Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

(USAF) It's time to retrain, re-enlist or get out...decisions decsions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default (USAF) It's time to retrain, re-enlist or get out...decisions decsions

Right now I am aircraft maintenance. Not really for me, i like working on my own stuff, and i'm kinda burnt out on this.

I still don't know what I want to do in life. I am close to my associates degree, and I could get out and go to school and get a bachelor's degree, but in what? I have no idea. So that doesn't seem like a good idea.

I can retrain, but to what? I think there is a listing on the vmpf? If i have questions though, I'm not sure who I can talk to.

What should I do, I have 11 months left on my enlistment. 4 years is a long time, if i could do 2 years, i wouldn't be so hesitant...i guess the guard is an option too.

Is anyone in here a load master? I'd still like to travel and haven't gotten that opportunity yet.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way the economy is going and all my friends losing their high-paying jobs is enough to make me re-enlist. Are you still a First Term? If so then yea a retraining package should be easy enough. Im gona do the same thing. Im also aircraft maintenance but I currently have 2 AFSC's because of my career field swap. I was thinking about some kind of aircrew or CCT. Something that is a more "military" type job and is exclusive to being in the Air Force. I can paint jets for Delta. Im pretty sure they dont need Aerial Gunners. Also the Guard has great side benefits they dont advertise. The other day ( we have full time technicians in my shop) the guard guys all got a random 20k bonus deposited into their accounts.

You haven't traveled? Wow....kinda weird I've been as close as Florida and as far as Japan. Cant wait to go to Las Vegas for some red flag!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I am a first termer. I really don't need a high paying job on the outside, as long as i can maintain and buy some toys, that's all the money I'll ever need, well and a house payment So i honestly just can't make up my mind. The guard sounds like it could be a great opportunity, but I just don't know who to talk to about it.

No I haven't traveled. I had the opportunity and it slipped by. I grew up in Nebraska my whole life, got sationed here too, and i've been on a week TDY to WA and TX. That's pretty much it.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Think this is an easy decision for me, for you unless you are brick solid on something on the outside. good luck on that though. I seen TOO many people get out and 2 months later realize they F**ked up. I also have many friends with their degrees working at rent a city and etc. what cbailey said, just look in the paper about the economy. Guard is ok, but things can change. My friend got out went guard (in order to be with his wife and kids more) in a unit that had a mission guarding Stateside only. well that changed few months ago now he gets to do 9 months in Afgan and come back for few months just to get sent back again. Good luck with that.

cross train being first term to something you like. There is no guarantee slots unless you do CCT or PJ etc. you want medical or an office job you got decent shot. but remember there is a hell of a lot of civilians getting wise and trying to join up right now do to job loss/economy.

i can't complain. I was first stationed in Ramstein, Germany then Dover, De now i got my ticket back to Europe. Leaving the country in 30 days for England. i been from korea, hawaii, CA, WA to D.C. Spain, Italy, Egypt, Greece, Turkey etc. the chances to travel are there. If you really want to do it you can.

good luck to whatever you choose, i know everyone has different wants and needs.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Don't get out man cross train to TACP. Best job in the AF hands down.Not to mention we have a 90k reenlistment bonus right now. If you have any questions you can ask me.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Teching In

all kinds of great jobs to cross train into, i'm leaving for retraining in august.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by IHaveAHairyCat
Don't get out man cross train to TACP. Best job in the AF hands down.Not to mention we have a 90k reenlistment bonus right now. If you have any questions you can ask me.
Good point. Or go PJ, or CCT. Hell maybe even SERE instructor. If your single, and love doing crazy ****, these are the jobs for you.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Teching In

don't forget EOD, combat weather.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really don't think I am that gung ho guys. I'm 24, I'm a bit brittle for my age and I am not single. I can do excellent on a PT test, but I don't think special forces is for me.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

2mox2!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I really don't think I am that gung ho guys. I'm 24, I'm a bit brittle for my age and I am not single. I can do excellent on a PT test, but I don't think special forces is for me.
intel, atc. ?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

I used to be maint too (B1 crew chief) and I got forced to retrain from NCORP 06 but I went firefighter and I love it....not a lot of fires but we get something every now and then, deployed areas you will see more action. We do more med calls then anything and the training is top notch. I'll be working on my EMT soon and on top of that Im doing a **** load more training. If you have a good crew this job is the ****. I dont have to deal with anyone but my fellow workers and a few bosses and thats it...no one comes to the station unless they have business here, which is rare so its like our own little world and we take care of each other, not like the maint side where you work with so many people theres a **** load of **** ups, kiss ***, bitches to deal with, here its put up or shut up. I love it, best move I ever got lucky enough to do. Also...you get a crap load of time to do school...Im finally working on my CCAF.

If you have any interest in it just PM me.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 AM
TECH Regular

Do you want shift work or normal hours?? If you don't know what you want a degree in, then don't get out and bank on getting the BAH rate. To those that think its impossible to get a good paying job on the outside, you are not looking in the right areas then....two of my coworkers got out and are working for FEMA making $85K/yr. Quite the pay increase from E-6, no?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know there are benefits and stipulations on both sides of the fence. Of course you probably won't be getting 60-70k on the outside without a good degree.

I like the firefighter idea a bit, nothing wrong with helping people, that could be satisfying, but seeing people die after accidents and stuff might not be so great.

Can anyone explain these jobs a bit more, like i have no idea what intel even could do, i worked maintenance, idk anything outside of maintenance, we work long hours and nothing else mattered besides turning wrenches while I was there, i didn't have much spare time.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Why not try a special duty? Be a MTI (that's what I did), MTL, recuriter, or Tech school instructor. This will give you a 4-5 year break and you get a good change of pace. Then after your tour is over then you could return to Maintenance (I go Korea, back to A.G.E. in August) or you could look at cross training then. Not to mention if you want to ever hit SMSgt or CMSgt then special duties really help that package. Something to think about.
Tate
Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Im in ATC and can give you some details if you would like. The 7 levels and up get a special duty pay and our SRB's are one of the highest in the AF.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have it in me to be an MTI, i care too much, idk if i could keep yelling at people like that, i am a good enough actor though. My voice sure wouldn't last long ha ha.

How would I apply for an MTL or recruiter, and is a recruiter even possible at SrA? This sounds like it could be interesting. How long are these special duties typically? Always 4 years or so?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LiveDakota
Im in ATC and can give you some details if you would like. The 7 levels and up get a special duty pay and our SRB's are one of the highest in the AF.
Sure, send me a link or something
Old 07-06-2009, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I don't have it in me to be an MTI, i care too much, idk if i could keep yelling at people like that, i am a good enough actor though. My voice sure wouldn't last long ha ha.

How would I apply for an MTL or recruiter, and is a recruiter even possible at SrA? This sounds like it could be interesting. How long are these special duties typically? Always 4 years or so?
usually 4 years, controlled tour. as long as you been in over 3 or 4 years SrA with ALS, i believe you can apply. Just have a decent record/EPRs. i was considering MTL in one of the tech schools in Florida, but their making me go to Europe.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Don't you have a supervisor? Honestly you should be talking to him/her and your chain of command. I was a crew chief too and retrained into telephone maint. Communications is a good career if you decided to get out later on and get a nice paying job but at the same time it could be very boring IMO. I just turned 10 yrs in and thinking about MTI or OSI, something to spice up my life a bit.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: (USAF) It's time to retrain, re-enlist or get out...decisions decsions