Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Considering Joining The National Guard

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Considering Joining The National Guard

Well my name is chris and I am a senior at my high school. I will admit I slacked off freshman and sophomore year and now am paying the price of it. I got denied to every school except the local community college. The cc is not bad it is one of the best in the state so. My plans were originally do that for 1-2 yrs then up to FSU for the rest of my schooling.

But recently the school had the National Guard come and talk to us Auto academy kids and it sounded like it fit me. I am very patriotic so this goes hand and hand. I guess my question is can anyone give me a little insight on the National Guard and their experiences with them or any service for that matter.

Chris
Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure how the guard is or works, but the navy was the ebst decision i made in my life. be it i waited awhile, didn't join till 22 and am 25 now, but it has helped me more than i could have ever imagined.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a company commander in the Virginia National Guard. My only advice is to do a try one and see if you like it. Then sign up for more years if it's something you want to do.

What job field are you interested in?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Teching In

I was in your same position 5 years back dude, I was all gung ho about the Marines because I didn't think I was going to get into any universities. Finally got into FAU...but If I could do it all over again I would have just gotten my AA at a CC, paid for it out of pocket to save money in the long run, then do the next two years at a university. I am still considering joining the armed forces but leaning more to the Air Force!

I'd say go to school first, if you don't like it you can drop out or finish the semester and then join up...it's much easier to get out of school than it is to get out of the military!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was reading up and they said I can go to school while still be enlisted, and be in it for two years with no chance of being deployed. Oh and by the way I live about 15 min away from FAU lol
Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like the college first option. You still have to sign up for a 6x2 or 8x0 if you do that. If anything, take what the recruiters tell you with caution. They are out to fill slots on a manning roster, that is all. Make sure you understand your options before signing anything.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

I have never had any experience with the military but am at Indiana University currently and started here, if I could go back and do it again I would go to a community college for a couple years and commute from home to save money, then finish up at a university. Hope it helps and good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else
Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dont ever believe anyone when they say you WONT deploy. Im currently active duty and it was the best choice Ive ever made in my life but Im getting out. I knew it was only going to be for 4 years to get all the good stuff you get with serving.

Take anything the recruiters say with a grain of salt. Find out what unit youll be assigned to and then go check it out.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Dont ever believe anyone when they say you WONT deploy. Im currently active duty and it was the best choice Ive ever made in my life but Im getting out. I knew it was only going to be for 4 years to get all the good stuff you get with serving.

Take anything the recruiters say with a grain of salt. Find out what unit youll be assigned to and then go check it out.
Can you tell me "all the good stuff" your talking about?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1998MysticZ28
Can you tell me "all the good stuff" your talking about?
Well for one you may want to check all of the veterans benefits you get in your state. If you are in Fla, I believe members of the NG get half of their college tuition for free. Some states, like mine (Texas) pay for 100% for all veterans. I have 150 credit hours on the house. Just imagine how much money 150 hours is. Then you have VA home loans. That's a big one. Just check the VA site in your state.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, some states have free tuition for veterans. Minnesota is one of them for example.

You'll have an experience like none other in the military. Usually it's a good experience and if you have a problem being immature or if you just want to better yourself, then look no further.

I'm not gonna say you should or shouldn't join the service. If you do decide to do it, make sure you are 100% positive thats what you want to do and you are motivated. If you are a person like me and shady **** all the little things get you down, then it might not be for you.

If you aren't motivated to do it, it'll be a very long haul.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The good stuff is mainly the VA and the GI Bill.

Just like 325 said, do all the research yourself. Youll find tons of things that come with serving that you wouldnt even think about.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Go Air Guard and dont look back... with the gi bill and a kicker(depending on what job you choose, you can get money for school on top of the gi bill) It would be pretty much like getting paid for a full time job. all you have to do is show up once a month and be a full time student.

i did 4 years active duty air force, then got out and joined the guard almost a year later. i have deployed to iraq once for two months with the guard, but i really wasnt forced to go... but i get to double dip in pay from my civilian contractor pay and military pay when i deploy so its a no brainer.

I would say the best thing you could do is ask the recruiter if you can talk to someone from the career field you are interested in. best to hear it straight from the horses mouth.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only problem is I am colorblind. I went to talk to the Navy guys and they really changed my mind about them. Once again thought the color blindness is gonna screw me over, so I was thinking damage control(Firefighting) for the Navy, but part of me wants to be in the Guard. What kind of jobs can I get in the Guard while being colorblind?

Thanks for all the info here guys!

Chris
Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Well im in the navy and it was a excellent decision so far...The GI bill is great, they take 100 dollars a month for a year and give you 80,000 towards schooling...also that looks really good on your resume...and the branch depends on you ...to me this is the order the best 1.)Marines/Army -more discipline , more pride , sticter, excellent comradare (sp!) 2.)Navy-More technically based, alot of winers and complainers 3.)Air Force-Armed Forces tag, but really whimpy 4.)Coast Guard -Puddle pirates

sorry about the big run on
hope it helps
Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91rs350
4.)Coast Guard -Puddle pirates

bwahahahaha ^^^^^ oh man!!! I have heard some funny monikers before but that is pretty funny....

ok....now on to adding info to this thread.... being colorblind does limit your jobs (and depends what color blind you are, can't remember the different kinds) but there are still alot out there.
Here's what you need to do....If you are dead set on being in the national guard, go to the recruiter, see what units are in Florida and which of those units has an MOS that you being colorblind could qualify for.

You can even go to those reserve units to talk with anyone if you wanted, they won't try and sway you as much as a recruiter. Being colorblind and a reservist will limit your choices compared to being active duty, and you may have to travel farther to another unit to accomodate your disability (it's not really, just how they refer to it) but you may just get lucky and find one close to home...

One word of advice though....for instance right now at my unit ,were are only filling certain MOS because of deployments. If someone only wanted a different MOS than what we are looking to fill then until we fill those numbers, said person will have to wait....so be prepard to wait if you are dead set on something specfic.

Last edited by NebWS6; 03-24-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Well im in the navy and it was a excellent decision so far...The GI bill is great, they take 100 dollars a month for a year and give you 80,000 towards schooling...also that looks really good on your resume...and the branch depends on you ...to me this is the order the best 1.)Marines/Army -more discipline , more pride , sticter, excellent comradare (sp!) 2.)Navy-More technically based, alot of winers and complainers 3.)Air Force-Armed Forces tag, but really whimpy 4.)Coast Guard -Puddle pirates

sorry about the big run on
hope it helps
you're an idiot.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well im in the navy and it was a excellent decision so far...The GI bill is great, they take 100 dollars a month for a year and give you 80,000 towards schooling...also that looks really good on your resume...and the branch depends on you ...s
Look up the post 9/11 GI Bill. There is no pay in.

Im red/green colorblind and it pretty much kind of screws you when joining ANY service. You cant do any combat arm jobs but you can be in direct support of them like I am and still do the job. Im a medic and Im with a infantry unit yet I couldnt be in the infantry because Im colorblind but Ive served 4 years at an infantry unit.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Look up the post 9/11 GI Bill. There is no pay in.

Im red/green colorblind and it pretty much kind of screws you when joining ANY service. You cant do any combat arm jobs but you can be in direct support of them like I am and still do the job. Im a medic and Im with a infantry unit yet I couldnt be in the infantry because Im colorblind but Ive served 4 years at an infantry unit.

i paid into the GI bill in 2006...

Quick Reply: Considering Joining The National Guard