Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Waiver dq?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Waiver dq?

I am hoping to get a job a weather job in the af. I scored high enough for it, but my recruiter said since I have a waiver I might be dq for my first enlistment. He wont be back till monday to check for me so I was wondering if anyone on here could help me.
By the way, it was for a dwi, and everything has been over w/ for almost 3 months. Any opinions on this job would be nice too.
Once again, thanks for any help.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:51 AM
NKAWTG...N

I'm confused...you're saying you're going to get DQed for having a waiver?

A waiver prevents you from getting DQed...

And first enlistment? So are you prior -e? And whats your status? Separated? Discharged? If so what type?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he means because he needs a waiver he will be Dq'ed. I think a DWI isn't waiverable for a certain amount of time. Good luck OP.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

i dont think those charges will ever be off your record they stay there for 75 years at least here in florida its like that. guess you will have to wait and see if that dwi has a waiver for you, prior drug use and medical conditions are waived to an extent
Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 AM
Launching!

so you dont have a waiver, you have a DWI on your record. Im not in the AF so dont know about the job you are going after, but if it recuires a security clearance, the DWI can affect that, maybe see what the time frame is for getting a security clearance after a DWI. Remember the recruiters job is to get you to join, not to get you what you want. Posibly delay your enlistment to guarantee the job you want?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Sorry, no im not prior. My recruiter gave me a letter to give to the judge, having it removed from my record (or so I was told.) Everything went through, but like adam1982 said, I think its more of a sec clearance thing. And he told me that the time frame is after you first enlistment.
So if it does dq me I wont be eligible for that job untill after my first enlistment. Sucks.
I was just wondering if I can get that job w/ my waiver. He is in training and will get back w/ me on monday, thought maybe someone here might know.
Hope this cleared things up. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
Sorry, no im not prior. My recruiter gave me a letter to give to the judge, having it removed from my record (or so I was told.) Everything went through, but like adam1982 said, I think its more of a sec clearance thing. And he told me that the time frame is after you first enlistment.
So if it does dq me I wont be eligible for that job untill after my first enlistment. Sucks.
I was just wondering if I can get that job w/ my waiver. He is in training and will get back w/ me on monday, thought maybe someone here might know.
Hope this cleared things up. Thanks.
I would check up on that "letter". my recruiter said the same thing about taking care of a bench warrant i had for not attending an alcohol treatment evaluation. then after i'm already in, the background investigator tried saying i was lying about it and wouldn't get a clearance cuz the recruiter never gave any judge any letter at all!

the dwi won't keep you from getting a clearance as long as it's taken care of and you annotate it in your EQIP application. the whole reason behind the background investigation is to see if you are trust worthy and if you HAVE done anything wrong in the past, you told them about it so you can't be blackmailed for it later. yes, i've delt with numorous clearances, i'm a security manager in the navy. honestly it is harder NOT to get a clearance than it is to get one.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Well I gave the letter to my lawyer who gave it to the judge. In which I recieved an order in the courts in the mail removing my probation, so Im assuming he did what he said.
He just made it sound like since I have a waiver, I am not eligable for certain jobs until my second enlistment. Im assuming for security reasons.
Other than that and an failure to appear for a parking ticket my record is ok. Even if they say it has been removed, Im sure the military is going to know about it either way, they just want to make sure it has been taken care of?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Teching In

A guy I work with had a waiver for the exact thing and he got in but he cant get a security clearance.

And didn't u post a month or so ago wanting to do something medical??
Hope you dont get a DWI while in the AF cause Ive seen ppl get a dishonorable for that.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
the dwi won't keep you from getting a clearance.
it most certainly can
Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Launching!

does anyone on here know if this job requires me to get clearance on some level? Was hoping maybe a recruiter or somebody might have seen this. Thanks
Old 01-29-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adam1982
it most certainly can
never said it couldn't, i said it won't as long as it's taken care of and is documented in his clearance application. i know many people that have clearances with dui's and dwi's on their record. but, yes, you are right, it can if the background investigator deams his particular dwi is a problem.

to the OP, what job was it that you are refering too? i'm a lil drunk and don't feel like reading through the whole thread again. just to be clear, ANY job in the military may require a clearance at some point depending on your need-to-know. i know BM's that hold clearances.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
never said it couldn't, i said it won't as long as it's taken care of and is documented in his clearance application. i know BM's that hold clearances.
Alright then, a simple misunderstanding. Like I said I dont know about the AF or what job you are going for specifically. But Im a BM2 and the majority of my time is spent doing law enforcement. For us they are making it a requirement for anyone who carries a gun to have a security clearance. Ive been dealing with this all week. You really need to get more info from your recruiter, it doesnt sound like he did a good job of expalining things to you.