Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK
View Poll Results: What impresses you more?
An 8 second shop built car
24.05%
An 10-11 second home built garage special
75.95%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

What impresses you more??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What impresses you more??

I accidently deleted the other thread trying to make poll public. I sent all those who posted in the original thread their post from that thread. Please vote again!! Sorry and thanks, Darrin

This thread/poll is not directed at any one person or shop, so please don’t read more into it. This subject comes up fairly often and is more for my own curiosity than anything else. I want to see what the general consensus is. Please vote and post a reply explaining why you voted the way you did.

If there was a shop built car running 7-8’s sitting next to a home built car running a 10-11's, I would be more impressed with “home built” car. Why? Because to me what is the big deal about a 7-8 second shop car? Someone hired a shop to do a job and they did it, like they were supposed to do. Anyone can open their wallet, sign a check, or have their credit card swiped and buy a fast car. As the saying goes “How fast you want to go? How much do you want to spend?”

With a home-built car you know someone spent some time researching what parts to use, what labor is involved, and what tools are needed to build the car. They took the risk that if they chose the wrong parts or assembled something wrong they would have no one to blame but themselves. There is also a certain amount of personal pride in doing a job yourself. Home built cars should always go faster for the buck spent compared to a shop car. That is why a home built car assembled, running, built in a garage is for more impressive to me. My 2 cents.

I know there are home built cars running the same times or faster than shop built cars. But if I had a poll which would you prefer a 8 second home built or a 10-11 shop built car I pretty much could have guessed the results LOL. I just wanted to know what someone is impressed with, even if it was slower.

Last edited by BigD; 09-04-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Home built. I respect the shop built cars but I'm impressed by the guy down the street who put his own blood and sweat single handidly into his own car to achieve a dream. If that guy built his car to run 10's and still drive it to work everyday on his own dime then they should be applauded.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Teching In

I voted for home built. The fun part for me is the hands-on, learning as you go. I get a greater sense of pride knowing that I made it, which makes it a part of me. Mashing the loud pedal, banging gears and laying stripes is much more satisfying knowing I built it myself.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i voted shop built.

we can go 10s in a stalled auto with a cam and n2o...fairly easy in the grand scheme of things.

getting a car to the 8s, regardless of the source, takes a **** ton of time, knowledge, and money...#2 being the most important.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

i saya shop built mainly becuase i just dont have the time to work on my car anymore... dont get me wrong i love working on my car and i wish i could, but with me working 7 days a week 75 hours a week between two jobs... i just dont have the energy to work on it. i barely have enought time to browse LS1Tech haha. GETTING OLD SUCKS!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

i said shop because whether its shop built or done in your garage, 8 seconds is damn fast

now if the question was shop vs. home both being 8s, id go with the home built as most average people don't have the funds/knowledge to build an 8 second car
Old 09-03-2006, 12:51 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What defines "home built"? I'd say most of the cars you guys classify as "home built" aren't completely owner built, meaning the engine, trans, rear end, etc. was probably built elsewhere and installed by the owner. Not too hard IMO. Alot of guys don't tune their own stuff either. Bolting parts on doesn't impress me, its not that hard. I've done it, its hard work that takes time, but it doesn't require a college degree or anything. I'm impressed by fast cars period, I couldn't care less who assembled it. I've seen hack jobs from shops and individuals alike, and I've seen good craftsmanship from both too.

This is the first car I've had where I haven't done most of the work, and I've owned alot of cars. I no longer have the time to do it all, so I have shops do the work sometimes. I don't regret a thing. I bought a 12 bolt rear end from Billingsley racing. He installed it and the DS and TA for $300. It would have taken me 6 or 8 hours to do that. I can make much more than $300 in that amount of time, so finacially its smarter to have it done by a shop. My tranny guy R&R's my tranny for free, because he likes to set up the shift points and monitor everything while its in the car. You'd be a fool to pass up a free tranny R&R on an F body. I had FLP install my engine and blower, and make the ic piping, and tune it. I could have installed everything and brought the car to them to build piping and tune it, but again, in that amount of time I can make more than they charge, and I do not miss the headaches of building ****. Also, these guys do this **** every day, they are way less likely to **** something up, and if they do, they have to fix it.

