Something else or Police Officer
5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Which should I join?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

As of right now I out this decision on hold because i'm not sure if the military life is for me. I'm currently exploring my other options.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best decision yet!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by danhr
Funny.... you dog him for giving out falsified information, and then give a bunch of lies in retaliation.

Sounds like you heard a bunch of rumors from your marine buddies and thought they were true.

This thread has turned into a big military branch pissing match
umm Marines are always the first deployed. Due to the fact that the President doesnt need to talk to congress to move us around. Anywhere in the world in 72 hours notice. Hence Americas 911 force.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss1129
umm Marines are always the first deployed. Due to the fact that the President doesnt need to talk to congress to move us around. Anywhere in the world in 72 hours notice. Hence Americas 911 force.
Again... quit listening to rumors and know your facts.

The President can deploy ANY MILITARY BRANCH for UP TO 60 DAYS, without the approval of congress. This applies to EACH BRANCH.

If what I said wasn't true, then the initial invasion of iraq would of consisted of 100% Marines. Don't know if you know this, but the initial invasion only was only 18% Marines.

and as far as Marines basic being longer than the Army's, I'm assuming you are not aware that the army's infantry basic (infantry basic is different than regular BCT, and also incorporates an army infantryman's job training) is longer than the corps.' basic training

Old 01-24-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread has gone on long enough and has totally lost focus!!!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

^^^^ I agree.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by danhr
Again... quit listening to rumors and know your facts.

The President can deploy ANY MILITARY BRANCH for UP TO 60 DAYS, without the approval of congress. This applies to EACH BRANCH.

If what I said wasn't true, then the initial invasion of iraq would of consisted of 100% Marines. Don't know if you know this, but the initial invasion only was only 18% Marines.

and as far as Marines basic being longer than the Army's, I'm assuming you are not aware that the army's infantry basic (infantry basic is different than regular BCT, and also incorporates an army infantryman's job training) is longer than the corps.' basic training

The initial invasion of iraq had congressional approval nitwit. Thats why everyone was there.

The Marines only made up 18% of the invasion because we are only 10% of the nations military.

I dont know what kind of **** your saying in the third paragraph.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Oh and boot camp is 13 weeks. Combat training for non-combat jobs is 29 days.

Infantry training battalion for combat based jobs is about 60 days.

None of this really matters for anything though.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

If you only scored a 47 on your asvab practice test your choice of jobs in any brach will be significantly limited unless you bring up your score on the actual test by at least another 20-30 points.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reboot
If you only scored a 47 on your asvab practice test your choice of jobs in any brach will be significantly limited unless you bring up your score on the actual test by at least another 20-30 points.
Not true, the AFQT or his ASVAB score is only a combination of english and math. Thats why when you take the practice test thats all thats on it.

Its good to have at least a 50 on the asvab as it will open up more options for bonuses and **** like that. However your line scores are what allows you to take different jobs.

i.i. (gt) general technical (mm) math (el) electrical (cl) clerical....

**** like that. Those scores open up your jobs.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

^^^Very true...
Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
Where did you hear this BS at. The Army has units that can be anywhere in the world in 72 hours as well. The rest of your post is just wrong and has all ready been addressed.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Actually the Army has unit thats can be anywhere in the world in 36. As for ss1129 loving the Marines... Congrats man! I am glad you enjoy less pay, less funding, and all the other things you lack being there. Oh and go ahead and say the lame *** excuse EVERYONE says "The few the proud"... Ummmm, My unit is a million times smaller (This is an exageration but ****, so is almost everything you say), than the Marines. Oh, and your arguement of well we have unit that are smaller than yours... Ya and they aren't anywhere as qualified as us, or many of the other branches.

I hope by my rant this thread get locked... The guy isn't joining and got cold feet from everyones rediculous and probably completely false accusations. To bad cause he could have possibly found his calling but dumbasses with false "Facts" put a damper on his decision.

Got I hope this gets locked so I don't have to continueously prove others wrong, and continue to **** in peoples Cherrios!

Good luck exploring your other options and hopefully you give it a second thought. It's always a good story at the very least and you don't have to commit for long.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:06 AM
TECH Regular

wow people sure are sensitive around here. If the OP got scared off by what's been said then he probably wasn't too serious about it in the first place. Everything said here has been opinions and doing his own research is the best way to make a choice.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Where did you hear this BS at. The Army has units that can be anywhere in the world in 72 hours as well. The rest of your post is just wrong and has all ready been addressed.
Your right on that one. It was needing congress to stay over 90 days that I was thinking of.

Originally Posted by ABadMother1999
Actually the Army has unit thats can be anywhere in the world in 36. As for ss1129 loving the Marines... Congrats man! I am glad you enjoy less pay, less funding, and all the other things you lack being there. Oh and go ahead and say the lame *** excuse EVERYONE says "The few the proud"... Ummmm, My unit is a million times smaller (This is an exageration but ****, so is almost everything you say), than the Marines. Oh, and your arguement of well we have unit that are smaller than yours... Ya and they aren't anywhere as qualified as us, or many of the other branches.

