Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Getting Around Car Registration

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Around Car Registration

Hey guys I figured people in the military would know best on how to somehow get around getting registered in say your home state opposed to where your stationed. Right now I'm stationed out at the 32nd st naval base in san diego and my tags are expired from deployment and I REALLy dont want to get registered in california because of all their fees for v8s and especially smog. So basically is there any way of getting a car registered in a different state without getting an inspection done at the state you want to get registered in? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most states let you mail in the registration and some do it online
Old 07-24-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

Is there an inspection in your home of record state?

If they don't do them electronically you will need a number of documents proving you are in the army and was deployed along with a specific POA to have family or a friend sign & register/tag it for you. 'Twas no problem in KS.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
Most states let you mail in the registration and some do it online

Ohio does it this way
Old 07-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I actually finally got it figured out, the first time i called the dmv some lady said i wouldnt be able to do it because i would need my car there to get the inspection but then i talked to some other guys on my ship and they've done it so i called back and talked to some one who knew who they were talking about so i'm good to go. Appreciate it though.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Awake455
Is there an inspection in your home of record state?

If they don't do them electronically you will need a number of documents proving you are in the army and was deployed along with a specific POA to have family or a friend sign & register/tag it for you. 'Twas no problem in KS.
Where abouts are you from in KS? I'm actually from Olathe.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by millertime034
Yeah I actually finally got it figured out, the first time i called the dmv some lady said i wouldnt be able to do it because i would need my car there to get the inspection but then i talked to some other guys on my ship and they've done it so i called back and talked to some one who knew who they were talking about so i'm good to go. Appreciate it though.
Good to hear you got it figured out, I'm in San Diego too but my Camaro is registered in Wisconsin.

Where are you at on 32nd? I'm at North Island now but I was stationed on the Jarrett a couple years ago on 32nd.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs down

just so you know, when your base sticker expires, you are going to have to get the smog redone, which is how CA still sticks it to you. There are ways around this though... PM me.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ They didn't make me do smog again last year when I renewed my sticker, probably different from base to base though.

Civilians just took over our pass and ID at Coronado so I'm sure they will change things, I'm so happy to have to do a smog check just for a base sticker
Old 08-01-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i don't mean to thread jack, but if i get orders to Cali what laws will i be subjected to? i'm active duty and a North Dakota resident , rear mount turbo'ed, straight pipped /no emissions ( no emission / safety inspections in ND) stock rear suspension, front lowered 1.7", window's tinted to i think 30%, no front license plate, not my DD,
Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hawk584
i don't mean to thread jack, but if i get orders to Cali what laws will i be subjected to? i'm active duty and a North Dakota resident , rear mount turbo'ed, straight pipped /no emissions ( no emission / safety inspections in ND) stock rear suspension, front lowered 1.7", window's tinted to i think 30%, no front license plate, not my DD,
if it never goes on base and you have ND plates on it, you will not get bothered at all. If you want to take it on base, then you have a bit of a problem. they expect you to be Cali smog legal if you want to drive on base. There is a way around this, PM me and I will explain. As far as the the no front plate and the tint, you should be good. I have limo tint on the side windows and no front plate, and I have NEVER been bothered about it (closest I got was an MP asked me what state it was in, looked at the back and saw IL plates and waved me through no questions). I have heard of people being hasseled about tint, so I just roll my windows down if I get a bad feeling about the procedure at the gate or I am coming through at night.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 4150
Good to hear you got it figured out, I'm in San Diego too but my Camaro is registered in Wisconsin.

Where are you at on 32nd? I'm at North Island now but I was stationed on the Jarrett a couple years ago on 32nd.
Yeah I finally got it figured out, big relief. I also paid like 400 for registering my car back in KS and then I figured out that afterwards since I am military I dont pay property tax so they cut me a check back for 350 so it worked out pretty good. But I'm on the Antietam, CG54. Are you on shore now in North Island?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by millertime034
Yeah I finally got it figured out, big relief. I also paid like 400 for registering my car back in KS and then I figured out that afterwards since I am military I dont pay property tax so they cut me a check back for 350 so it worked out pretty good. But I'm on the Antietam, CG54. Are you on shore now in North Island?
Yeah I'm on shore duty for about another 9 months, just applied for orders to the USNS Mercy I probably wont get it and end up in a squadron in Lemoore or up at Whidbey Island. Orders to stay in San Diego are hard as hell to come by these days

Quick Reply: Getting Around Car Registration