Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

I need tactical vest advice...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
Nothing live, but this isn't just for ROTC. I am prior service, I would have gotten one regardless of ROTC but the fact that I am no longer in a unit that provides decent stuff and that I would be forced to furnish my own **** or use vietnam war **** is another reason. Besides, should anything happen to my ROTC career (just covering my ***) I will have it. It's something that I will use post commission as well I'm sure.
There is no unit out there that will send you over with old gear. Units buy new gear before they deploy, that includes the reserves/guard. You wont be going anywhere with vietnam stuff.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
There is no unit out there that will send you over with old gear. Units buy new gear before they deploy, that includes the reserves/guard. You wont be going anywhere with vietnam stuff.
I'm aware of that, but while I'm here I don't want to train with it either.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

The one you showed in the last pic looked like it would be real hard to get the mags out while you are wearing gloves. Not sure how many you need to carry with you but me and most of the guys on my team usally only have 3 or 4 mags on our gear with more in our blow out bag. It is just too hard to move with all that crap on you
Old 01-01-2009, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by krusemj
The one you showed in the last pic looked like it would be real hard to get the mags out while you are wearing gloves. Not sure how many you need to carry with you but me and most of the guys on my team usally only have 3 or 4 mags on our gear with more in our blow out bag. It is just too hard to move with all that crap on you
what branch are you in? and what job are you in. The typical combat load for a soldier outside the wire typically consists of at least 200 rounds. I don't know how hard it'd be to pull out a mag out of a three mag pouch quick release but I'd think it'd be pretty easy unless you have an angel handing you ammo.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have known a lot of guys that have the vest in the first pic and they all have said they are pretty well.... warm!!!!!!!!

Remember that if you are wearing any kind of body armor that will just be on top of that.

I did Woodland Search and Rescue for many years and a lot of guys really hated those vests.

Id save your money and see what people are using after you get your commision.

I used the "old stuff" for the entire time I was in SAR and would cary pretty heavy loads for days no problem. Its all about how you pack your gear. Mine also made very little noise if any at all. Like I said comfort and useability is all in how you pack it.

Ive seen them at Surpluss stores, id go and try one on and full them with mags and all that they have so that you can get an idea but like I said a lot of guys say they are rather warm when you wear one. On the flip side with a vest everything stays closer you your body and there is less that can get snaged on.
I am trying to get back into SAR and go Air/Ground SAR and will most likley try a vest out since I will not need to carry a ton of gear but then again last time I loaded everything into my cammel back (off topic I know, sorry).

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-01-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm aware of that, but while I'm here I don't want to train with it either.
What unit are you in? I haven even seen a unit using vietnam stuff either in states. Most of the units dont even use the LCE anymore they use LBV.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

What unit are you in? I haven even seen a unit using vietnam stuff either in states. Most of the units dont even use the LCE anymore they use LBV.
I never said my unit had that gear, I said ROTC issues that gear. And even the LBV's are garbage.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:35 AM
NKAWTG...N

ROTC's still use ALICE gear. But it sounds like no matter what this kid wants to have a TacVest for ROTC. So just go out and buy one dude! Your not going to be using it once you commission into the real Army anyway.

Hell, I'll sell you mine if you want:
Old 01-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Restricted User

******* Gear queer thread is right!
3rd Lieutenants don't need **** and I'm willing to bet you will not use whatever you buy if you do get commisioned but whatever makes those college chicks think you're cool right?
How many deployments did you have before you got out? What did you use?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StoleIt
ROTC's still use ALICE gear. But it sounds like no matter what this kid wants to have a TacVest for ROTC. So just go out and buy one dude! Your not going to be using it once you commission into the real Army anyway.

For one, I'm not a KID and I've been in the REAL Army for over three years now. You're not talking to a Private or some high school wannabee that's all hooah hooah in ROTC. I fast tracked up to an E-5 slot and turned down a DS school slot for my scholarship with ROTC. Why would I not use it when I get into the "real Army"? As long as my command allows it I will be using my own configuration of gear besides my IBA and ACH.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

And even the LBV's are garbage.
How is that? They carry a full M16 combat load, grenades, water in case you dont have a camelbak, and a few extra pockets for all the other junk you might want to carry. Plus the LBV is pretty easy to move in. Someone just wants to look cool I suspect.

Its funny because when the LBV got phased in to replace the LCE everyone was raving about it but now that there are 5000 different vests that look cool that you can buy on the market everyone think the LBV is garbage.

Anyway whatever buy whatever you like but dont try to give the misconception that the gear that you get issued in the army is garbage, because it really isnt. Maybe it just isnt as cool looking. The Army Times did an article on how lots of guys are getting gear to look unique and cool. It was a funny article.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Restricted User

Old 01-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Teching In

^^^^ that is awesome. seems to match OP pretty well.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Restricted User

That one's for brad8266 for being the first one to say it. Well done.

OP: What was your MOS and how many deployments do you have?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gear queer thread.
There is NOTHING wrong with being a gear queer!
OP, I tried just about everything I could get my hands on when I was in, and over the course of my time I found that the IBA was most comfortable without an additional vest over it. Just attach all your stuff to the vest with the molle loops and call it a day. You said you were going to be combat arms, are you going to be Infantry? Let me tell you nothing is more annoying than sprinting around and your vest/over vest/gear ratteling around, shifting and flopping all over the place.
Also you might end up with the IOTV, in which case you really dont need anything at all, that vest is freaking COMFORTABLE! Even with all the land warrior stuff attatched.
If you must then go with tactical taylor. Loved their stuff. It was really handy having the TT store right off post when I was at fort lewis.

In summation: I found during my 8 years and 2 iraq vacations that KISS reigns supreme. Keep your gear as simple as possible and youll be good to go.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

what branch are you in? and what job are you in. The typical combat load for a soldier outside the wire typically consists of at least 200 rounds. I don't know how hard it'd be to pull out a mag out of a three mag pouch quick release but I'd think it'd be pretty easy unless you have an angel handing you ammo.
Yea, you have to have at least 210 rounds, but they don't all have to be on your vest.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh jesus thats funny socmguy! Bob on the FOB!
The dump pouch is the best! All my cherries HAD to have one during my second tour. Guess what there was a whole sections worth of unused dump pouches in my sections tac box at the end of the tour.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Teching In

I am in Special Forces and I am 18C. It is a lot harder to get mags out of 3 mag pouches than the single mag pouch like I carry. In the dark when you are tired and amped up pulling mags out is something you have to be able to do quickly and smoothly. Plus if you wears gloves it gets a little harder. Here are the ones I use.
http://http://www.tacticaltailor.com/556223singlemagpouch.aspx[/URL]

Last edited by krusemj; 01-01-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by socmguy
that looks like my SgtMaj my last tour in iraq lol. he had more crap on his MTV than the Marines doing hte actual patrols. he always said just in case i need it i'll have it devil.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bob on the FOB,

Quick Reply: I need tactical vest advice...