I hope by my rant this thread get locked... The guy isn't joining and got cold feet from everyones rediculous and probably completely false accusations. To bad cause he could have possibly found his calling but dumbasses with false "Facts" put a damper on his decision.

Got I hope this gets locked so I don't have to continueously prove others wrong, and continue to **** in peoples Cherrios!

Please tell me how you get paid more than everyone else on military pay chart. Unit size is irrelevent. Its almost stupid to bring up. A fire team is 4 people...what are you spec ops with a 3 man unit?

Part of the histroy of Marines is doing more with less. I will give you the Army is more funded. But you guys need to be more funded with 1,800,000 more troops. If the Army was sooo damn good and funded and having 2,000,000 members, dont you think it would be easier for you guys to run the Presidents helicopter squadron or embassy duty. On paper I would say you guys do the job. Why dont you?

Look the Army and Marines cross train all the time, and have the same goals. One of the differences is that you guys take G.E.D.s out the ***. You even have programs to help people get a GED if they can pass the ASVAB. We tell those turds (they usually start at the navy) to take a hike all the time. You know what they do? They leave our office with their heads down and walk to down the row to see who will take them. You have more kids just looking for bonuses....because you give them to meet recruiting need. And you guys take felony waivers too....again because the Army is hurting for recruiting mission. Oh now you guys enlist Jrs in High School for the reserves...LOL trying to enlist them before other branches can even legally talk to them.

The office Im at is me and one other recruiter. Together we cover 28 schools. 2 people 28 schools. The Army office next door has 7 recruiters for the same schools. That puts me at a disadvantage off the bat because their recruiter man can spend wayyyy more time prospecting than me. But we make mission faster and more often then them.

Good on the Army, I have no real problems with them as we are both the same team. But the thing the Army has trouble understanding is the intangibles, and thats what (believe it or not) myself and plenty of kids today are looking for. If the Army would just sell themselves instead of money or jobs you would see recruiting go up. A ******* kid can get a full time job at Walmart and make what a PFC makes. Whats the incentive there?

You **** in cherrios, you miss the target. I eat Shredded Wheat.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I agree the Marines have it much easier to recruit since the dont need the same numbers. And I like that you guys dont have to take in some of the losers that the Army does. The Marines are also pros at the whole pr thing. Probaly the only peole better at it are the SEAls. But when it comes down to being better at your average grunt work I dont feel any service has an edge over the other We both have our stars and our turds.
One of the benifits the army has is that we generally have better gear which helps get the job done easier and better. And the fact that you guys run the president and embassy security has noting to do with who is better.
The only problem I have with some Marines is that they hear all the hype and think that it automaticaly makes tham badasses. I actually hade a Marine Lance corporal tell me that he was as good as anybody on my team because he had been through marine basic. Keep in mind that everyone on my team is a E6 and up.

Last edited by 01turdbird; 01-29-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ABadMother1999

Good luck exploring your other options and hopefully you give it a second thought. It's always a good story at the very least and you don't have to commit for long.
Originally Posted by t_raven
wow people sure are sensitive around here. If the OP got scared off by what's been said then he probably wasn't too serious about it in the first place. Everything said here has been opinions and doing his own research is the best way to make a choice.
I didnt get cold feet i'm just researching and making sure not to make a mistake. Thanks for all the info.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Air Force 100%. I'm biased and I can't say much about the Navy but I find the Air Force to be high tech, more relaxed, held to a higher standard, 4 month deployments and good bases. I'm not going to bash the Army and Marines but I have my reasons why I didn't join them and why I chose the Air Force.

Last edited by Pipelayaz; 02-17-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also thinking of joining but I don't know weather it should be the marines or the air force. Also u need a diploma for any of these right? And I wear glasses would the air force still take me? How long are the deployments of the marines? Man I have a lot more questions. Also do recruiters are for example a marine only recruiter or do they have info about other branches. I don't want to go to one who's only going to talk about one branch. Also what other sub branches does the marines have like infantry, snipering etc.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
I'm also thinking of joining but I don't know weather it should be the marines or the air force. Also u need a diploma for any of these right? And I wear glasses would the air force still take me? How long are the deployments of the marines? Man I have a lot more questions. Also do recruiters are for example a marine only recruiter or do they have info about other branches. I don't want to go to one who's only going to talk about one branch. Also what other sub branches does the marines have like infantry, snipering etc.
Any recruiter is only going to be for there branch, Marines deploy for 6-8 months, the Air Force will take you as long as it is correctable to 20/20 (I think thats any branch), Yes you will need a High School Diploma, the AF and USMC do not take very many GED's and most recruiters won't waste their time. If you mean a college degree than no, you don't need one to enlist. Infantry and "snipering" are not sub branches, just jobs. They offer pretty much anything you can think of from Infantry to cooking to mechanics, this is the same with almost any branch, **** even the AF has snipers (although they are a defensive tool, you won't exactly be stalking Osama)

Quick Reply: Which should I join?