Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im up for anything guys like i said just give me a holler. So went to the hallowild races yesterday............ yeah i need to replace the 2.73's because 2.20 60' sucks big hairy *****. was trapping 105/106 at 13.4 with the stock stall. Plus i need to go get my car dyno tuned and reset my rocker arms think i got a few just a little to tight. So are there any good dyno tuning shops here in iowa?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a guy with a mustang dyno here in DSM but he cant tune and the dyno well...isnt the best. My trans am was rated at like 280ish (after full exhaust, tune up ect) so i think it was just a tad...off.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
Getting a few of the Iowa guys together for a BBQ would be awesome! Maybe Dave and M6WS6, unstang, etc could make it also!
IT was literally the one weekend I couldnt make it to the header install. Anyother weekend plus or minus 4 weeks it would have worked! Ill get down there yet!

Bike is already set up for drag racing, been down the track a few times with it already, just need to find a place to go drag this late in the year. I missed a few sessions because of a burnt clutch and the wrong fibers comming in the first time.

Im anxious to see some of these cars I hear about, guys should post some pictures up!

Been busy, havent gotten to do much besides my internship and school work yet.

Was home this weekend, took my car out, boy do I miss not having it at my hand. Dad was working on his harley an I had to go get some things for him, came back and did a nice burnout infront of the house to **** off a bit, damn I miss that thing!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

what guy is that down in DSM?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Um its a machine shop on the east side - I have to look it up to get you the number. I think he runs rally cars and dragsters (his shop was "extended" to fit a dragster in it forthe dyno). The only thing is that you are the dyno operator, he runs the computer and you press on the gas.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found it, its midstate machine or what not. However, if you want to put off for a while i heard WS6store is looking to expand with a dyno and tuning services in DSM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lund Motors in Waukee has a dyno now too...Midstate Machine has a Mustang dyno & they do not offer any tuning.

Good to hear you guys got the headers done.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shinigami2x4
I found it, its midstate machine or what not. However, if you want to put off for a while i heard WS6store is looking to expand with a dyno and tuning services in DSM.
Ive got a block at home ready for them to resleeve for me......427.......mmmmmmmm

Most of you pry dont know that story. When I test drove my car, it had a knock so I told them to fix it since it was still under warrenty. Spun cam bearing from the shitty oil pump (1998-2000). Installed a new long block for free all covered by warrenty.
7k miles later the car died on me. Wouldnt run worht **** and was thinking a sensor since it was so irregular/random. Found no compression #7. I had borla exhaust and they said it must have been racing to f**K ut up, Screwed me out of my warrenty on the new motor. Brought it home, took intake and driver side head off to find a cracked bore, piston rocked inside the bore, beat up head. Looked further to find a 1.25 inch long bolt in my exhaust before it goes over the rear end!!!!
Showed this to them and they said I couldnt prove they left the bolt in there, but gave me 25% discount on new motor. I didnt want them touching it and said screw it. Bought shortblock out of Lingenfelter, and pieced the rest together myself. I wasnt going to get **** for the core charge, so I kept it for later.

Will start a 427 hopefully sometime. Thought about a turbo setup instead, but I like the all motor idea!
Hence my long *** story leads me to Midstate machine to resleeve my poor poor poor block..
Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks to hear, its always crappy when they blame it due to some off the chart problem. However i have heard of people putting F bodys back to stock to get warrenty work done then redoing the work again (it usually amounts to over 2k with of parts covered by warrenty). The people that work there seem real nice, seem like they do quality work. When i was there, they had 10 or so 383 cranks and a couple 427. They had a huge supply of 346-351 cranks though.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Launching!

I have never had a problem with them before, and my dad knows the owner pretty well. It was his guys that screwed me and he felt horrible, but at that point there was nothing he could do anymore. He gave me 1k out of his own pocket because he felt bad (1k is better than nothing, but doesnt put a huge dent in the motor I installed). I built a 500 hP motor for just more than the 25% discount he was going to give me, and my motor included the headers, clutch, and a new intake with it as well. Better deal to do it all myself, and a good experience, just hurts a high school student/freshman in college financial book......
Old 10-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

I really wish I would have found this post a few days ago. I was sitting in my garage last saturday working on an old beater truck. I'd rather be putting headers on an F-body. We need a get together, be it in ames or des moines, I'm up for it. I'm always up for helping others with their projects. Some of you guys have seen / met me, but I'm always up for meeting some other f-body guys. Someone needs to setup another mod day, or at least a dinner get together or something. I'm a 22 year old guy out of Johnston with a poorly running WS6 I used to wrench for a living for over 4 years in GM dealers, so if you guys need help, call me or PM me. (515-240-0268) Nate.

Rodney, I can't believe you came to des moines and didn't call me.... bastard
Old 10-29-2007, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

sorry bro! LOL. I couldnt remember if you lived in des moines or dubuque
Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M6WS6
Hence my long *** story leads me to Midstate machine to resleeve my poor poor poor block..
You might want to find someone else to do that...
Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I take it bad experiance unstang? I havent had anything done by them so i wouldnt now how they work/charge. Just the little dyno for something like 50 dollers for 3 pulls.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Unstang
You might want to find someone else to do that...
had or know of a bad experience?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking about lund. the last time i looked at midstate was getting my heads done but just bought some trick flows instead. i think ill give lund a call and see how much everything is going to be. otherwise im road tripping to speed inc to get my crap done.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M6WS6
had or know of a bad experience?
Only what I have seen happen on that dyno & to a BUNCH of guys that had machine work done there. I'd be surprised as heck to see if they have done any LSx builds any way.

Originally Posted by daves94formula
I was thinking about lund. the last time i looked at midstate was getting my heads done but just bought some trick flows instead. i think ill give lund a call and see how much everything is going to be. otherwise im road tripping to speed inc to get my crap done.
Speed Inc is your best bet if you need tuning done. Lunds don't tune Fbodies & I think they are limited @ tuning Ford stuff.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

lund cost 100 to get ur dyno numbers. they started a couple months ago so i dunno if they r the best at tuning. Smoked a nice 04 red GTO it had full bolt ons, 3000 stall, a 200 shot that he couldnt get to spray up here in Ames last night. it was an a4 and i beat him by a good 6 cars atleast. He used to have a black EVo but he got rid of it. anybody ever race this guy b4?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V8bamf
Smoked a nice 04 red GTO it had full bolt ons, 3000 stall, a 200 shot that he couldnt get to spray up here in Ames last night. it was an a4 and i beat him by a good 6 cars atleast. He used to have a black EVo but he got rid of it. anybody ever race this guy b4?

Nice kill! I've never seen that car around...
Old 10-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V8bamf
lund cost 100 to get ur dyno numbers. they started a couple months ago so i dunno if they r the best at tuning. Smoked a nice 04 red GTO it had full bolt ons, 3000 stall, a 200 shot that he couldnt get to spray up here in Ames last night. it was an a4 and i beat him by a good 6 cars atleast. He used to have a black EVo but he got rid of it. anybody ever race this guy b4?
have chrome wheels, lowered, aftermarket front bumper? If so I looked at it at George White. Mid length headers, hot cam, and some cheap ls6 ported heads. He was more for show than go. Not even sure if we are talking about the same car, but sounds like it. You have heads, cam, intake on yours? Cuz if not Im guessing he had no clue how to drive it since it was on their lot 2 weeks ago, Good kill tho no matter how you look at it tho! Should drop that car off by me sometime so I can have a looky look

Last edited by M6WS6; 10-30-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?