Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

BUSTED! front plate and window tint....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are not ALL that bad. I hate a state pull me over on 57 for going damn near 100(i was going faster before he clocked me). I had nothing but a fire dept. shirt on and a pair of pj pants on. No id, no badge nothing. He let me off with a warning becuase I was FD and I accidenly had a set of ambulance keys that I was returning.

He was in an unmarked Impala, and had to be FLYING to catch up with me about 7 miles from where he was camped out.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b00sted
Get a picture of a camaro like yours (color, body style) with no tint. Just go to court and say you removed it and they'll drop it.

**** the state police. They're just some political hacks. They don't serve any real purpose.
My buddie did that with his 04 gto. He has limo tint and went and found a pic and printed it out to show no window tint and got it dropped
Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

i just got a front plate ticket... if you have to go to court for them put a front plate on it and take a picture of it and bring it to court and they will throw out the ticket and as for the tint either leave them and pay it or take them off and take a picture to get outa it.... id personall leave them and just pay it but thast just mee
Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

when i got pulled over for my tint the cop told me to either peel off the driver side in front of him for a warning or he would right me a $250 ticket, then he said he would pull me over the next day and another $250, then the next day it would be $500. i peeled off the driver side and left with the warning. didn't feel like getting harassed regularly by him. when i went to my towns police department to ask about the tint laws a cop came outside and looked at my car(just the passenger side, the still tinted window), then started to reach for his ticket book like he was gonna write me a ticket. i had to stop and show him my driver side and tell him what happened real quick.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

The tint law is retarded. Just another way for the state and municipalities to get money from us. Where there is no crime, like in the suburbs and on the freeways, they have nothing better to do.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

The first and only time I got a tint ticket I was arrested... For other reasons. Old *** warrent from about 7 years prior... Still got the ticket but the kicker is that I only had the car for about a week and was rolling it out past midnight for the first time. *******. I just paid the damn thing. 75 bucks and I was on my way. Well minus the bond money.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Teching In

hah. I got the same thing here in Iowa. I bought my car from Chicago tho (at some cheap *** trailer along the highway)... haha! Anyway. My tint isnt even that dark. I guess it's legal in Illinois, but illegal in Iowa. The trooper ended up throwing me in the car and told me he pulled me over for doing 72 in a 65 ((WHAT!?! everyone does that!)), no liscense plate, and window tint was too dark. Luckily he only gave me the $80 ticket for the window tint, but dammit, when he was writting the ticket he started hitting on me and asked me if I was going to the TOOL concert that night. I would have, but after he pulled me over I couldnt afford to. (oh yeah, I was on my way back from a district meeting for work)... I jokingly told my boss they need to pay that ticket for me since it happened while i was at work... they didnt pay it. haha

I'm keeping my tint.. i flat out told the trooper "so you're telling me, if you had a car like that, you wouldnt tint the windows?"...

I think that's why i got the ticket My smartmouth always gets me in trouble
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

I have tint on all my windows too. I also live in Iowa. Have 5% on the back, 20% on the sides and here is the kicker, 45% on the entire front windshield which makes the front sides look about like 5%. Well you can see in my sig, they are dark. No front license plate either. I never get looked at for the license plate, and always drop the windows as soon as I see a cop. Knock on wood, i havnt gotten a ticket yet....
Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Teching In

hah i tried the drop the window thing... didnt work that day...
Old 07-25-2008, 04:36 AM
On The Tree

Got a speeding ticket a little over month ago(69 in a 55, got court supervision - first speeding ticket in over 20 years) with tint on drivers/pass windows and no front plate - cop did not even mention them.... was a county though
Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

I just got my window tinting plates! Now the cops cant touch me for that atleast.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Matt_WS6_00
I just got my window tinting plates! Now the cops cant touch me for that atleast.
what did you have to go through to get those. i have a couple buddies that have gotten them.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Teching In

you can go to the eye doctor and have them write up some sort of thing where it allows you to have dark dint... just tell them the sunlight bothers you and gives you a headache or something... that's what a bunch of my friends have done
Old 07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

thats what i've heard. a few years ago i went to a walmart and stopped by the eye people(figured its walmart, they'd be easy to get it from) and the guy was like, i have "i have no idea about anything for tints for a car. you need to be like blind to have to have tints on your window."
if your blind you shouldn't be driving. the guy was an idiot.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mna, IL sucks, i thought MO was bad, you can have as dark as 35% =/- 3 here.

i got popped for 14% when i had my Avalanche. Just took of the driver and passenger fronts (rear and back glass can be any darkness) and got it dropped.

