Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

need a trans rebuild, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default need a trans rebuild, anyone?

im putting in my converter and i got my trans out tonight. Fluid smells a little burnt. SO im thinking og gettin it rebuilt. As of now, the trans is perfectely fine. So all i wanna really replace is the clutches and install my shift kit. Anyone know where / who can do it for a decent price or on the side. Im southside of chicago. i want to do it asap also. can anyone help or shoot me to a shop or anything.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:23 AM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two guys that i would trust with a 4l60 is dean a DRC transmisson and chuck at finishline tranmissions.If your lookin for the cheapest and not worryed about it holdin up then there might be a few other out there that i don't know about.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

my buddy worked for TransEddies in orland and he quoted me $1500 for parts and labor. For a built up trans for when im spraying. He does all the trans's for powerhouse performance also. I know some powerhouse cars that are pretty sick.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:23 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
my buddy worked for TransEddies in orland and he quoted me $1500 for parts and labor. For a built up trans for when im spraying. He does all the trans's for powerhouse performance also. I know some powerhouse cars that are pretty sick.
I thought you didn't know anybody that why i suggested who i did.I had a 4l60 in my car for four years that was bulit by chuck at finishline and i went 10.15 with that setup in a 3400 pound car and it never skiped a beat.I was just trying to point you in the right direction if you didn't know of anyone.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Veteran

no, i know, i appreacate it. I rode motorcycles with the owner of FLP so i know they do great work. And there about $2500 to do a trans. thats a lot of money i dont got right now. And my trans works fine, just that the fluid smells a little burned. So for the time being till i get $2500, just seein if i can buy some time and just replace the clutches / bands in it before i put it back in. Like a little side job for someone. So why the trans is out, i got a couple hundred bucks to do a basic 1 through but not $2500 for a complete race trans, get my drift?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are your mods? Also what is your rwhp? We do offer different levels other that the level 5. I don't know if you have`been to our web page. It will give you some pricing along with some of the different parts that are used in the different levels. The level 3 is for bolt on cars. Level 4 is for head and cam cars. The level 5 is for the power adder cars such as turbo/supercharged cars. If I was you I would like to see the list of upgraded parts that Eddie is putting into his hypo units. For the $1500 he quoted you I hope that his list is close to our level 3. If not give us a call. We do specialize in hi-perf transmissions and probably do more quality control checks on our units than most all rebuilders do. We also have a dyno to ensure that your unit functions properly before it is released to you. I'm not saying that eddie does bad work because I really have never heard good or bad about him. I'm just saying make sure you get your monies worth. If you would like to come to the shop and see some of the mods we do to our units with a little tour feel free. If there is anything we can do let us know. Good luck, Vince.
Also make sure that drag racing and abuse to the trans is covered under warranty.

Last edited by FLT; 08-09-2006 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-09-2006, 09:18 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

no, i know, i appreacate it. I rode motorcycles with the owner of FLP so i know they do great work. And there about $2500 to do a trans. thats a lot of money i dont got right now. And my trans works fine, just that the fluid smells a little burned. So for the time being till i get $2500, just seein if i can buy some time and just replace the clutches / bands in it before i put it back in. Like a little side job for someone. So why the trans is out, i got a couple hundred bucks to do a basic 1 through but not $2500 for a complete race trans, get my drift?
Thats cool if atleast you know they build a hell of a transmisson.I just hate to see people spend money on somthing that takes a **** in a couple months.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

vince, ill be givin ya a call tomm. and well talk, thanks a lot man.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

i stopped by FLT today, and let me tell ya guys, Vince is a fukin COOL guy! Showed me the whole shop and really explained the whole trans set-up. He REALLY knows his trans's for sure. Ill be droppin my trans off to them asap.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with FLT!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:26 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

i stopped by FLT today, and let me tell ya guys, Vince is a fukin COOL guy! Showed me the whole shop and really explained the whole trans set-up. He REALLY knows his trans's for sure. Ill be droppin my trans off to them asap.
Glad to see your going in the right direction.You will be glad to get it done now instead of being stranded in the middle of somewere.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

flt all the way, vince and chuck are great at what they do.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:11 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the feedback guy's. We have worked hard to make our product where it is today. We are always searching to build a better animal. I personally can not take full credit for the quality of our transmissions. I have been hooked up with Chuck for almost 8 years now and quite a few of them working for the competition. The guy is one of the most stand up guy's I know. Even when I had problems working for others he hooked me up. That is why I am very proud to be a part of FLT. I have learned alot from the guy and look forward to many years of service at FLT for you the customer. Thank you again for the feedback. Vince.

Last edited by FLT; 08-11-2006 at 10:32 PM.