Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Got a Ticket Last Night

Old 07-27-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Got a Ticket Last Night

I am from around Flint, Mi., and the cops around here are dicks. I was going down a hill on my way to a friends house, I knew the speed limit was 45. When I was cruising up the hill I was going 50, but then I let off the gas at the top of the hill, and I gained speed without realizing it. Next thing I know, there is a cop at the bottom of it. He pulls me over and says "I originally clocked you at 62 in a 45, but I will cut you a break and give you 55 in a 45."

Needless to say, it is a $115 fine, and 2 points on my license.

This is my first speeding ticket ever, so I have no idea what to do. I was wondering if you have any suggestions????

I just don't want the points. Insurance in this area is high due to the nasty city....I can't afford it being any higher. I am not saying that I wasn't in the wrong, but I am looking to maybe get a small break, since it was my first time and all.....

Any suggestions??
Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is your first ticket, then plead guilty & do court supervision and/or driving school. I would think MI would offer it. If you get the supervision or do the school it will not be reported to your insurance.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

If its your first ticket you qualify for a deferred program, i dont know what it will cost (probably just a little more than the ticket) but as long as you dont get nothing else within the next 6 months it wont show on your record.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for your help guys...

Anyone from Michigan want to chime in??

Especially if you have been through it before!!
Old 07-27-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah go for traffic school that what i always do it sucks but worth it... i got a parking ticket outside my GF house last night cause i was parked in the street past 2am stupid rule if u ask me
Old 07-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Import Patrol

I have a michigan drivers lic, but live in IL, and had gone thru the same **** in Berrien Springs, MI. Plead NOT GUILTY, you will be offered a plead bargain, which will include a small fine, and some supervision. Probably 4-6 months. But as mention, you can not **** up at all while your under supervision, otherwise you will be foung guilty on the charges that you are on supervision for.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just drove from Mt Morris going to drift battle. All you have to do is speak to the officer and ask him to put it under advisement. Pretty much you won't have get the ticket or the points, but if you get another ticket within the next 2 years it will go on. Or just ask the judge to have the points removed. As long as you were kind and respectful they SHOULD accept the offer.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could be like me. I got 5 tickets at once, went to court for over two months, finally got disposition on Wednesday. I was found guilty on 3 of them and received one year of court supervision for all of them. What happens the next day on my way to work? I got a speeding ticket. I violated my supervision not more than 12 hours later. So I am fucked, lol!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

What road in Flint. I used to go to school up there. I am really surprised that I never got busted. Do they still race up off N. Dort Highway, I think the races were on Saginaw. It has been over 5 years since I have been up that way. Can't say that I really miss the city much. Sorry about the ticket hopefully you can get the points dropped.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CrawlinWS6
Plead NOT GUILTY, you will be offered a plead bargain, which will include a small fine, and some supervision.
A plea bargain is only offered with a guilty plea. This is why it's labeled as a bargain, you're making a deal with the prosecution.

Not guilty will almost always end up with a judgement in favor of the officer.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Last ticket I got was north of Flint on I-75. I grew up in Davison and got pulled over for everything from having driving lights on (legally you can only have 2 white lights on the front of your car) to backing up to fast in a parking lot... rediculous.

What they will let you do is go to court and ask to have the ticket taken under advisement (meaning if you don't get a ticket in 6 months it is dropped) or ask that the points be removed, or the fine whatever you care the most about. If the police officer does not show up to court then the ticket is completely dropped.

I tried this in Ann Arbor, it didn't work. First thing the judge said was that he was not taking any tickets under advisement. He reduced the fine for me and elinated the points.

Depends on what your time is worth whether you try to fight it or just pay.

Oh and your insurance won't go up until you change your policy or company, they don't spend the money to audit your driving record unless they have reason to.

