Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Chicago = Nations Highest Gas Prices!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008 | 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Chicago = Nations Highest Gas Prices!

chicago = highest prices.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...82646&src=news

Exxon reports $10 billion profit in quarter 1, overhead cost already satisfied
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OpQ5wmkxM...tTzd8E&index=0

as stated in the video, THE EARTH IS NOT RUNNING OUT OF OIL...

so why are prices so high? these are my thoughts

-exxon and other gas companies greed

-government gives tax breaks and tax monies to gas companies (our tax goes up)

-out of date out of technology refineries

-marketing gimmicks as scare tactics. Oil companies realize if they can sensationalize and scare the masses into believing there is an oil crisis. It then becomes a legitimate excuse to raise the cost. People have to buy gas to get by in life, so people naturally adjust and go with it. yeah the masses bitch alittle but do nothing about it. That is the weakness of the masses and the oil companies/government exploit that!

-sensitizing the masses: raise gas 30 cents, people bitch, lower gas 10 cents. People quit bitching, however gas is still 20 cents higher then the original cost. Repeat this process over, over and over.

-the demanding plan, for back up oil stock-aid supplies.

I have 3 cars and two suck up gas fast! lol
Old 05-21-2008 | 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

at least you have 1 car that doesn't chug gas. my camaro is my only car so my wallet is feelin it, especially working at a job that doesn't pay enough and is cutting hours on a regular basis. . but yea gas prices in the chicago area are ridiculous . feel real sorry for all of you who live and have to fill up downtown.
Old 05-21-2008 | 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

ya i saw this a few days ago! i live kinda out in the country here and im still paying about 4.10 or more a gallon
Old 05-21-2008 | 09:34 PM
Banned

Its a double edged sword

higher fuel price goes, more toyota hybrids go on the street. Which could affect oil demand at some point.

I can count a handfull of race car owners sitting out events due to travel expenses.

Was reading a top fuel dragster team said their expenses went up $200,000 this year alone.

Higher oil goes, exploration goes up which could lead to steadying oil prices over next many years. Alternative fuel technology investment goes up likewise.

If the US slowed oil dependence by a few %, China has nearly doubled its oil usage.
Old 05-21-2008 | 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Saw this on the NBC Nightly News the other night...

Right now the current average is $3.79 a gallon
One year ago it was $3.17 a gallon
The price of a gallon in the UK is $8.28
The price of a gallon in The Netherlands is $9.52
The price of a gallon in Russia is $3.06
And poor Saudi Arabia pays $.45 a gallon! (yes, I said 45 cents!!!)
Old 05-22-2008 | 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Venezuela's looking at about 12 cents a gallon. Pretty sick.
Old 05-22-2008 | 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS184
ya i saw this a few days ago! i live kinda out in the country here and im still paying about 4.10 or more a gallon
X2 I live in Marengo and I just payed 425 or 430 for premium but yet 10miles down the road its 405 for premium
Old 05-22-2008 | 11:54 PM
Banned

Has the price of E85 gone up along with gas prices? If so.. why?
Old 05-23-2008 | 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
Has the price of E85 gone up along with gas prices? If so.. why?
Cant answer why but I think its gone up quite a but from when it first made an apperance at my local gas station but im not sure how much is a increase
Old 05-23-2008 | 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love posts like this. Here goes...

Originally Posted by ibanez7
so why are prices so high? these are my thoughts

-exxon and other gas companies greed
How is it greed from oil companies when their margin is 8% (they make 8 cents on the dollar). Is it their fault that their sales volumn (world demand) is at an all-time high?

-government gives tax breaks and tax monies to gas companies (our tax goes up)
Government makes more money on each gallon of gas sold than the oil companies do. They are the problem for this.

[QUOTE=ibanez7;9409274]
-out of date out of technology refineries
True - conservationalists are the reason for this, as oil companies WANT to build more refineries (and update the current old ones, making them more efficient).

-marketing gimmicks as scare tactics. Oil companies realize if they can sensationalize and scare the masses into believing there is an oil crisis. It then becomes a legitimate excuse to raise the cost. People have to buy gas to get by in life, so people naturally adjust and go with it. yeah the masses bitch alittle but do nothing about it. That is the weakness of the masses and the oil companies/government exploit that!
Government exploits this. Oil companies are just doing their job. They are producing the supply as fast as they can, but India and China have booming economies, and their demand is rising faster than a fat woman's cholesterol.

-sensitizing the masses: raise gas 30 cents, people bitch, lower gas 10 cents. People quit bitching, however gas is still 20 cents higher then the original cost. Repeat this process over, over and over.
This is just part of the flow of the market. Unfortunately, we haven't see to many price drops recently...

-the demanding plan, for back up oil stock-aid supplies.
Unfortunately, even without contributing to our "top secret oil storage," India and China's increasing demand will keep pricing high. That really isn't the cause for all this.

I have 3 cars and two suck up gas fast! lol
Sadly, all 3 of my vehicles chug fuel...
Old 05-23-2008 | 03:47 PM
9 Second Club

I was thinking since the prices of gas is ridiculous maybe I should get rid of the ls1 and the Benz and purchase a big wheel?
Old 05-23-2008 | 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quadd2244
Cant answer why but I think its gone up quite a but from when it first made an apperance at my local gas station but im not sure how much is a increase
E85 has gone up because of a handshake agreement between the farmers and oil companies to stay competitive.. and screw the public at the same time.
Old 05-23-2008 | 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
I was thinking since the prices of gas is ridiculous maybe I should get rid of the ls1 and the Benz and purchase a big wheel?
I don't know man, a big wheel sounds like a lot of work. Personally, I have an eye on one of the electric golf carts out back that our Foremen use on larger job sites...
Old 05-29-2008 | 12:17 PM
On The Tree

the worst part is that theirs no end in sight really.
Old 05-29-2008 | 06:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28matt
the worst part is that theirs no end in sight really.
actually there is.. our own demand has fallen off, simply because people aren't driving as much. But, if the dollar keeps dropping, then it may continue to go up.. but worldwide demand did explode, and opec is increasing production to meet it. It won't likely go down, but I don't think it will get too much higher.

A locking gas cap would be a wise investment though, since if it does get any higher, more people will have to choose between gas and food.. and if people can't buy something they need to survive, they will steal it.
Old 05-30-2008 | 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

I am hoping e-85 really takes off. A fuel that is produced here in the states,and for us racers is 110 octane. You cant beat that.
Old 05-30-2008 | 03:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

E85 has a 0.51 subsidy from the government. (I think that is what it is, could be off a few pennies). Corn based e85 has a bigger carbon footprint than regular gas. 30% of this years PROJECTED corn crop is slated for e85. It's been wet and not so much corn has been planted. Translate this to feed and food.

Illinois is one of the ONLY states with a % gas tax. The higher gas goes, the more the state collects.

Gas cannot follow the typical supply and price axis. Supply is constrained. Even with a gas tax holiday, gas will go right back in price to where it is, and there will not be $$ to fix the crap roads we have.

The oil companies as stated get 0.08 per gallon. The government gets far more than that.

Gas in inflation adjusted $$ is similar to the mid 70s.

It sucks, I drive less, but whatcha gonna do?

Quick Reply: Chicago = Nations Highest Gas Prices!