5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Which should I join?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my two cents

Having served in the ARMY for almost nine years now, I am definately biased towards the ARMY. The ARMY is the oldest and largest branch of our Armed Forces. Every branch has good people and every branch has its share of dirtbags. Anyone who tells you that Marines are tougher than SOLDIERS is just straight up wrong. What the Marines do have is a better marketing and public relations department. Every Marine is definately not a rifleman. I worked with Marines in Iraq who couldn't shoot for ****. The same is true for SOLDIERS I worked with.
You said you had not interest in seeing the front lines. I know SOLDIERS and Marines that have deployed to Iraq that never left the FOB. So do not rule out these two services just based on the primary responsibility of both is ground combat. There are plenty of administrative jobs in both branches.
As for my personal opinion on what you should do...I would join the Army. The Army lets you pick what specific job you want to do. The Army has a lot more potential for promotion than any other service. The Army is the largest branch. This just means that there are more jobs offered in the Army and the possibility of your job being available is greater. Not to mention the combination of bonuses and college money is getting too much to consider anything else. GO ARMY
Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Isnt the Nationl Guard the oldest branch? Then the Army then a few months later the Marines. IMO opinion Marines win that one hands down because we were formed in a bar. The only true perk the Army has is actual speific job selection. In the Marines you get the field, but they pick the specific job. However you can always lat move to a specific job if you dont like your current one.
As stated earlier, buying people...i.e. bonuses out the *** doesnt make for a better branch of military. It makes for a better branch of kids that want that chedder or g.i. bill only then want to bounce the **** out. Not everyone is looking for college or bonuses. If they are looking for pride, its kind of hard to get it when the branch you in has 2,000,000 people. Not to mention you guys take the garbage that do not qualify for Marines. Dont take it the wrong way, there are plenty of stand up guys in the army, just you guys really do suck at recruiting......do you really think that the top Army dogs want to always raise enlistment bonuses, lower weight standards, lower criminal record standards and take more GEDS than any other branch? They dont do it because they love kids. They do it because they miss recruiting mission.
Now I cant speak for the Marine Corps as a whole, but if my office doesnt make its mission by the 10-15th of the month we get pissed and work harder. There are stations that are hurting everywhere, but in the end you dont see Marines buying kids. I went in the Army office 9 years ago and walked right out and into the Marines. I wasnt impressed by the army recruiters at all, its the same thing today, but they are on new slogan 3,456. Not to mention they even tried to recruit former Marines in a funny *** poster they stopped making real quick. Ill see if I can find it.

Heres one pic that is popular in recruiting offices. I cant find the Army recruiting poster that I love. Damn it to hell!

Last edited by ss1129; 01-15-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Teching In

i will never understand why people join the marines. i see through all that commercial bullshit. marine infantry or army infantry, same ****, just one is gonna be better off financially.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewterls1incincy
i will never understand why people join the marines. i see through all that commercial bullshit. marine infantry or army infantry, same ****, just one is gonna be better off financially.
LOL, its not about money all the time. Thats what the Army doesnt get. You think a $20k bonus (10 up front and 10 spread out over 4 years) is going to change anyones life? Better off financially...LOL. Do you guys run off of different pay charts then the other branches????
Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Teching In

I will agree that there is more turds in the army but what do you expect when we are that much larger. I personaly know two guys that are in the corps know that I wouldnt trust to mow my lawn let alone go to war with. Dont get me wrong there are things that I like about the marines more that the army. And the lowering of weight standards makes me so made I dont want to talk about it. Just dont pretend like being in the marines is the same as being in SF or in Ranger batt. Your average marine cant hold a candle to a batt boy or group guy. That is like saying there is no difference between a marine truck driver and a recon or marsoc guy.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

being that marines are the first on call I would say there's a huge difference. Also why do you think marine boot camp is the longest lasting of the branches? The ignorance some people have is just pitiful
Old 01-15-2009, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

well im in the army and i say dont join either the army or marines. join the airforce. they got all da hot chicks. especially if your lazy. airforce guys dont do ****. now all the airforce guys r gonna say thats a lie but...
Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
Heres one pic that is popular in recruiting offices. I cant find the Army recruiting poster that I love. Damn it to hell!
That picture is funny as hell. Its sad that the Army does have people like that. I've seen some pretty heavy people in all braches though so I'm sure we could all have the same fun.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
being that marines are the first on call I would say there's a huge difference. Also why do you think marine boot camp is the longest lasting of the branches? The ignorance some people have is just pitiful
Where did you get that idea from sounds like another marine fairy tale lol
Old 01-16-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93cz28
well im in the army and i say dont join either the army or marines. join the airforce. they got all da hot chicks. especially if your lazy. airforce guys dont do ****. now all the airforce guys r gonna say thats a lie but...
I hope you are just trying to be funny with that one...
Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Teching In

