Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Help me decide a branch!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help me decide a branch!!

well guys, i would like to hear everyones views, and experiences through all the branches of the military... im kinda at a point in my life, where i think the military will be the best thing for me by the way i am 20 years old if that matters. I'm just confused on what branch i want, ive been thinking a lot about the Navy, and Airfroce, but a part of me is kind of interested in the marines, but i just dont know if i could handle that one. So if anyone could just tell me about their experiences, the good and bad of it.. i would appreciate any info that is given. thanks,john
Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in the Air Force. At work right now. And on LS1Tech. Enough Said.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slowmc
Im in the Air Force. At work right now. And on LS1Tech. Enough Said.

yeah but the af isn't the only branch that can do that, just depends on your MOS..... go coast guard.... don't ask why, just thought that we could use a coastie in here....

In all fairness in the end it's going to be up to you. Think about what you want out of the military and do what you can to make it suit you.
Just want a steady job? Need money for school and don't know what you want to do? Wanna kill someone?(don't laugh, there are no **** people who I went thru MEPS with and that's why they wanted to join )

those are a majority of reasons people join. Narrow down your choice of branch and it will be much easier to get feedback from people, but like everything take what someone says with a grain of salt, because military members can be some of the most disgruntled people

Last edited by NebWS6; 11-05-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

well im already in school right now, and not really enjoying it at all. I think a lot of it is a steady job, i am never happy where i am working, and just think the military would be a good experience for me...
Old 11-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Launching!

stick out the semester, and in the meantime look into what branches might interest you.
There are pro's and cons to each branch, so think ahead to what you might want to do when you get out because you can't stay in forever, although some try
and remember if you are hating school right now and want to quit you can, if you get into the military and end up hating that too, you can't just quit.

Friend of mine was in your shoes, hated school and didn't know what he wanted to do, so in the meantime he went and visited all of the recruiters from each branch, and ended up staying in and finishing school, because he couldn't make up his mind and eventually school wasn't so bad anymore.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man.... Well i did plan on finishing the semester out, this is my 2nd year and im just sick of it... tomorrow i am going to talk to some recruiters and see whats out there for me..
Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yo, empty your mailbox. and surprised you didnt ask a few of us locals. Hit my cell up and we can do lunch and I can talk to ya about some of my experience
Old 11-05-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey dude Im in the coast guard, Im finishing my degree up and headed to OCS. Make sure you check all branches and do the research to see whats right for you
Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in your shoes 8 months ago. I'm in the navy now. Its easy. I get paid to go to school.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Join the Marines.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Join the Marines.
That's something I wouldn't do.....
Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Army promotes the fastest which means more money and bigger bonuses then any other branch enjoy.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stocktonz28
Army promotes the fastest which means more money and bigger bonuses then any other branch enjoy.
Not true. My cousin has been in the army for 6 years and he's still an E4. I've been in since march and I'm an E4. You do the math there. I also got a 25k sign on bonus, and I'll get a 45k bonus in a year and a half. Its up to you.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
thanks man.... Well i did plan on finishing the semester out, this is my 2nd year and im just sick of it... tomorrow i am going to talk to some recruiters and see whats out there for me..

You might find youself in the same position as me. I got thru three years and was getting sick of school, so I joined up as a reservist and went thru all the training, got back home finished school, and here I am. I have been deployed, gone to tons of countries and cities and have a ton of memories and pics to go along with it. Everyone will have a different story to tell you

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Not true. My cousin has been in the army for 6 years and he's still an E4. I've been in since march and I'm an E4. You do the math there. I also got a 25k sign on bonus, and I'll get a 45k bonus in a year and a half. Its up to you.
I think he meant overall, and yes generally the army does promote faster than the other branches. Your cousin could have gotten njp'd or is in a slow promotion MOS or a hundred other things...
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
but a part of me is kind of interested in the marines, but i just dont know if i could handle that
Don't bother with the Marines with that mindset, I've found it to be the most rewarding thing I've ever done but I love the challenges, but if you dont want a challenge it's not for you, the other branches, barring some select MOS's, are easy as hell so they should be a good fit
Old 11-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Teching In

It all depends on what you want to do (like someone else said). If you want a desk job, every service has desk jobs, but you may not always be doing it. You could be doing admin one day and training to clear houses the next.

If you want to kick down doors and kill people, your best bet would be infantry in the Marines... or army.

That being said, I've been a Marine for just over five years. I'm trying to keep my bias out of this.

Edit: Xtinctbird, I sent ya a PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

My
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment
Good luck to you either way
Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

marines or nothing at all
Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate the advice from everyone, still not sure on what.. im just gonna try and do some more research on what i am looking for....
Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

i would recomend researching the jobs(MOS) as for what you want to do. not only now but something usefull when you get out. also research the points for promotion for that job. and dont believe one third of what any recruiter tells you, talk to active duty soldiers/saloirs/airmen/marines that do the job your interested in. i did five years active army. its not for everyone. i loved my first unit and hated life in my second. there is good and bad to it all. its just life. just make sure your gonna put your all into it or you will hate life. if you have a positive outlook on things and stay out of trouble you will have some of the best times of your life and make alot of close friends that will be there till the end. good luck. oh and how is that 70 coming along?

Quick Reply: Help me decide a branch!!