Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Help me decide a branch!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going to try and sell you the Navy, but I am a Recruiter, so if you go into the Navy office and have any questions after you leave, shoot me a pm and I will answer any questions you might have
Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K, 3 hours ago, I retired.

The Navy was the best thing I ever did! I learned from it, went places, advanced well, took care of my family and now I've got SEVERAL job choices literally fighting for me! What ever you do, do it well!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

i was in the army for 5 years and i've been in the af for 2...in my mos (linguist), army and navy promote the fastest (e6 at 6 years and e7 just under 10). with experience from two branches...i would recommend choosing a branch before a job. promotion rate is everything imo. if i could do it again, i would go navy.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

usmc attack helo mechanic here ,cobras and hueys, pm me for any questions
Old 11-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Default what ever you choose...

Every branch has benefits in one way or another. I did six years in the Navy and loved every minute of it. My only advice is dont let the recruiters fill you with bullcrap, most of them are full of it. Do like your doing and talk to everyone in all branches to find what suits you best.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

if you want to be an aircraft mechanic i would go air force. In the army you may get an aircraft mechanic job, but you will be a soldier first. So not all your time will be spent fixing planes. Also if you think about it, doesnt it make sense to join the branch with the largest inventory of aircraft.

I spent 4 active duty air force working as an electrician on c-17s, and now am in the guard as an avionics technician on f-16s. After 4 years active duty i was able to get out and walk right into a civilian job working on blackhawks for the army. that should be a big part of the decision. the jobs that will be available after you get out.

honestly though i would consider the air guard if you still want to keep going in school. basic and tech school will give you a break from college, and then you can finish working on your degree(while getting paid well from the gi bill and a kicker with most maintenance jobs). once you have your degree you can then look into becoming an officer and doing the pilot thing if you really wanted to. or just stay it the guard as a mechanic (P.S. be careful about taking a crew cheif job, they do alot of the grunt work like tire changes, pump gas, daily inspections, etc... not much troubleshooting in that job)

whatever you do, talk to people in the career feild that you are considering. as far as what branch...for me the choice was easy, sleeping in a hotel beats digging a hole to sleep in any day. i have deployed to afghanistan and iraq, both places i was in air conditioned trailers with power in my room. also i wasnt in either country for more than 2 months. theres no way i would want to go for a year like other branches. i wouldnt want to be on an aircraft carrier for that long either. go with the spoiled branch man.. you will thank yourself later haha.

send me a pm if you want to pick my brain about the air force. active duty or guard. i can also tell you a little more about some of the maintenance jobs available on the flightline. good luck in whatever you do though.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

01 torch, i dont know who you talked to that was a AC mechanic in the army, but i never had to be a soldier before my job. everyone has additional duties that they have to do, but when i was in iraq, i was always a maintainer first. then b/s came second. depending on the units you are in, they will be tasked out with gate gaurd or tower gaurd, but that is if you are in a support unit and not a AC line unit.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and there were a many of days that would be spend out on the flight line all day working on AC, and not even get bothered with inspections and stuff. gotta keep the birds flying to support the mission, period.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01_torch_red_vette
Also if you think about it, doesnt it make sense to join the branch with the largest inventory of aircraft.
you sure that's the Airforce? Pretty sure the Navy has more planes than the AF...
Old 11-10-2008, 02:09 PM

Join the NOAACC.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

sorry to steal the thread but ive just been trolling and reading all the post pretty much in the same situation at the the OP , I have the marines in mind and a couple jobs that im trying to pick between one is Satellite Communications Operator-Maintainer and the other is Information Security Technician just wondering what are the chances of me getting one of these jobs?, right now i am studying for the asvab especially the EL part because i know the two jobs i would like require a score of atleast 100 on the EL portion of the test . Also if someone could send me a PM and just give me some insight to basic its not the PT part i'm concerned with its the mental part just trying to find a way to prepare if there is one. Thanks and again sorry to the OP
Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
you sure that's the Airforce? Pretty sure the Navy has more planes than the AF...
Navy has more combat craft, the AF has more planes (they count the supply planes and such)
Old 11-12-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well guys, i apperciate all the good info that has been given... im pretty sure i have made my mind up, which will be Airforce... i think this is the best thing for me, and offers me the best chance of doing what i want to in my life-career.. i decided that i will atleast finish out next semester of school and get my associates degree, then join which should benefit me a little bit... after im in i plan on finishing the rest of my schooling also..
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

congrats man and good luck just wondering what job are you going for ?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks a lot man, im going for aircraft mechanic...
Old 11-14-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if AC mechanic is what you want to do make sure thats EXACTLY what you want to do. i work on the flightline (AC fuel system repair) and our job routines suck.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowmc
Im in the Air Force. At work right now. And on LS1Tech. Enough Said.
+1 no more f16s to fix
Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

"There are two kinds of people, MARINES and those who wish they were MARINES."
Old 11-15-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Air Force and its because I've had a deployment/assignment on every continent except Australia and thats only because the Navy doesn't want me stealing all the local nations

Seriously though, if your going Acft mechanic, then you already know what one you should be looking at. The one with "Air" in its name. However, I love working for the Army/Marine chains of command because they leave me alone and they value my opinion more than my own branch ever seems to do.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Air Force. But its your choice really...........

Im not going to say this or that. From what I have seen and talking to my friends that were/are either Marines or Army I made the best decision that I could have made.

Air Force send their officers to fight. Well unless you volunteered for convoy duty or something like that.

Quick Reply: Help me decide a branch!!