Some of you guys were talking about just paying the fines and keeping the tint, but here you can be ticketed again.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Teching In

we can be ticketed again... but more than likely, if that happens, the trooper will HELP take off the tint... hah
Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm driving plateless/tinted on borrowed time myself

If we only needed 1 plate wouldn't it cut license plate stamping costs in half?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Banned

I'm keeping my tint regardless of how many tickets it gets me. No trooper is going to "help" me take it off. I'm sure he wouldn't "help" me change a headlight if I had one out. I need to find what the law says on that, I should call my attorney and see if he knows.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Illinois Vehicle Code contains details on IL tint laws here http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...ehicle+Code%2E

(625 ILCS 5/12‑503) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑503)
Sec. 12‑503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.
(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12‑502.
(c) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any objects placed or suspended between the driver and the front windshield, rear window, side wings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver which materially obstructs the driver's view.
(d) Every motor vehicle, except motorcycles, shall be equipped with a device, controlled by the driver, for cleaning rain, snow, moisture or other obstructions from the windshield; and no person shall drive a motor vehicle with snow, ice, moisture or other material on any of the windows or mirrors, which materially obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway.
(e) No person shall drive a motor vehicle when the windshield, side or rear windows are in such defective condition or repair as to materially impair the driver's view to the front, side or rear. A vehicle equipped with a side mirror on each side of the vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12‑502 will be deemed to be in compliance in the event the rear window of the vehicle is materially obscured.
(f) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Section shall not apply to:
(1) motor vehicles manufactured prior to January 1,

1982; or
(2) to those motor vehicles properly registered in

another jurisdiction.
(g) Paragraph (a) of this Section shall not apply to any motor vehicle with a window treatment, including but not limited to a window application, reflective material, nonreflective material, or tinted film, applied or affixed to a motor vehicle that:
(1) is owned and operated by a person afflicted with

or suffering from a medical illness, ailment, or disease, including but not limited to systemic or discoid lupus erythematosus, disseminated superficial actinic porokeratosis, or albinism, which would require that person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun; or
(2) is used in transporting a person when the person

resides at the same address as the registered owner of the vehicle and the person is afflicted with or suffering from a medical illness, ailment or disease which would require the person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun, including but not limited to systemic or discoid lupus erythematosus, disseminated superficial actinic porokeratosis, or albinism.
The owner must obtain a certified statement or

letter written by a physician licensed to practice medicine in Illinois that such person owning and operating or being transported in a motor vehicle is afflicted with or suffers from such illness, ailment, or disease, including but not limited to systemic or discoid lupus erythematosus, disseminated superficial actinic porokeratosis, or albinism, and such certification must be carried in the motor vehicle at all times. The certification shall be legible and shall contain the date of issuance, the name, address and signature of the attending physician, and the name, address, and medical condition of the person requiring exemption. The information on the certificate for a window treatment must remain current and shall be renewed annually by the attending physician. The owner shall also submit a copy of the certification to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State may forward notice of certification to law enforcement agencies.
(g‑5) (Blank).
(h) Paragraph (a) of this Section shall not apply to motor vehicle stickers or other certificates issued by State or local authorities which are required to be displayed upon motor vehicle windows to evidence compliance with requirements concerning motor vehicles.
(i) Those motor vehicles exempted under paragraph (f)(1) of this Section shall not cause their windows to be treated as described in paragraph (a) after January 1, 1993.
(j) A person found guilty of violating paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be guilty of a petty offense and fined no less than $50 nor more than $500. A second or subsequent violation of paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be treated as a Class C misdemeanor and the violator fined no less than $100 nor more than $500. Any person convicted under paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be ordered to alter any nonconforming windows into compliance with this Section.
(Source: P.A. 94‑564, eff. 8‑12‑05; 95‑202, eff. 8‑16‑07.)
Old 07-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TORK?
I'm driving plateless/tinted on borrowed time myself

If we only needed 1 plate wouldn't it cut license plate stamping costs in half?

hahaha true

Quick Reply: BUSTED! front plate and window tint....