Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Ok heres my public apology to speed inc

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok heres my public apology to speed inc

Ok well as it turns out after days and days messing with it and trying to figurte out what was wrong.. but speed inc was right there was something wrong with the car that day... it turned out that there really was a noise comming from the valve train.. the shop that put the motor together over tightened 2 of the rocker arm bolts when putting it together cracking the studs about a 1/4 of an inch down... well the noise was the rocker comming loose on the dyno and it must have broke off on the dyno causeing none of us to hear it.. 1 on each head!.. so i did what they told me to do took it back and made him check his work.. well he apparnetly gave me some bullshit numbers and told me everything was ok to get they car outa his hands because it was still not making power so finally i took it somewhere else and had it done again while the cam was in right his compression test came up with 2 cylinders not right at all.. so he pulled the valve covers off to start taking it apart and low and behold there was the rocker arm just laying in the head... so now the motor need to come back out and the heads have to be gone threw...again! so to Larry and all the guys over at Speed Inc. im sorry for what i said about your shop and service and now realize you were only looking out for me.. this was kinda a first time for me as this is my first car that im doing this stuff to so i didnt know what was really all going on.. so like i said i would do im appoligizing for being wrong and saying stupid **** and now that the car is at a more performance oriented shop i hope to have better results when it all back together and tuned..
Old 03-18-2008, 06:21 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Nicely done!

ADMIN
Old 03-18-2008, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the nicely done appology!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litle88
+1 on the nicely done appology!
X2... Nicely done
Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Launching!

takes a man to admit to other guys he was wrong, way to go!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd be checking the cam too, those lobes could be screwed....
Old 03-18-2008, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True that!

HE got really lucky!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
The cam should be ok. The rocker broke clean off and was laying out of the way. The valvetrain noise was probably the rocker chewing up the little baffle under the valvecovers.

http://www.finalroundperformance.com.../MidgetMac.jpg(This was just after the valvecover was pulled. We didn't touch the rocker until I got the photos)

You can see it roughed up the tip of the valve too. Anyways, however the douchebag tightened the rocker bolts they WON'T come out. We were thinking he red locktited it or something. It broke two easy outs and didn't budge.

They guy that originally put the motor in told Eric last night that Speed probably took a valvecover off and sabotaged it while it was on the dyno. Because he doesn't want to warranty his work.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminBird99
takes a man to admit to other guys he was wrong, way to go!
Absolutely!!
He could have easily not said anything and hoped it wasn't brought up again but he went out of his way to make things right. You just earned my respect.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Nice job brother, its hard to admit when your wrong. As being shown by the BS mechanic that did your work.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
Absolutely!!
He could have easily not said anything and hoped it wasn't brought up again but he went out of his way to make things right. You just earned my respect.
well at first i wasnt going to i kinda just wanted it all to go away.. but then i thought what if the situation was reversed so i did what should have been done and just appoligized.. and if they or anyone else that was offended by what was said chooses not to accept it thats their choice and i wont hold anythign against them
Old 03-18-2008, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
Everything is getting check... that motors comming out of that car and being torn back down to the short block to make sure nothing else is damaged, being that i cant trust the work done by the first guy seeing as that he has has other things not tighten properly too and then will be properly put back together by the shop that has it now..
Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
9 Second Club

Glad to hear you figured it out, explains why it was so down on power.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 PM

glad to see there are still people out there willing to swallow their pride and admit fault.

nicely done!

good luck with the car
Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ONEBADWS6
Glad to hear you figured it out, explains why it was so down on power.
im just glad i decided not to trust that guys word that everything was ok and have a differnt shop tear into it before i strapped it onto a dyno again
Old 03-18-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I applaud you. Its always a great thing when I man can admit fault and try and make it right. Good luck with the new build and I hope it works out for you.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b00sted
They guy that originally put the motor in told Eric last night that Speed probably took a valvecover off and sabotaged it while it was on the dyno. Because he doesn't want to warranty his work.

What shop in their right mind would do that? What an idiot.

EHat911, a buddy of mine has a fully build single turbo Supra.

Had a shop in the Chicago area build and tune the car. He brought it back to Indy and had the oil pump go (seal blew). They said there was a local Indy shop that owed them a favor and they would do the work. Well, when shops are doing stuff for free it sometimes takes them a few months to get around to doing the work.....

They had some kid do the work that had just graduated from a local automotive tech school.......

Lets just say a few days later that pumps seal blew also (mounts over the crank hub so you have to be carefull not to cut the seal).

Him and I and an ASE tech buddy pulled it out and replaced the pump. A few days after that he said the car got really laggy and lots lots of power.

You could grap the turbo impeller and move it around!!!!!!!!

Pulled the engine AGAIN and pulled the cam cover and the cams got HOT!

Pulled them and there was some damage in the cam journals.

He did not want to pull the engine apart becaus ethe head bolts are one time use only and are very pricey. I talked him into it and guess what, some bolts in the bottom end area were finger tight, there was brass in the oil, main caps were WAY to tight and not evenley torqued, crank was bent so bad you could see it with the naked eye.

He got the head fixed, sold the turbo and cams, got a crank for free from the shop that first built the motor (guess the last shop pulled it apart to check for damage) and is ging to be making even more power now and we are going to build it the right way.

Its very hard to find people that do good work, there is only two people that I would trust to build my motor around here and probably one local shop, thats how pickey I am

I am glad to see you maned up and glad to see Speed is trying to help you out.

I would take the guy to court if I was you for damages and have speed document everything. Or if he refuses to pay for it report him to the BBB.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Didn't you take it to "Not Just Cars"?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Didn't you take it to "Not Just Cars"?
Yep. Not Just Carz it's called.

The only reason he did the work to begin with was because it was a warranty job(original motor spun a bearing). Then Eric just bought the other stuff and paid the additional labor to get it installed while the motor was out.

I guess the only good thing about all this is the motor technically made the power it did on only 6 cylinders.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by b00sted
Yep. Not Just Carz it's called.

The only reason he did the work to begin with was because it was a warranty job(original motor spun a bearing). Then Eric just bought the other stuff and paid the additional labor to get it installed while the motor was out.

I guess the only good thing about all this is the motor technically made the power it did on only 6 cylinders.
So Boosted do you have anything to say about all the comments you had for the guys at Speed?

Quick Reply: Ok heres my public apology to speed inc