Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Can anyone tell me the inspection criteria for having a 4th gen in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009 | 11:21 AM
Launching!

Question Can anyone tell me the inspection criteria for having a 4th gen in Europe?

I really need to know what the inspections and requirements are for bringing my 02' Z28 to anywhere in Europe. I have TSP 3" True Duals on the car and I hear about the decibel tests. I really need to know what I should be prepared to get ready for in order to bring my car there. Any advice or input is much appreciated
Old 09-24-2009 | 11:51 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Try this
USAFE Instruction 31-202
Old 09-24-2009 | 01:38 PM
Launching!

I couldn't get the link to work
Old 09-24-2009 | 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

As far as DB it looks like if you are under 95 you should be good to go.

inspection info:

. ENVIRONMENTAL EMISSIONS RESTRICTIONS ON CITY ACCESS

a. The German Environmental Emissions Law that became effective 1 January 2008 authorizes German authorities to establish environmental zones and environmental-protection zones that prohibit motor vehicles from being driven in them without an appropriate emissions-restriction decal. The decal certifies that the vehicle is manufactured to a standard that makes its emissions acceptable in those areas. The decal must be displayed on the lower right side of the windshield (opposite side from the driver).

b. Field registration offices (FRSs) provide initial-issue decals free of charge, but will charge a fee for decals when issued to replace ones that are lost, damaged, or stolen. The FRS will issues these decals based on a determination by the POV inspector. The POV inspector will make appropriate entries on the vehicle mechanical safety inspection record (AE Form 190-1H) in the additional remarks block. The requirements in this paragraph apply to cars, trucks, vans, campers, and recreational vehicles (RVs) with a loaded vehicle weight of up to 7,700 pounds. Motorcycles, three-wheeled vehicles, quads, and Government vehicles are exempted from the requirement to display a decal. Failure of a vehicle to comply with the emissions requirements will not be grounds for failing the vehicle mechanical inspection.

(1) Cars with diesel engines that are model years 1996 and older will not receive a decal: emission category 1.

(2) Cars with diesel engines that are model years 1997 to 2000 will get a red decal: emission category 2.

(3) Cars with diesel engines that are model years 2001 to 2005 will get a yellow decal: emission category 3.

(4) Cars with diesel engines that are model years 2006 and newer will get a green decal: emission category 4.

(5) Cars with gasoline engines that are model years 1992 and older will not receive a decal: emission category 1.

(6) Cars with gasoline engines that are model years 1993 and newer will get a green decal: emission category 4.

(7) POVs with diesel engines that do not meet the standards to comply with the emission requirements or those that have a lower rating than green (emission category 4) may be modified or converted to the higher standards at the owner’s expense. POV owners who decide to do this must get the appropriate certification from a German Government-approved repair facility or from the authorized agencies that certify compliance such as TÜV or Dekra. When the owner provides proof in writing to the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) that the vehicle has been modified or converted, the RMV will be issued a new emissions decal that matches the certification provided. This will be mailed to the POV owner. Vehicle inspection stations do not issue emissions decals.

c. Emission categories for vehicles in excess of 7,700 pounds loaded (for example, trucks, RVs) are as follows:

(1) Vehicles with diesel engines that are model years 1996 and older will not get a decal: emission category 1.

(2) Vehicles with diesel engines that are model years 1997 to 2001 will get a red decal: emission category 2.

(3) Vehicles with diesel engines that are model years 2002 to 2006 will get a yellow decal: emission category 3.

(4) Vehicles with diesel engines that are model years 2007 and newer will get a green decal: emission category 4.
Old 09-28-2009 | 10:24 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by usafcrewchief01
I couldn't get the link to work
Try it at work , the link is good. Works at my house and at work.
Old 09-29-2009 | 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Are you heading to Germany? England? it depends. I lived in Germany and now i am in England and I still have my tint, and blackouts on the back. In England I passed inspection and they didn't even do a decibal test for me.

