Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

BUSTED! front plate and window tint....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BUSTED! front plate and window tint....

Well, didn't take long...I've had my side windows tinted for about 3 months now and no front plate for over a year, but I got picked off this morning! The state trooper wasn't very kind either, I got the double whammy. He told me that he writes Camaros frequently because we apparently think that vanity is above the law. So I have a new chore this weekend, which involves simple green and a razor blade...plus zipties to hold the plate on my billet grille.

this state is rediculous, I mean I know that I was in violation, but come on...why the hell can't the feds just step in and make the law the same everywhere?

I was warned that this would go on my ***duhn duhn duhn*** permanent record!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

that's bs it's an equipment violation, I don't think it'll be on your record.

I just got a ticket yesterday too. I was driving down irving park passed central driving all cool and slow. It was raining so I had the windows up, and the stupid pig does a U turn speeds up and pulls me over.

He asked me if I was a fire fighter (FF memorial plates), I said "NO" and he gives me a ticket. For it. I have no front plate, but he didn't get me on that. My tint is light too, maybe 35% if that.

And the City Council is talking about raising it to $250. So it'll probably be a $300 ticket. $50 goes to the state. It's $75 right now, but the city only gets $25.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=3.1.1
Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

I may just remove them. Or get a high *** percentage.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a picture of a camaro like yours (color, body style) with no tint. Just go to court and say you removed it and they'll drop it.

**** the state police. They're just some political hacks. They don't serve any real purpose.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

i thought tints where legal as long as the front wasnt blacked out
Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

no tint in front windows at all
Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

the passenger, driver, and front windows can't be tinted. back seat windows can be tinted all you want. i had a cop make me rip them off like 6 months after i bought my car with the tints on it.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:06 AM
11 Second Club

Got one for tinted windows last Thanksgiving. Make sure when you get it taken care of that it's an equipment violation. They charged me with a moving violation and wouldn't change it over. BS!

Got a warning for exhaust. Good thing it was on the interstate and she couldn't hear the beast....until I started it and took off.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

so if I pull the tint off, I can get the ticket dropped? What pisses me off, is the tint was only 65%. He told me I had to remove it and pay the fine within 30 days. He didn't even write his name in the ticket, just initialed it and put his badge number. I'm probably lucky, becuase the car was turned off so he didn't hear the LT's through my new Corsa exhaust.

However he did mention that he frequently patrols the little town I just moved to, so he'll know when I fix everything. I love the intimidation...dude, it was tint and a license plate, not a rolling meth lab. I really wanted to see how many times I could say "meow" to him, but I wasn't in the mood at the time.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:10 AM
11 Second Club

had a state trooper pull me for tint/front plate
and to top it off he told me my front bumper was more than 3" lower then the rear ... and that's a violation as well!
qa1's in front lowered some, rear stock height

it's all about what kind of mood the officer is in to me
Old 07-23-2008, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what little town is it that he patrols???
Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
Well, didn't take long...I've had my side windows tinted for about 3 months now and no front plate for over a year, but I got picked off this morning! The state trooper wasn't very kind either, I got the double whammy. He told me that he writes Camaros frequently because we apparently think that vanity is above the law. So I have a new chore this weekend, which involves simple green and a razor blade...plus zipties to hold the plate on my billet grille.

this state is rediculous, I mean I know that I was in violation, but come on...why the hell can't the feds just step in and make the law the same everywhere?

I was warned that this would go on my ***duhn duhn duhn*** permanent record!

All I did when I took my tints off was peel the tint off the window and use some Windex with ammonia and the adhesive basically wipes off. You do need to let the windex set for a few... but it makes it alot easier.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

there is a St Police HQ right next to my house,,,i see them all the time (no front plate) but they never hassle me (knock on wood)..no window tint here.

yeah,,what small town are you talking about?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2006ImpalaSS
All I did when I took my tints off was peel the tint off the window and use some Windex with ammonia and the adhesive basically wipes off. You do need to let the windex set for a few... but it makes it alot easier.
thats the same way i got mine off.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Teching In

This law wouldnt affect cars that are out of state? Im bringing my thirdgen down from Ontario and we are allowed to have tinted windows... I wouldnt get nailed for this would I? Only if I had IL plates
Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,207 Likes on 773 Posts

..Only if you had IL plates.

I've been taking a chance running around in my TBSS with 20% tint and !front plate, but I'm going to put the front plate on my rationale is that it would give the cops less reason to pull me over.

I always drop my front windows when I see cops I don't take the chance.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

put the plate behind the grille. that what i ended up doing because i kept getting tickets for that too. It looks alot better, technically still illegal though but I havent had any trouble since.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Teching In

I have my plate mounted on my air dam and no problems yet. I did get a ticket for tint, mine was 15%, before I left OH and moved back to IL. I would have rolled down my windows but my driver side motor was wasted. What made it worse was all I had to do was take the car down to city hall before my court date and show them the tint was removed and they would throw out the ticket. I removed my side tint, drove down to city hall and they don't even bother to come outside and check. They just had me sign a paper stating it was removed and tore up the ticket.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

I got a warning ticket a couple months ago in my truck. It got me thinkin. My dad has a lake house in indiana, is there anyway i can register my car and my truck in indiana so i can have tinted windows and no front plate?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got one last year for no tints. i just took a pic of my car from when it didnt have tints and the judge let it go and he let my other three tickets go as well.

Quick Reply: BUSTED! front plate and window tint....