Brian
Old 07-30-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blackraven
What road in Flint. I used to go to school up there. I am really surprised that I never got busted. Do they still race up off N. Dort Highway, I think the races were on Saginaw. It has been over 5 years since I have been up that way. Can't say that I really miss the city much. Sorry about the ticket hopefully you can get the points dropped.
yes they do still race up at "The Cruise." It is off of Dort HWY, by a McDonalds. It gets broken up all the time now though. Yeah the city sucks ***, and the cops are even worse. I got pulled over off of Bristol Rd. by the Bishop Airport.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Last ticket I got was north of Flint on I-75. I grew up in Davison and got pulled over for everything from having driving lights on (legally you can only have 2 white lights on the front of your car) to backing up to fast in a parking lot... rediculous.

What they will let you do is go to court and ask to have the ticket taken under advisement (meaning if you don't get a ticket in 6 months it is dropped) or ask that the points be removed, or the fine whatever you care the most about. If the police officer does not show up to court then the ticket is completely dropped.

I tried this in Ann Arbor, it didn't work. First thing the judge said was that he was not taking any tickets under advisement. He reduced the fine for me and elinated the points.

Depends on what your time is worth whether you try to fight it or just pay.

Oh and your insurance won't go up until you change your policy or company, they don't spend the money to audit your driving record unless they have reason to.

Brian
Thx Brian. My time doesn't concern me as much as my driving record does. This is my first ticket ever, and I am planning on moving closer to Lansing, Mi. So my insurance policy will change.

So you recommend that I plead GUILTY, and ask to have the ticket taken under advisement?? I thought that if you plead guilty, then they don't let you say anything else. Maybe you can help me understand??
Old 07-30-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firebirdman469

So you recommend that I plead GUILTY, and ask to have the ticket taken under advisement?? I thought that if you plead guilty, then they don't let you say anything else. Maybe you can help me understand??
the judge in a traffic court normally makes an announcement when court opens. he will say that you are there for such and such reason, if you plead guilty you get this or you can plead not guilty and go to trial. if they don't explain your options, when you go up there simply ask "what can happen if i plead guilty". You'll be informed.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, like he said. You pretty much have to plead guilty, cause you are. You could plea temporary insanity if you like... good luck with that.

If the officer does not show, that you can plead not guilty, cause he isn't there and can't give his side, otherwise for traffic violations I'm not even sure they ask you are just guilty. Anyway, your plea would be it is your first ticket and whatever excuse you have for speeding hope he will let you have it taken under advisement.

Brian
Old 07-30-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Yeah, like he said. You pretty much have to plead guilty, cause you are. You could plea temporary insanity if you like... good luck with that.

If the officer does not show, that you can plead not guilty, cause he isn't there and can't give his side, otherwise for traffic violations I'm not even sure they ask you are just guilty. Anyway, your plea would be it is your first ticket and whatever excuse you have for speeding hope he will let you have it taken under advisement.

Brian
Thx man, i do too !!!
Old 07-31-2006, 06:27 AM
On The Tree

Last time I was up at "The Cruise" the cops kept driving through the McDonalds to chase everyone out. The only way you were allowed to stay in the parking lot is if you actually purchased something from the drivethru and decided to park it. Well best of luck with the ticket
Old 07-31-2006, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,087 Likes on 716 Posts

62 in a 45 is kind of lame unless your car is loud or something. Without you giving any more information, my assumption is that the cop was just sitting there and using that spot to write tickets. If that is the case, I will dress nice, and you can try pleading not guilty but you have to believe in your own heart that the ticket is unreasonable...
Old 07-31-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb

Given it's a first offense, ask if the judge will allow a "nolo".
You plead neither guilty, nor innocent. There is a time frame assigned for you to behave, and after that, the ticket is no longer a matter of record, on your acct. It costs the court costs, but is MUCH better than trying to out manuver the court.

Also, if the ticket was issued as a result of your driving downhill, there could be a situation that the ticket is invalid, due to the severity of the grade. You may want to check the law concerning that, before you go to see the judge....
Old 07-31-2006, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,087 Likes on 716 Posts

Yeah some folks would think that's not fair, but some hardass judges will just look at you and say "Where you speeding or not?" and you're done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got a Ticket Last Night