Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Anyone want to rent me some slicks and skinnies this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone want to rent me some slicks and skinnies this weekend?

So I am looking to do a few passes this weekend, and would like to try a set of slicks and skinnies. I am hoping to bust my bosses ***, and can use all the help I can get. I am willing to pay for the 3/4 of a mile that I would use them for. Let me know. If anyone has a set that they would let me borrow hit me up, or if they are for sale at the right price we might be able to work something out.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Movin up to racecar status!!!! JK Did you decide if your going to Byron yet or another place?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

Gonna be byron if the weather cooperates.

I am a litte worried, my bosses car has complete 4 link and is set up for a launch, plus its a big block, so I would be playing catchup.... UGH. A mutual friend said that it spun the bead on the the radials launching on the street sunday.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the car hooks ok on the nitto, i'd look for some skinnies only. my rule of thumb is never change tires for a race that matters without some testing first. if you don't have enough converter and/or gear for a slick it might hurt you compared to the nittos, or even worst toast the 10 bolt in front of your boss
Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
if the car hooks ok on the nitto, i'd look for some skinnies only. my rule of thumb is never change tires for a race that matters without some testing first. if you don't have enough converter and/or gear for a slick it might hurt you compared to the nittos, or even worst toast the 10 bolt in front of your boss
Yeah toasting the 10bolt in front of the boss will suck LOL id hate to go to work on monday. Do you think that 275-40-17 Nittos will hook up with a 4000stall and over 400rwhp?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Motorboater

I was able to 1.7 those exact tires quadd back in 2004 with my m6 and 400+ rwhp, might have done better if I tried more than two passes LOL but I always wanted to be on slicks at the track those were my street tires. Suspension and weight play a big role on a radial. My car has always had good drag oriented suspension and a decent raceweight.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Keep in mind that if you want to run a Prostar or a Draglite or really any other race wheel, you will either need spacers or grinding of the calipers to make them fit, and on top of that you will need longer studs for the wheels esp if you run spacers!!!!

You really don't need them though, on a BFG or a MT Drag Radial you can get down into the 1.6 for a 60' with no prob, it is all just about the combo on the car. You shouldn't have an issue with the rear end being an A4 car but also don't really need a slick. Skinnies would be nice for the trap speed and weight and give you a good chance of puling the tires a bit but the caliper grinding is a bitch. It's a time consuming process with alot of trial and error before they fully clear. I am basing all this on personal experience on Alex's car. We spend quite some time on it. But back in the more so stock days with a TR224 LS6 heads on an M6 with a 150 shot, he was running a MT ETStreet in a 275/40/17 and pulling low 1.5s, that was spraying out of the hole too, so it was a hard hit and the tires stayed with it.
Don't know what you're running as far as tires right now but you prolly want to get a DR for the street anyways, and it will be fine for you at the track too.

BTW, you ever gonna come to Photo's this year or what? You were one of the regulars last year but now you have a race car so you're too cool?

J/K
Old 05-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Motorboater

I would not listen to Mark, he has a vagina. True story.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Listen here there Mr RPM.. Last few weeks I have had other obligations. Denver CO for a concert, and then my God Sons Birthday...

Where where you guys when it was cloudy? Oh thats right.... Fair weather crew. We should change yalls name to FWC instead of RPM. I will be out again... Looks like this saturday is out from what the forcast says.

I am running a Shitto DR now, 275/40-17 and on the street I cant get her to hook up under 30-35. My stall will blow them off. Even with a preped track I am worried about spinning through the 60. I baby it off a light, and feather out a little I can launch alright. I might just have to set my TQ arm a few more degrees, and buy some bolt in relocation brackets... Just so I can ensure a decent launch... I am almost positive if I can cut a 1.7-1.8 I will blow past the chevelle about 1/2 track.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Motorboater

Wanna borrow my procharger?
Old 05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

I had a 365rwhp LS1 car with a 3500 stall TC and a 275/40/17 BFG DR. I had no problem cutting a high 1.6 short time, using stock 3.23 gears.

It can be done with pratice. You're making more power than I was, but I think you could get excellent traction with a 16" ET Street tire.

As for fair weather, sure why not? Who the hell wants to stand out in the rain?
Old 05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Motorboater

Old 05-28-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
HEy il borrow if if the offers still on the table. Im going to RSD so I could use it. Maybe we can borrow someones trailor and when I race someone and let them look over my car it will have bolt ons and then we can pull in the trailor and throw that procharger on real quick!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Hey there if you wanna be like that then don't come at all! No hard feelings. Yes we are a fair weather crew, or at least I am, not sure about Ryan since he went and got that 02 car, now he actually washes it! Quote: originally spoken by RPM WS6 to the shock and dismay of all around: "So what if it rains on it, I don't care, I'll just wash it tomorrow..." a moment of weird silence followed by many looks of amazement and confusion.
Now I got to be cool and get me a dreary weather car..!!!!!

And don't listen to Sean, he is just upset bc my vagina is better than his and he knows it! Besides, it's not like he has a fast car or anything, hell it only makes a few pounds of boost and then blows the charge pipe off so how fast can it be?????
Old 05-28-2008, 05:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

All this talk about vagina and blowers is getting me excited.

Originally Posted by RPM Mark
Yes we are a fair weather crew, or at least I am, not sure about Ryan since he went and got that 02 car, now he actually washes it! Quote: originally spoken by RPM WS6 to the shock and dismay of all around: "So what if it rains on it, I don't care, I'll just wash it tomorrow..." a moment of weird silence followed by many looks of amazement and confusion.
Now I got to be cool and get me a dreary weather car
I had no choice but to adapt. I mean, it seems like it's gonna rain every weekend until we die so I bought a rain friendly car.

I'm still a fair weather guy for the most part. Rain makes everything suck, except vagina. When it rains I spend that time with some vagina. It's a happy place.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
my bosses car has complete 4 link and is set up for a launch, plus its a big block
Originally Posted by twizted_creations
I am almost positive if I can cut a 1.7-1.8 I will blow past the chevelle about 1/2 track.
Is this a yellow Chevelle? And is your boss's name Phil?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

No its not yellow, and no his name isnt Phil... Jackass, sometimes, ******* most, but never Phil.

So what do you boys think, 3.73s would probably net me the most bang for the buck on this outing, and if I win, I could probably get a small used wet kit with profits if I choose to lay down some cash on the run weather it happens this week or next. Friggen weather. And now I have to work on Sunday.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey twisted make sure you spy on him to see if he makes any pass's before you guys run. ID stick with your 3.23s for now once you install a wet kit and make over 500rwhp the 3.73s might be a tad much but I really dont know.IM going to switch up my 3.23s and get a 3.73 or possibly even a 3.42 but I think its pointless since I wont make a ton of power
Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

But the 3.73s would put my stall right where it wants to be.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Hmmm. I am almost wanting to get him when he hasn't run, since he hasnt run on the track in forever and will probably **** it up. Or make a few passes, and spy him too....

Quick Reply: Anyone want to rent me some slicks and skinnies this weekend?