I'm going to sound like a dick now, but I think people like to badmouth shop built cars because they are jealous that they couldn't afford to do it too. Its like how we all like to badmouth Vipers because we are faster, but deep down we'd love to have one too.

Like I said, these "owner built" cars are really just owner assembled, which IMO is the easy part. Building engines, trannys, rear ends, painting, etc. all require skill most don't possess, the few gearheads that can actually do all that, well they impress me. But, they also probably work in the automotive field.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Tenured Member

"Home built" without question! Anyone with money or good credit can drop a car off, wait for the phone call to pick-it-up, and then pay for it. There is nothing wrong with this at all. It just pisses me of when the person that writes the check grows a raging hard-on and gets cocky about their car.

"Home built" cars are paid for with hard earned money, blood, sweat, tears and the more often then not, cursing the world around them. It takes trial and error, research, time away from family, heavy drinking with friends in the garage, the occasional calling in sick to work because your parts came in, and constant dialing-in your car at the track. Not to mention a personal touch that can't be bought with money. Plus it's that much more rewarding when all you've invested pays off when it's runs a number that you hoped for.

When you pay a shop to build a car, aren't you just paying for an insured time slip?

Tim

Last edited by Timmy2Stage; 09-03-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:25 PM
8 Second Club

Home Built..... No Question about it.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Tenured Member

Originally Posted by camaroz99b
i barely have enought time to browse LS1Tech haha. GETTING OLD SUCKS!!!
Getting old? You've only been legally able to drive for 4 years
Old 09-03-2006, 01:46 PM
dug
Banned

I voted homebuilt. Its a pita working on a car without a lift. If a shop cant put together an 8 second car they shouldnt be in buisness.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Motorboater

homebuilt apples to apples. this poll isn't apples to apples really. because whoever said its not that hard to put an ls1 in the 11's, etc(even if it only does it twice before breaking something lol), is right. but ET vs ET, homebuilt is WAY more impressive.

people who argue otherwise don't work on their own cars much. when you talk to someone who had their **** built by a shop and argue with you on this subject, its pretty obvious talking to them they have no idea what you go through on a daily basis when you build your own car. the time, stress, aggrivation, and just general level of hard work can be tremendous.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Tenured Member

Back in the day, 6 years ago who put the first LS1 in the 10's? It sure wasn't any shop!!! Hacker Joe did it in his free time

Guys like myself and others who have built and tuned their own 8-9 second cars out of their own garage are highly skilled without a doubt. What do you think would happen if we had the resources that a reputable shop has?

Guys like us make it work using limited resources. It will always take alot of money, but that is a given.

Point being, it is more impressive to see a fast car built by someone who does it as a hobby in their spare time rather than doing it for a profession day after day.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:56 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy2Stage
"Home built" without question! Anyone with money or good credit can drop a car off, wait for the phone call to pick-it-up, and then pay for it. There is nothing wrong with this at all. It just pisses me of when the person that writes the check grows a raging hard-on and gets cocky about their car.

"Home built" cars are paid for with hard earned money, blood, sweat, tears and the more often then not, cursing the world around them. It takes trial and error, research, time away from family, heavy drinking with friends in the garage, the occasional calling in sick to work because your parts came in, and constant dialing-in your car at the track. Not to mention a personal touch that can't be bought with money. Plus it's that much more rewarding when all you've invested pays off when it's runs a number that you hoped for.

When you pay a shop to build a car, aren't you just paying for an insured time slip?

Tim

I couldn't give a **** who wrenched on who's car, I'd buy time slip insurance in a heartbeat! You think State Farm has that?

Also, shop built cars are payed for with the same hard earned money as home built cars, it isn't like every home built car is the underdog ya know. Shop cars vary as well, theres a difference between having a shop build you a motor because you don't have the skill or resources and a shop building a 9 second car for a 17 year old kid who's dad is cutting the check.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Tenured Member

Originally Posted by TS6
I couldn't give a **** who wrenched on who's car, I'd buy time slip insurance in a heartbeat! You think State Farm has that?

