Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
It was a worthless trip for me. I need to make some changes to the car for sure. My best pass of the night was a 13.2 @ 110.6 with a nice 2.3 60'. I was getting terrible wheel hop with Dave's 18" Z06 rims on my car. Once I got rolling the rear end starting hoping and on the 1-2 shift it would hop bad again. Sounded like the car was going to fall apart. The DA was over 1000' less than the last time I was there and my car was trapping 113 previously. I was hoping to trap at least 115 Saturday with the better air. I think the power is there as I was trapping around 5 mph faster than the bolt LS1's that were there but I need to get a lot better at launching the car.

If I can find a trailer for the last date of the year I am going for broke and slapping on Dave's Mickey's, LCA's, and torque arm to see what the car will do. If the rear end breaks it breaks. I have a backup 10 bolt I need to go pick up from Funk . Anyone who thinks they can get my car to 60' is more than welcome to give it a try! I was able to cut 2.0 60's on street tires with my LT1 M6 and my previous 99 Z M6. The SS must hate me.
Everybody's mph was down from last time. No worries, if you got a backup 10-bolt, might as well throw some suspension and DR's and give it a shot. Worst comes to worst you got the backup waiting for you.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ksths2
CFR put the hammer down on me.......Too fast w/ no cage. Dan (track tech guy) had me run several passes by myself to see if i could handle it... (I told him if i can handle my 8.20 1/4 mile 7" tire bike i think i can handle my car but whatever, not to mention i'm NHRA licensed to go that fast)
Anyway, the starting line would hold the big hit off the line so i had to squeeze the spray gently going down the track but it did run its usual 10.82 & 10.83 @ 128 so thats good i guess.
The tech guy said i couldn't run anymore 10's but he'd let me compete in the Dom vs Import shootout if i didn't run spray........hmmm thats a waste of time so i went home. Oh well, time for a 6 point.
Yea that is one sweet vette sounds nice runs good. Nice talking to ya at the end there. I was against putting a bar in my car too for the longest time then after getting talked to at most tracks I took the plunge and its not bad at all. I wish now in fact I would of got a cage.

I talked to many there that night and hearing from allot of people that the track prep there has been lacking as of late.

We were kinda bummed they never ran Import vs Domestic at the end. Nothing was said..
Old 10-12-2010, 01:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

CFR put the hammer down on me.......Too fast w/ no cage. Dan (track tech guy) had me run several passes by myself to see if i could handle it... (I told him if i can handle my 8.20 1/4 mile 7" tire bike i think i can handle my car but whatever, not to mention i'm NHRA licensed to go that fast)
Anyway, the starting line would hold the big hit off the line so i had to squeeze the spray gently going down the track but it did run its usual 10.82 & 10.83 @ 128 so thats good i guess.
The tech guy said i couldn't run anymore 10's but he'd let me compete in the Dom vs Import shootout if i didn't run spray........hmmm thats a waste of time so i went home. Oh well, time for a 6 point.
Hey nice vette you got there and quick too. I was the one with the white ramairws6. I wanted to come over and check your car out and chit chat but you know how that goes. Your car sounded real nice.......
Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

That sucks man. We were going to come and talk to you but for some reason we didn't make it over there.

It was a worthless trip for me. I need to make some changes to the car for sure. My best pass of the night was a 13.2 @ 110.6 with a nice 2.3 60'. I was getting terrible wheel hop with Dave's 18" Z06 rims on my car. Once I got rolling the rear end starting hoping and on the 1-2 shift it would hop bad again. Sounded like the car was going to fall apart. The DA was over 1000' less than the last time I was there and my car was trapping 113 previously. I was hoping to trap at least 115 Saturday with the better air. I think the power is there as I was trapping around 5 mph faster than the bolt LS1's that were there but I need to get a lot better at launching the car.

