Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Leaving for Air Force basic in 1 1/2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaving for Air Force basic in 1 1/2 weeks

Leaving for basic June 17. Was wondering if anyone had any tips? Also can I receive packages while I'm in basic like if I need new running shoes? I'm Air Guard at Whiteman going 2a7x5 Low Observable. Advice is welcome.

Rusty
Old 06-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Good luck! And pretty much the only thing you can receive in basic is pics and letters. Most anything else is "prohibited." As far as shoes, I'm pretty sure they only let you use the shoes they issue you so that everyone is uniform.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Sup man. I just graduated from basic on May 8. I currently attending tech school at Sheppard AFB in TX. Basic isn't really that bad. It's all in what you make of it. Just know that team work is the key for succeeding and you should be fine. As far as packages, I pretty sure that you're not allowed to receive them. Pics and letters are fine though. If I were you I would just where my running shoes there, or you could pay for the ones they issue out there.

Well if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help. Good luck man!!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

We had our's issued... Not sure why they'd change it, its all about being uniform.

Look over some basic commands for marching if you can. Right flank, left flank etc. Although everyone else will have no clue either so it won't matter. Just don't let the first couple days phase you. They're going to be horrendously long and boring and a ton of standing around and waiting. I used the meals to get me through basic. I always looked forward to the next meal... So it was never more than 5 hours away... Once you get through your second week everybody will be in step and things will go smooth. Itll be cake from there on out. First couple weeks are gonna suck tho!!! Its all a game, just play it and you'll be fine.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck, I leave August 2nd for Basic.

As TJ said, Basic can either be good or hell depends on how you look at it and how you take it.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

good luck, just don't take anything personal. play the game and be done with it.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Launching!

wear your running shoes to basic. You will have the option to buy new ones or use the ones you bring with you. Basic isnt bad at all and is fun at times. For the first few weeks everything you do will be wrong so dont get worried about it. Once you get into the 3rd week things will be better and 4th week is when you start doing more of the fun stuff.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

How many of you that went thru basic passed your first PT test when you arrived? I know I won't be able to but I won't be to far off.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Just take it serious and listen to your TI's.

Your time will go by so fast before you know it you'll be heading off to Tech School.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sube
How many of you that went thru basic passed your first PT test when you arrived? I know I won't be able to but I won't be to far off.
Uh... try not to go in out of shape lol!!! You're just going to make it worse on yourself... Ill never forget the week we were in our blues. Some kid comes running out of the chow hall pukin his guts out. Still a rainbow, and the TI's were on him so fast. Ohhhh, what times!

Good advice was givin. Try to follow the directions as best possible. If you have a hard TI, its gonna suck more than not. I have heard stories of laid back TI's and how much of a cake walk it was compared to mine. I still keep in touch w/ my TI though and he was a nut case! But he prepared us!!! He said couldn't tell me how proud he was when i put Staff on. Like one of his kids growin up lol!!! Get through the first two weeks, suck it up and get through it. Its not gonna be bad after that... You'll learn the ropes very fast.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

when i was in basic i thought it was like high school... wake up, eat, go to class, lunch, back to class, then gym, dinner, and repeat . that was the winter session though. summer is wake up, eat, gym then class... & the " fire monitor" is the easiest job, all you do is take out the trash
Old 06-07-2009, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

I was there in the summer and it was wake up, run, shower, eat. And no, no peeing in there anywhere until you got done w/ PT.

And I suggest laundry. You get three hours to yourself. You'll be able to run mail out to the box, and if you have the cajones, get stuff outta the vending machines. I highly recommend laundry crew!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

i was laundry crew until my dorm chiefs laundry bag wasnt closed all the way and i saw his literally **** caked tighty whiteys strewn about and we had to pick them up, i quit and became bed/shoe aligner.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

lol...eeeewwwwwww
Old 06-08-2009, 06:12 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ImpalaSSpeed96
And I suggest laundry. You get three hours to yourself. You'll be able to run mail out to the box, and if you have the cajones, get stuff outta the vending machines. I highly recommend laundry crew!!!
Way to set someone up for failure. That is the kind of **** we love because when you get caught ( you will get caught, either by us or someone in your flight will sing), we have no pitty when we send your a$$ back in time and let you start all over again. You also get to call mommy and daddy and tell them how worthless you are because you can't even make it damn 8 1/2 weeks without some damn candy.
Pretty simple here, do what your told to do when your told to do it. Very easy task we give you, your job is to move as quickly as possible, sound off as loud as you can when told and work as a team within your flight.
Tate
Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dgr00s
i was laundry crew until my dorm chiefs laundry bag wasnt closed all the way and i saw his literally **** caked tighty whiteys strewn about and we had to pick them up, i quit and became bed/shoe aligner.

LOL, thats some funny ****. I also remember when all our laundry came back, some people's underwear still had skid marks on them but nobody would fess up to who owns them.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Bahhh... We made plenty of mail runs, since we weren't allowed any... Never did the candy though.

Basic is a game... Play it and you get through.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee 6
LOL, thats some funny ****. I also remember when all our laundry came back, some people's underwear still had skid marks on them but nobody would fess up to who owns them.
Well when I sweat and have gas, it just happens...

As far as jobs go, i had the one where I tidy up the TI's office. Can't what it's called but it's the best. Just try not to stand out and listen to your TI. Mine set me up great, just listen..

The TI told me i had to make sure no social security numbers were showing in the office, so i had to read through the element leaders "bitching" letters . One of the element leaders caught me and tried to make a big deal out of it. I said, "hey, i'm just doing my job, go ahead and cry/complain some more in your letters"
Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Compg
Way to set someone up for failure. That is the kind of **** we love because when you get caught ( you will get caught, either by us or someone in your flight will sing), we have no pitty when we send your a$$ back in time and let you start all over again. You also get to call mommy and daddy and tell them how worthless you are because you can't even make it damn 8 1/2 weeks without some damn candy.
Pretty simple here, do what your told to do when your told to do it. Very easy task we give you, your job is to move as quickly as possible, sound off as loud as you can when told and work as a team within your flight.
Tate
Tate is prob saying this because there is a chance he could end up being your TI. you better listen up or you will get a extra few weeks added on no problem.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sube
it was easy. i was actually shocked to see so many people not able to do 5 pushups.

Quick Reply: Leaving for Air Force basic in 1 1/2 weeks