Also, shop built cars are payed for with the same hard earned money as home built cars, it isn't like every home built car is the underdog ya know. Shop cars vary as well, theres a difference between having a shop build you a motor because you don't have the skill or resources and a shop building a 9 second car for a 17 year old kid who's dad is cutting the check.

Clearly a home built car of equal Et and MPH is respected more.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

home built hands down... fast cars are impressive and do impress me... but a milder streetable home built car is very impressive.... just something about being able to say "I did this myself"
Old 09-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
i said shop because whether its shop built or done in your garage, 8 seconds is damn fast

now if the question was shop vs. home both being 8s, id go with the home built as most average people don't have the funds/knowledge to build an 8 second car
i 2nd that
Old 09-03-2006, 10:49 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

People get a little crazy about this subject! I have had both. I have installed my motors, trans, fuel systems,rear ends,nitrous kits, ect... I've also had Speed do heads, cam, motor r&r, install boost controller, fab up headers for turbo and cold side. The older I get the cheaper I get and do more of the work. I can't weld for ****, so I pay people to do that. I have no problem paying people to do things that can do a job better than I could. I moved out from my parents house when I was 16, been on my own ever since. Started my own business from scratch, never had ANYTHING handed to me.

It cracks me up when people get salty when people can afford to have work done for them. I do alot of my own work now because I'm getting cheap and if I have time I like working on my car. I don't feel like a super hero because I can. If you have a decent set of tools and a torque wrench it really isn't hard. The hardest thing to learn I think is tuning, that's a pain if you've never done it before. That's what I love Jim @ speed for! He's the master.

To sum it up, I say to each thier own. What ever makes them happy!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Motorboater

andy just hit alot of it on the head there. i do my own work because its what i've always done, for two reasons. when you are broke teenager and can bareliy afford the parts, you are willing to take the hard knocks to learn how to install **** yourself in your garage on jackstands with limited resources, and that's what i was when i started fuckign with this car.

now i could afford to pay someome but after all the years of relying on my boys at Speed for my parts and just building mysetups myself, i can't bring myself to do it, no matter how angry, upset, frustrated i get with the car sometimes. i can't handle the car not being in my garage, i get REALLY nervous when its anywhere else.

it also a safety thing for me. i won't take a highly modified car down the track that i didn't help build. anything in the 10's or faster i better know exactly how that car was built before i'll drive it. i've worked on quite a few cars that were built by shops and i found some really scary **** on them. stuff that could get people killed. when i'm wrenching, i don't worry about taking too much time to triple check ****, i don't have my mind on other stuff cuz i'm having a bad day, etc, etc. i know its done RIGHT.

its all about trust. Speed inc is the only shop i would ever let touch my car(and they have, Dan setup a couple of 9" pumpkins for me and Jim is the only person that every has tuned my car before timmy and i took it over this year) b/c i know those guys and they are very careful about what they do every day.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Home built:

I used to go to shops for everything I could barely change my oil. LOL Then I became friends with BigD. He saw how much I spent to get a motor rebuilt at a shop once and I guess felt sorry for me. He offered to help me on my car if I wanted. That was six years ago. Since then with help from him I have done basically all the work on my car, from building motors to tuning. Sometimes it is hard work and trying to find the time I wonder if it is worth it to work on the car myself. In the end though there is no greater personal satisfaction than doing the work myself and going down the track in a car I built. Running “the number” now is secondary. That is why I find home built cars more impressive. I realize all the hard work and time that went into them. Plus the money saved working on my own car allows be to have have other hobbies as well. Me and John used to do battle on who was faster back in the day, but I enjoy running in class racing now. I do have to say I haven't missed a season racing. Thanks,BigD
Gotta go, have to assemble the C5R Block today.

Last edited by BradWS6; 09-04-2006 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: What impresses you more??