Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Northsiders... paint guy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Default Northsiders... paint guy?

I'm in the market for a touch-up guy, and also a body shop that can do small jobs. I know a great shop in Bolingbrook but for small stuff I don't want to drive around. I'm looking for a reccomendation of someobody who is not an idiot and who doesn't double the price when you show up to pay for it, because I know a idiot like that already on Belmont.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do it for ya but we are to far apart.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also need to find someone to do some touch up work along with some paintless dent removel which is more important then the few nicks I have although I have a few id like to get touched up/rid of if possible
Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

Hey John, I think that my guy from Carnica may be available now for some work. What are you looking to have done? I'll ask him.

Mark
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

just take it to tuff!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Launching!

lol, please john, stay away from carnica, they are horrid!!! If you arent to far from waukegan, my dad owns Affordable Collision, been in business for 30 years good prices, excellent work, i actually paint there, let me know if i can help you, and again if not me stay away from carnica
Old 02-14-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ScreaminBird99
lol, please john, stay away from carnica, they are horrid!!! If you arent to far from waukegan, my dad owns Affordable Collision, been in business for 30 years good prices, excellent work, i actually paint there, let me know if i can help you, and again if not me stay away from carnica
I am not referring anyone to Carnica, I am referring people to my guy that happens to work at Carnica and does work for me on the side...people on here including John that know my car, have seen first hand the work that he does and it speaks for itself.
I would never refer anyone to a multi chain touch up and detail place. Anyone can do that.
Mark
Old 02-15-2008, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be interested to know a local guy that does good work as well. I haven't had a good experience thus far with any body shops.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Crap, I was hoping Jimmy P would have a guy.

Mark I'd like to have our MDX touched up at some point, does your guy drive around or does the ride need to be dropped off somewhere? That would be a good place to start.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Mark I'd like to have our MDX touched up at some point, does your guy drive around or does the ride need to be dropped off somewhere? That would be a good place to start.
John,

I think Glen mostly works out of the Benz dealer where Mark is a tech. But I've also seen him at the Carnica shop on Oakton in Des Plaines. He'd probably do your stuff out of the Carnica shop, since it's not being done through the Benz dealer.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

John, the main thing about touch up is where the car gets painted at. When he did my car at the dealer, he has an area set up where the dust is minimized and is as clean as it gets without having a paint booth. So that's the main thing, you really need to have at least a garage where the work can be done and then you have to consider that depending on what he is touching up, i.e. if he is painting the whole bumper, then there will be paint sprayed everywhere. That is why I recommend doing it at the dealer or at the Carnica shop.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Launching!

thats why real painters take bumpers off, there not cheap and try to paint things still attached that shouldnt be, if you want something painted right you pay for it, or you pay $75 to carnica and have a shitty job.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

thats why real painters take bumpers off, there not cheap and try to paint things still attached that shouldnt be, if you want something painted right you pay for it, or you pay $75 to carnica and have a shitty job.
Where the hell are you getting your info about a local guy that you don't even know? Please stop trying to build yourself up by tearing down people you've never met.

I'll tell you right now, I've seen this guy's work, it's TOP NOTCH. Don't beleive me? You don't need to. We've had cars that he's worked on in professional points-judged car shows. Guess what... they score great in the paint category.

Again, we are recommending a particular individual that does great work, not the shop that he works for.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Oops

We're not doing a frame-off, but rather just touching up some minor wear/damage on a daily driver here. We have $100K cars here having their bumpers and such touched up all day long. This is the accepted way to have this type of work done. No one needs to pay to have bumpers removed, and no one needs a 10 coat paint job on a daily driver.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of repainting my front bumper because of all the rock chips from driving around. What would it roughly cost? Ballpark figure?

Hey Mark, car still looking good.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Mark's car came out very nice so I'm definitely interested in using his friend at some point.

I wouldn't mind have a painless dent day either, our MDX has small crease in a door.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I'm thinking of repainting my front bumper because of all the rock chips from driving around. What would it roughly cost? Ballpark figure?

Hey Mark, car still looking good.
Thanks for the compliments.

The price would all depend on how much filling in of rock chips needs to be done, also the color, but solid black like your car is not expensive. I know that he sanded down and repainted my front bumper cover in Bright Red which is very expensive for a solid color and it was around $400ish. IIRC

Here's the catch to any touch up work though, it's all about blending the paint into the fenders and the hood. Glen and I got really lucky with not having to blend my bumper into the fenders and hood, but that was really lucky. If you have to blend it then it gets more complicated and I'm sure more expensive.
Mark
Old 02-16-2008, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Would also like to meet this Glen guy.. Got a few spots on the car that need some attention... Too bad funds are a little short. Dang ole mods man...

Let me know, or just wait and I can catch up on that stuff when the weather breaks.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

I'm down near Orland Park and need my front bumper painted, the mouth inside the bumper needs to be fixed because the idiot previous owner drilled holes in it trying to install a billet grill. I also need some spots touched up on the car and am looking to have a fiberglass hood painted sometime in the not so near future. If anyone knows guys who do good work and are reasonably priced, i would love some recommendations.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a guy that does awesome work in West Chicago, let me know if you are interested.