If I can find a trailer for the last date of the year I am going for broke and slapping on Dave's Mickey's, LCA's, and torque arm to see what the car will do. If the rear end breaks it breaks. I have a backup 10 bolt I need to go pick up from Funk . Anyone who thinks they can get my car to 60' is more than welcome to give it a try! I was able to cut 2.0 60's on street tires with my LT1 M6 and my previous 99 Z M6. The SS must hate me.
maybe you should look into getting those gears put it and my a panhard bar with some lca's, and if you got the cash a torque arm. thats what i'd do for my next few mods. lol im still trying to make the ms3 happen man, if it doesnt ill find a way to help you out trust me im good for it
Old 10-12-2010, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
I'm sure my LS7 Clutch is a lot easier to slip than your Monster Clutch, but mine does best when I ride out the clutch from about 4-5k rpm off the line. I've had many low 1.9 60's and a couple 1.89's on 18's with regular street tires. The 4.10's make it a lot easier to get out of the hole though. How do you like your Monster Clutch, does it have a pretty stiff pedal?
I like the clutch quite a bit. It grabs hard and takes a beating. Like Dave said, slipping this clutch is pretty hard to do. With the Tick master it engages almost all the way at the top of the pedal travel. I am still not used to it quite yet.

I plan on getting the 4.10's installed over the winter. Did you pick up a decent amount with them? I was debating on whether or not to install them in fear of breaking the rear, but like I mentioned earlier I have a backup. We will see though. I would really like to see what my car would do on a sub 2.0 60', without any wheel hop, and flawless shifting, ha. I might try again before the end of the year.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Hey Speedo & Ramairws6 - yeah i really liked your cars as well, after Speedo told me what your car will run w/ slicks......wow! that thing would eat my car alive! lol - Same here on the Dom vs. Imp shootout...... that was the whole reason i was there! - Wolfe CM 6 point w/ dual swingout bars is on its way so that won't be an issue anymore

Did anyone see what ended up happening to the black camaro that broke the rear end and then while pushing it back they forgot about the door they rammed it into the wall by the staging lanes, scared the hell out of me as i was about 2 feet away from it..... i can only imagine how the alignment is on the door and gaps etc.........wow
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you put a cage in your C5 see if you can get it setup with some way to swing out or remove the bars for the doors. I drove one without the removable bar and it was uncomfortable on certain parts of the anatomy to get into and out of

Beautiful car Ram Air WS6. Makes me miss my old '96 white WS6.

Last edited by 99C5JA; 10-12-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Speedo & Ramairws6 - yeah i really liked your cars as well, after Speedo told me what your car will run w/ slicks......wow! that thing would eat my car alive! lol - Same here on the Dom vs. Imp shootout...... that was the whole reason i was there! - Wolfe CM 6 point w/ dual swingout bars is on its way so that won't be an issue anymore

Did anyone see what ended up happening to the black camaro that broke the rear end and then while pushing it back they forgot about the door they rammed it into the wall by the staging lanes, scared the hell out of me as i was about 2 feet away from it..... i can only imagine how the alignment is on the door and gaps etc.........wow

Yea I was telling our friend about the whole dom vs import and he actually won last time, it was a Rx7 on a ton of spray. He was there Friday night to bad he wasn't Sat. night.

I didn't see it getting pushed back but it was sitting there all night he came in the am to pick it up.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did anyone see what ended up happening to the black camaro that broke the rear end and then while pushing it back they forgot about the door they rammed it into the wall by the staging lanes, scared the hell out of me as i was about 2 feet away from it..... i can only imagine how the alignment is on the door and gaps etc.........wow[/QUOTE]

It was actually a WS6, I was in the staging lane close to the front watching a few guys push it on the fiberglass hood thinking to myself that can't be the best way to get it off the track when KABOOOOOOM!!!!!!
Talk about adding insult to injury..

I wish I would have gotten to see your vette that white ws6 and speedos up close.. all ran amazing times!
Your vette sounded NASSSSTY!!!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah i got my *** handed to me by that same white RX7 lol the last shootout, i got runner up........aka 1st looser

Whoops! your right conor it was a WS6 (my bad) yeah i couldn't believe that when it hit the wall with the door....... anyone know who it was? As in, is he on the forums?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Gah,.. Wish I would have made it...

