Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marines, hows Okinawa?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marines, hows Okinawa?

About to be PCSing to Okinawa and i was just wondering what yall car enthusiast think about it? I know it will be a good chance to save some money and build me another car, so im kinda excited. Tell what you know guys...
Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM
EW1
Launching!

I am in the navy and have been to okinawa many times when my ship went there. I lived in Japan for 6 years. Okinawa is very small but the beaches are nice. The biggest base there i think is the air force base, Kadena. The biggest city to go partying at is Naha. As far as cars, Japan is one of the best places to go. You could find a nice Skyline GTR anywhere from 9k to 15k. There are also sylvias, chasers, and supras. Not sure if theyhave these stores in Okinawa but on the main island there are shops called "Parts Off" and "Up Garage" which are awesome places to get car parts like turbos, suspension, seats, wheels, you name it they probably have it. Think of it as a pawn shop for cars. Parts are used so the prices are a lot lower. Maybe you could hook me up once you get there. Couple more things about okinawa. 1. do not go to whisper alley and 2 do not go see the banana show outside of kadena.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Launching!

...go see the banana show it's a right of passage... lol
Old 01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm not a marine but i was stationed there from 03-05 on Kadena. not sure if the extremely low morale is the same with the marines as it was in my particular squadron, but if it is - don't believe everyone when they say that the only thing to do is drink every weekend. you're in ******* Japan.... how many civilians can say they've been out there? explore it for all it's worth. go to mainlaind. (sorry...still get a bit heated that i fell victim to the common pessimism for the first year). go up north to Okuma, which is a military/dod-only campgrounds area that supply a beach with some v-ball nets, a few jetski's (that are slow and you have a limited range with them), and of course different camping spots... also byob if i remember right.

if you go to Kadena's ITT office, you can usually find out what's happening around the island (i.e. festivals, island tours, aquarium tickets at low prices, etc.). by the way, the aquarium up north is the world's 2nd largest aquarium. it took me and a few friends appr. 2 hours to walk through it, and we still missed the hammerhead exhibit.

those are just a few things to look forward to about this island. also, id strongly encourage you to get dive certified....that alone will open up a new world over there.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 AM
EW1
Launching!

Originally Posted by NebWS6
...go see the banana show it's a right of passage... lol
just don't eat it
Old 01-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

cool guys, Ill prolly just drink alot of beer and spend alot of time on tech while im over there. I love video games too so i think i can make a pretty good time out of it, maybe find me a nice japanese girl too
Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

I hear there's alot of gay dudes in oki. you should be alright
Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

+2.... One of my drill instructors told me that in boot camp...no explanation or nothing... we were about to graduate, and it was "parting advice" ... I had NO IDEA what it meant....one year later when I went to Japan...I laughed my *** off. Go and see it....you only live once, if you get a chance to go to Thailand or the Philippines jump on that too.

oh...and the Okinawa women for the most part are revolting... just a heads up.... there are a few women running around that are from mainland Japan...that's a different story. WM's think their ******* SUPER MODELS.... I really learned to hate them over there. They bat their eyes at people and get almost anything they want over there. Luckily they were not allowed in my unit...
All that said ... It's a great experience. I had a BLAST!!

Originally Posted by EW1
just don't eat it
Old 01-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

I got 1st MAW MP Div, i think it will be prety cool.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Teching In

I'm on Camp Hansen...for those of you who have had the displeasure of being stationed at Camp Lejeune/Camp Johnson think of Kin Town as a mini-jacksonville with asians. And whoever said the Oki women are hideous are for the most part correct. Find something constructive to do while you are there. Don't fall to the drinking....it'll empty your bank account real quick at 5 bucks a bottle of beer....
Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Teching In

dont go to kin town.....
Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 89formula350b2l
think of Kin Town as a mini-jacksonville with asians.
now that sucks....

Quick Reply: Marines, hows Okinawa?