I am in the AF but I think the future is with the Army. The Army is getting more funding due to the war versus the other Branches of Service.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Default hard headed

absolute insanity that someone can argue that having a 40 thousand dollar enlistment bonus does not make an impact on an 18 year olds financial situation. i mean i'm glad you take pride in your branch, but dont make ridiculous statements.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

absolute insanity that someone can argue that having a 40 thousand dollar enlistment bonus does not make an impact on an 18 year olds financial situation. i mean i'm glad you take pride in your branch, but dont make ridiculous statements.
40k for the G.I. bill is available from all branches.

Army gives out 20K enlistment bonuses. 10k after you complete your school and 10k divided out by the remaining number of years on contract.

So no, its not going to make much of an impact when you break it down.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

Has anyone ever noticed how theres like 10 organizations who claim to be the first people anywhere, and the people who are actually first don't run their mouths about things like that? Quiet Professionals ring a bell? Marine boot camp is the longest because its a combination of boot camp and infantry training, but guess what, a cook is still a ******* cook. You're right, some people's ignorance is pitiful.

join the airforce. especially if your lazy. airforce guys dont do ****.
fo sho

Last edited by J2Pharren1; 01-20-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jperran
Has anyone ever noticed how theres like 10 organizations who claim to be the first people anywhere, and the people who are actually first don't run their mouths about things like that? Quiet Professionals ring a bell? Marine boot camp is the longest because its a combination of boot camp and infantry training, but guess what, a cook is still a ******* cook. You're right, some people's ignorance is pitiful.

fo sho
Marine bootcamp is not a mix of infantry training. You get that for 3 weeks after boot camp for non grunts at Marine Combat Training or if you are a grunt you go to Infantry Training Battalion for 6 weeks I think. So no bootcamp isnt the longest because we mix in infantry training. We do have 3 weeks of marksmanship training though. A cook in the Marines is still a Marine. Still a title only 1% of this nations people both past and present can ever claim. I guess some peoples ignorance is pitiful.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

I'm a firm believer in....

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR SOMEONE ELS'S OPINION ON WHAT BRANCH TO JOIN... YOUR NOT READY TO SIGN THE DOTTED LINE...
Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crazylane
I'm a firm believer in....

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR SOMEONE ELS'S OPINION ON WHAT BRANCH TO JOIN... YOUR NOT READY TO SIGN THE DOTTED LINE...
Short, honest, to the point. I like it.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss1129
Isnt the Nationl Guard the oldest branch? Then the Army then a few months later the Marines. IMO opinion Marines win that one hands down because we were formed in a bar
The Army National Guard is the oldest branch of the U.S. military, tracing its origins back into American colonies as far back as 1636.

The U.S. Navy was recognized October 13, 1775 as the date of the official establishment of the Navy

Originally organized as the Continental Marines on November 10, 1775 and "Establishing and Organizing a Marine Corps" of 1798.

I think
Old 01-21-2009, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I'm very interested in the Navy as well. I have been looking on their site and like how the info is right at my finger tips. Some fields that interest me are engineering,music,law enforcement,information technology,and world language. I got those all from the Navy's site.

From experience what is the training like? I will admit that I am scared of heights and I know how to swim but don't consider myself a fish and want to be in the water all the time. I just really need help.
If you don't mind being on a sub,, Engineering is good to go... If you plan on being on a ship. Don't go engineering, UNLESS... Its a nuke...

Engineering jobs are hard to move up in Rank... Everybody wants in...
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny.... you dog him for giving out falsified information, and then give a bunch of lies in retaliation.

Sounds like you heard a bunch of rumors from your marine buddies and thought they were true.

This thread has turned into a big military branch pissing match

Quick Reply: Which should I join?