Others include (from nearest to farthest) Glenwood, Hazel Crest, some parts of Chicago Heights are decent, Flossmoor is very nice but kinda pricey. Also tinley park area is very nice but that is considerably farther west. Either way they are all like a 5 min drive from hopping on I 80
Woah...try to avoid I-80 coming from IL if you are going to be travelling to East Chicago for work. Where 80 crosses into IN is one of the biggest bottlenecks in the Midwest, especially at rush hour. I did it for a year when I lived with my parents and commuted into IL from IN and that was before they started construction. They are redoing the interchange at 394 which will help considerably, but they are not going to be done for another couple years.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

ya 294/80-94/394 is fucked right now. east chicago is about a dump. go a lil further east and your in the murder capitol GARY INDIANA. if you head south about 15-20 minutes you could possibly find descent place in munster, highland,griffith areas or head a lil further south and hit schererville, merrillville(NEW GARY),and st john/dyer gets alot cleaner. or just stay up north in east chicago/gary, sit on porch and wait for a drive buy and fire back at em
Old 04-20-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neonblack
Woah...try to avoid I-80 coming from IL if you are going to be travelling to East Chicago for work. Where 80 crosses into IN is one of the biggest bottlenecks in the Midwest, especially at rush hour. I did it for a year when I lived with my parents and commuted into IL from IN and that was before they started construction. They are redoing the interchange at 394 which will help considerably, but they are not going to be done for another couple years.
Yea I guess during rush hour 80 towards indiana is kind of a crawl

Quick Reply: Need a room close to East Chicago, Indiana