Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

local drag strips

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb local drag strips

i just recently moved to chicago and really eager to find meets, and local racers in Chi-town. Anyone know of good drag strips in or close to
Chicago area? Where can I race my F-bird or where you goes go to? that live in Chicago?

---Ls1Ninja----
Old 06-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, WI
Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, IL
Byron Dragway in Byron, IL
U.S. 41 Dragway in Morocco, IN
Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Cool

im planning on going to byron dragway It's about 86 miles away.I'm trying to look for strips that are not too far. thanks for the post Matt D, im gonna see which i'll end up going to. Which places you or anyone gone to here and like going to?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Retired Street Racer

I live 2 minutes away from Route 66. It is the best of all of them but can get congested fairly quick and is $45 to test & tune. I usually run at U.S. 41 because it is only $20 to test & tune, and you can get more runs in, plus they have better events. But I still go to Route 66 since it is close. I have never been to the other two, but hear GLD is nice and Byron is okay, but not the greatest.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:44 PM

gld ???...
Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
gld ???...
Old 06-14-2007, 11:28 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

GLD & Byron, very short. Both are run much smoother than 66. The grove was better last time we went. Just becareful in pits. Lot's of rocks & holes. Byron gets pretty tight in pits.

66 has a lot of waiting & wasted time. My shop is like 11 minutes, and we don't go very often either.

41 is run by a moron. Kids love it, no tech, and lot's of betting & money racing. Asked us to come back and he would clean up the place & keep the track consistant. They did try, a little, but mainly in the wrong places. Still has way too many rocks & crap in the pits & on track.

Cordova has really improved a ton. ~3 hours so it's very far for most guys.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

GLD & Byron, very short. Both are run much smoother than 66. The grove was better last time we went. Just becareful in pits. Lot's of rocks & holes. Byron gets pretty tight in pits.

66 has a lot of waiting & wasted time. My shop is like 11 minutes, and we don't go very often either.

41 is run by a moron. Kids love it, no tech, and lot's of betting & money racing. Asked us to come back and he would clean up the place & keep the track consistant. They did try, a little, but mainly in the wrong places. Still has way too many rocks & crap in the pits & on track.

Cordova has really improved a ton. ~3 hours so it's very far for most guys.

Do you ever stop bitching?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

LS1 Ninja...come out friday night...Street Car Chaos at US41

Go to the tracks yourself....it's all subjective

Last edited by LS1BADZ; 06-15-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1BADZ
Do you ever stop bitching?

he's not bitching, last year i went to rt. 66 i got 2 runs in. 45 bucks, plus fuel, it was not that fun. the track is great, and the general building ect is very cool, but waiting 3 hours to get one run in was very dissappointing.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
he's not bitching, last year i went to rt. 66 i got 2 runs in. 45 bucks, plus fuel, it was not that fun. the track is great, and the general building ect is very cool, but waiting 3 hours to get one run in was very dissappointing.
I was talking about 41.......
Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

No biggie Spaz. Another yes man with blinders on. You're right, it's the best track in the history of the planet. I'm just another 13 sec guy with no knowledge or experience. I should not have given my opinion when asked a ?? about something I obviously know nothing about. Sorry my 6 pass' down a dragstrip are not good enough for you or denny. I guess you caught me. I'm obviously lying because 41 has never been anything but perfect everyday.

Oh by the way, we have a trip set for 41 in Jul, some friends are coming in to see the new motor. So you can see my 13 sec car. Maybe you can help me make my 7th pass without hurting myself. We really don't know what we're doing or anything about dragracing.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Retired Street Racer

Adam, John is right. 41 isn't in the greatest shape, and the people who are running it could do better. He was letting the guy know how it is, which isn't bullshit.

My complaints:

1.) The track is never consistant. One day it will be hooking great and the next it will be like they sprayed down oil not VHT.
2.) A LOT of rocks and **** on the return road, pits, and staging lanes. Plus, a few pot holes, but I have memorized where they are so I can defensivly drive around them.
3.)SOME of the staff. Not all, but some. Mainly the guys at the water box. The last two times I have been there, they would not put me in the water box right. I had to have one of my guys at the line to do it for them.

Good things:

1.) It's cheap. $20-25 to run there.
2.) Tech is easy. My car is NHRA legal to run all the way to 11.49, so it doesn't matter to me, but for the select few who aren't, they let you slide.
3.) They have events that are more geared towards us novice racers and not just pro racing. I.E. Street Car Chaos, more bracket races, two IMSM races, Outlaw Street with index racing, etc.

Every track is going to have their good and bad. If it just a regular T&T, I prefer to go to Rt 66 since it is 2 minutes from my house. Eventhough it is $45 to run, I would pay the difference between the two tracks in gas as 41 is 70 miles away, one way.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Right....but where are the rocks on the track he talks about? The track gets swept everyday...and to call Denny a moron? Come on...I sense some unresolved issues here...
Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Retired Street Racer

Right....but where are the rocks on the track he talks about? The track gets swept everyday...and to call Denny a moron? Come on...I sense some unresolved issues here...
Maybe a love triangle between you, Denny and John? I dunno.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Matt D
Maybe a love triangle between you, Denny and John? I dunno.
The Trifecta.....care to make it a quad?
Old 06-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Retired Street Racer

The Trifecta.....care to make it a quad?
Old 06-16-2007, 12:48 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Several issues. As do many many other people. If we do go, than we know what to expect. It's my choice to use their sevices, so I don't bitch about that. I even said they have been trying. I'm also not going to lie. I have never done anything but wish them well. We need more places to race, not less. I also own a small corporation, and the customer comes 1st, and their opinion counts. I am never rude, insulting or lie to them. Even when they're wrong or unreasonable. You listen & act professional, you're taking their money, and they are the customer. They are paying for my expertise, not my half *** effort.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

Several issues. As do many many other people. If we do go, than we know what to expect. It's my choice to use their sevices, so I don't bitch about that. I even said they have been trying. I'm also not going to lie. I have never done anything but wish them well. We need more places to race, not less. I also own a small corporation, and the customer comes 1st, and their opinion counts. I am never rude, insulting or lie to them. Even when they're wrong or unreasonable. You listen & act professional, you're taking their money, and they are the customer. They are paying for my expertise, not my half *** effort.

Why do you have to bring up your "corporation" or just talk about yourself in EVERY post you make?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:30 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

To qualify my opinion, so people will know I'm not another yes man, wanna be, and my opinion comes from doing, not reading or watching. I would not listen or take advice from just any jackass posting, unless I thought they actually had a clue. Sorry, didn't realize I was upsetting everyone. As the old saying goes about an argument between a genius & an idiot, you win. You obviously can help answer any ?? I could ever possibly know anyway. To everyone else, sorry to be rude, I get pissed when I'm not allowed to have an opinion.