Oh well at least my car is together and almost ready for the first test fire! Got to delete the VATS off of the PCM and do a little bit of tuning for my injectors..
Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

I have a backup 10 bolt I need to go pick up from Funk

You even have a new Blazer to pick it up in.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone have a stock y pipe laying around?

I'm having an intermittent problem with my Formula & looking for different things to eliminate. I had codes P0137 & P0157, I cleared the codes, swapped out o2 sensors & drove it, it ran great, thought I was good to go.

The next time I drove it, problem is back/some times, the car kind of cuts out/loses power around 2500 rpms, under gradual acceleration. When it is running shitty, it also pulls timing under normal acceleration. Lean condition? There are not any exhaust leaks near the o2 sensors.

I put a new fuel filter in, old one looked good, so I knew I wasn't solving anything with that, but $7 for piece of mind. I've also cleaned the maf, I do have a brand new one sitting here that I could try too.

I'm going to remove/reinstall all the plugs & wires this weekend, they were new when I bought it...I bought another LS1 car with a plug wire not on, it did some weird stuff.

Also I'm checking fuel pressure...Bad pump?

If anyone has thought or a y pipe, let me know. Also, I'm looking for a stock lower air box assembly...I hate the K&N cold air kit.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Unstang

I'm having an intermittent problem with my Formula & looking for different things to eliminate. I had codes P0137 & P0157, I cleared the codes, swapped out o2 sensors & drove it, it ran great, thought I was good to go.

The next time I drove it, problem is back/some times, the car kind of cuts out/loses power around 2500 rpms, under gradual acceleration. When it is running shitty, it also pulls timing under normal acceleration. Lean condition? There are not any exhaust leaks near the o2 sensors.

I put a new fuel filter in, old one looked good, so I knew I wasn't solving anything with that, but $7 for piece of mind. I've also cleaned the maf, I do have a brand new one sitting here that I could try too.

I'm going to remove/reinstall all the plugs & wires this weekend, they were new when I bought it...I bought another LS1 car with a plug wire not on, it did some weird stuff.

Also I'm checking fuel pressure...Bad pump?

If anyone has thought or a y pipe, let me know. Also, I'm looking for a stock lower air box assembly...I hate the K&N cold air kit.

Thanks!!!
JASON I SHOULD HAVE ONE OVER AT MY BUDDIES SHOP, NORMALLY ID SAVE ID BE FREE BUT FOR YOU 678.65 IS ALL YOU HAVE TO PAY.... no but ill go look and see if he still has it. you can just have it im sure its just laying there
Old 10-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Unstang

I'm going to remove/reinstall all the plugs & wires this weekend, they were new when I bought it...I bought another LS1 car with a plug wire not on, it did some weird stuff, so maybe a bad plug, wire or 1 isn't on all the way.

Also I'm checking the fuel pressure tomorrow...Bad pump?

Of all the stuff I can think of, I'm not sure which ones would throw those 2 codes...

Thanks!!!
Jason I have one you can have but you have to come to Ankeny to get it.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so i forgot to ask how was your guys little track day? andy said it sucked
Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone going to be at CFR tomorrow?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 35thLE
Jason I have one you can have but you have to come to Ankeny to get it.
Where do you live? I am in Ankeny and I will deliver it to Jason. He better have a beer for me!

Last edited by RedRocketZ28; 10-17-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KW4life06
Anyone going to be at CFR tomorrow?
Im planning on being there.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where do you live? I am in Ankeny and I will deliver it to Jason. He better have a beer for me!

BTW...im drunk
I'm still waiting...

I'm pretty sure it isn't a fuel pump situation, I checked it @ idle, it was good. I think if it was a bad pump, it would do it @ higher RPMs than it does & do it all the time.

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?