I would say bring it no matter what you can and will find a way to pass a inspection. If you don't bring it you will regret it deeply. I love having my car over here. People look and stare and i get endless comments. yesterday i stopped at mcdonalds and had half dozen people around my car when i came out and tried to leave.
Old 09-30-2009 | 05:34 AM
12 Second Club

The inspection on my car was just a half *** walk around the car and check the brakes. I'm glad they didn't rev my car because I know it wouldn't pass exhaust sound level.
Old 10-08-2009 | 09:29 AM
Launching!

Aviano just makes sure you have no broken parts and nothing leaking, dont matter how loud it is as long as you have an exhaust system on it....for inspections at least
Old 10-11-2009 | 06:00 AM
Banned

i was wondering this too. I might be going to Stuttgart Germany and i want to take my Camaro but there is no smog place in the states that'll pass me so i wasn't sure how Europe works. that order isn't very informative either.
Old 10-12-2009 | 09:05 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cookba
i was wondering this too. I might be going to Stuttgart Germany and i want to take my Camaro but there is no smog place in the states that'll pass me so i wasn't sure how Europe works. that order isn't very informative either.
For emissions its just a visual with no sniff . That regulation is very vague and it contradicts itself. Plus you have inspectors interpreting it the way they see fit. I believe a six grade class could have written a better regulation then USAFE, USAREUR,NAVEUR, and MARFOREUR combined.
Oh yeah , I forgot about the 400liters a month fuel ration.
Old 10-13-2009 | 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are coming to Germany check out fbodyeurope.org

Here is some fun reading for here.
http://forum.fbodyeurope.org/phpBB3/...hp?f=21&t=8281

http://forum.fbodyeurope.org/phpBB3/...hp?f=25&t=8338

http://forum.fbodyeurope.org/phpBB3/...hp?f=11&t=8394

http://forum.fbodyeurope.org/phpBB3/...hp?f=30&t=8194
Old 10-14-2009 | 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

That last thread is mine. I ended up selling my car partly because of the pain in the *** it was to get it to pass inspection.
Old 10-16-2009 | 07:56 PM
On The Tree

I'll be in Germany in March, Schweinfurt specifically.

I have the Strano Springs, I'm guessing I should wait until I get there to put them on.

How's the gas over there, regarding the octane level? I've heard rumors about them having 96, 98 and 100 octane all over the place there. Is this true?
Old 10-17-2009 | 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

subscribing for future reference
Old 10-17-2009 | 05:29 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
I'll be in Germany in March, Schweinfurt specifically.

I have the Strano Springs, I'm guessing I should wait until I get there to put them on.

How's the gas over there, regarding the octane level? I've heard rumors about them having 96, 98 and 100 octane all over the place there. Is this true?
Yes its true, but .... there is always a reason. The reason is, gasoline in Europe is measured using RON. So there is no magical fuel over here. As a rule of thumb, just subtract by 5 points and you have basically 91, 93,and 95 octane gas. So there is really nothing special about the gasoline except when you purchase it on the local economy.
Old 10-17-2009 | 05:48 AM
Banned

so after reading from the other forum, there is no way my car can pass once im done modding it. so i guess i wont be taking the car to Germany if i get orders then
Old 10-17-2009 | 05:55 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cookba
so after reading from the other forum, there is no way my car can pass once im done modding it. so i guess i wont be taking the car to Germany if i get orders then
What other forum are you talking about?
And what carwith what mods?
Old 10-17-2009 | 06:19 AM
Banned

i was talking about the fbodyeurope.org links. and my car should be done modding with items in sig by December and i would be going to Germany in January.
Old 10-17-2009 | 06:28 AM
roy
TECH Resident

My car passes and its modified pretty good. For the most part to pass inspection you have to have exhaust noise down to 95 decibels;car 11cm from the lowest hard point; No tint on the driver, passenger and front windshield.
Old 10-17-2009 | 06:32 AM
Banned

from what everyone was saying, if you have mods beyond bolt ons its too hard to pass. what mods do you have?

Quick Reply: Can anyone tell me the inspection criteria for having a 4th gen in Europe?