5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Which should I join?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Update:

I decided not to take the test and all that. I talked to a few Air Force people and they all have recommended it to me based on what I want and my laid back style. I talked to a little to the AF recruiter today and I felt a hell of a lot more comfortable with him then the Marine recruiter. I'm going up there tomorrow to talk more. I scored a 47 on the practice ASVAB. I started to feel a little pressured by the Marines and the AF was a branch that peaked my interest. This is very tough but my heart is telling me no Marines for me!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you looking to do in the armed forces?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
How about Army diver, sapper, infantry ... I could go on and on and on. I'm sorry but the Marines may have less **** bags but by all means it does not mean every Marine can only be challenged in toughness my Army elite or special ops. I think that is a crock of ****. Title is far from a clear indicator of toughness.
Didn't you know? All Marines are stone cold killers. Just like all airmen are pilots, all joe's are stupid, and everyone in the navy is gay.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jperran
Didn't you know? All Marines are stone cold killers. Just like all airmen are pilots, all joe's are stupid, and everyone in the navy is gay.
nice!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jperran
No I didn't thank you for clearifying this. I am now enlightened with the wisdom of the military gods distant cousin. Thank you for that. I will now... umm, ok ughhh
Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Teching In

definitely think it over and over again though as that choice will be atleast 3-6 years of your life!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
No I didn't thank you for clearifying this. I am now enlightened with the wisdom of the military gods distant cousin. Thank you for that. I will now... umm, ok ughhh
Sarcasm...try it!

You will find the Air Force is the least "military" of the armed services.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Sarcasm...try it!

You will find the Air Force is the least "military" of the armed services.
Having never been in the air force I couldn't say that for certain, but in my opinion your absolutely right, although having worked with some Navy I think there might be some stiff competition for that title.
It doesn't sound like the OP is looking to be a Combat arms man though, so it may be right up his alley.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Having never been in the air force I couldn't say that for certain, but in my opinion your absolutely right, although having worked with some Navy I think there might be some stiff competition for that title.
It doesn't sound like the OP is looking to be a Combat arms man though, so it may be right up his alley.
I'm definitely not looking into being in combat but maybe a combat controller (I think thats what its called) in the AF.

Is it true that if I were to go take the test and physical that I would be binded to the Marines? The more and more I think about it the AF seems to be the right decision.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I'm definitely not looking into being in combat but maybe a combat controller (I think thats what its called) in the AF.

Is it true that if I were to go take the test and physical that I would be binded to the Marines? The more and more I think about it the AF seems to be the right decision.
No, you are not binded to ****. If you are debating AF or Marines then the Marines is not for you. Combat Controller?! I don't think you know what you are getting into with that bub, but hey def a respectable position but farrrr from easy
Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

HELL NO! Who told you that? You aren't bound to **** until you sign that contract and raise your right hand! You need to report the recruiter that told you that to their regional recruitment command, sounds like a recruiter impropriety.
the controllers are combat arms dude, don't fool yourself, you'll be out their on patrol and doing raids with the grunts.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Banned

lol bro, you may want to read up on Combat Control.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

HELL NO! Who told you that? You aren't bound to **** until you sign that contract and raise your right hand! You need to report the recruiter that told you that to their regional recruitment command, sounds like a recruiter impropriety.
the controllers are combat arms dude, don't fool yourself, you'll be out their on patrol and doing raids with the grunts.
That is a big relief because I was getting a little scared. I need to look a little more closely at the AF jobs and try to choose one with less combat and one that will translate good to civilian life if I don't choose to make it a career. I really appreciate all the help and info.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

As POG as it sounds look into the medical field. Had a buddy that reclassed from 11series to xray tech after our first tour. That was in 05 and now hes making around 80 grand a year civilian sector.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

As POG as it sounds look into the medical field. Had a buddy that reclassed from 11series to xray tech after our first tour. That was in 05 and now hes making around 80 grand a year civilian sector.
Okay you lost me there. What is POG and 11series? I'm very familiar with the medical field. In high school I was in Allied Health for 3 years,interned at the Vet and Hospital and even got certified for CPR/AED & Certified Nursing Assistant. Those certifications are expired but i've always had a love for the medical field. I was going to school to be a Physical Therapist Assistant and then eventually gonna go and try to be a Physical Therapist but somewhere along the way I got off track with being dumb over a female and wanting to make money so I stopped going to school. Now i'm at the point where want to get back on track.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Teching In

11 series would be like an infantryman
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well hell dude whatever sort of training you want for the medical field you can get in army, not so sure about the air force but I would assume the same is true. The only problem I can think of is that alot of medical positions require you to have a commission. If you want to be an equipment operator or along those lines you should be ok but for anything where you'd be face to face I dont know. Can someone else who is in the medical field post up?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and 11 series is Infantry and POG is Person-Other than-Grunt. A term used to describe non Infantry MOS's. Its just part of the Army vocabulary.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 PM
NKAWTG...N

AF has a huge enlisted medical career field. Talk to a recruiter. I have two friends I can name off the top of my head are both enlisted AF in the medical field. You just wont end up as a flight surgeon or a doctor as an enlisted guy. Nothing wrong with that. Unless you already have a degree and want to go to Med school your not gonna get commissioned.

Once again, talk to a recruiter!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

This was hinted at and somewhat stated eariler, I think it bears repeating. Lots of combat support personnel are in combat. Manning checkpoints, going with recovery teams, pulling guard duty, patrols, delivering supplies, legal assistants going to the fields to help a soldier with a legal form, fixing equipment that cannot be removed from its position, convoys...just to name a few things. You may be trained in something totally non combat and get to your unit whose need for a replacement to go kick in doors outweighs their need for a cook or radio repairman at the moment. Again though, you will be trained in what to and how to respond.

The blunt and rather negative way to say it is pretty much this: if you want to join the military but don't want to go to the "front lines" or see combat you should be honest and admit that you just want to draw a paycheck. You must be honest with yourself.

A less negative more encouraging way to say it: If you are wanting to join but not be in combat (also known as combat support) then you seriously owe it to all combat personnel to pick something that you have a passion and aptitude for and will be very good at your job. Make damn sure you do the best possible job you can to support those who actually rely on your services.

Quick Reply: Which should I join?